in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-05-2011 5:14 PM by KMA. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-03-2011 11:02 AM

• KMA
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-13-2007
    • Posts 101
    • Silver Member

Config Tool & Parallels/Vista on Mac - Help!?

I am using the Config Tool version 3.87 on a freshly installed Mac (Snow Leopard), under Parallels Desktop 6 and Windows Vista Home Premium.

There is no available Beo5 configuration saved on the new Mac, so I need to start from scratch.

The Config Tool is working okay, but for some reason it cannot connect to Beo5. The software works in "unconnected mode" no matter what I do.

Strangely, Parallels recognizes Beo5, it shows in the connected devices menu, but Parallels keeps giving the error messge: "The USB Device is not available in your virtual machine. Please try again."

I've tried everything imaginable over the last couple of hours... Does anyone have any tips on what could be the problem, and how to get the Virtual Machine / Config Tool to connect to Beo5?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! 

KMA

Current setup: BeoVision 10-46 (grey speaker cover, AR, motorized stand) with Apple TV 2 (FireCore), Sony BDP-S780, Mac Mini, BeoLab 11 (silver), Beo5, BeoSound 8 (red speaker covers). Accessories: A8 Earphones, wine bottle coasters.

B&O product history, in chronological order since 1990, after the onset of the treaded BeoVirus (I tend to upgrade/change my setup "infrequently"): BeoSystem 2500 (with blue speaker covers), BeoLink 5000, BeoSystem 7000 (complete; silver/black), BeoLink 7000, RedLine 60.2, BeoVox Penta, BeoVision MX4000 (black, motorized floor stand), BeoCord VX5000 (black), BeoSystem 4500 (complete), BeoCenter 9500, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 6000, BeoVision Avant (original, 28" AR, VHS, green), BeoCenter 2300, BeoVision 3-32 (grey speaker frame, AR, motorised cabinet), DVD1 (grey), BeoCord V8000 (grey), Beo4, BeoSound Ouverture (w/ floor cabinet stand), BeoVision Avant RF (grey, 32", AR, VHS), BeoSound 9000, BeoCenter AV5 (blue), BeoVision 1 (yellow, motorized floor stand), Beo1, BeoSound Century (yellow), BeoCenter 1 (blue, AR, motorized floor stand), BeoSound 1 (silver, floor stand), BeoVision Avant RF DVD (grey, 32", AR), BeoVision 7-32 MkI (AR, motorized floor stand), BeoLab 3 (black), BeoSound 2, BeoVision 10-40 (grey speaker cover, AR, motorized stand).

• 09-04-2011 10:17 AM In reply to

Re: Config Tool & Parallels/Vista on Mac - Help!?

Hello!

It's said that the Beo5 must be charged completely; otherwise it can not be recognised; personal opinion: I'm working with XP (premium or...not the basic version, but I don't thinks it makes any difference) because on my mac I do not have Parallels; last time I updated my Beo5 it was not charged and there wasn't any problem; sometimes it can not be recognised even when fully charged...so it's not a bug it's a feature....

Do not thinks that's a problem working without config - I erased the old one - and build up a new config...

regards Elmar 

• 09-05-2011 5:14 PM In reply to

• KMA
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-13-2007
    • Posts 101
    • Silver Member

Re: Config Tool & Parallels/Vista on Mac - Help!?

Thanks for the tip and advice, Elmar.

Actually I got the problem solved, and it was a strange one:

My Mac Mini has 4 USB ports, 3 of which were used by external hard drives. I connected the Beo5 to the 4th available port.

However, for some reason, under Parallels, Vista reserves 2 USB ports for the Mac's built-in features: 1 for bluetooth and 1 for infrared. The actual ports are of course not used with those built-in peripherals. So that leaves only 2 USB ports that Vista recognizes as real USB ports.

Once I plugged out the external drives, and connected Beo5 (taking 1 port, leaving 3 physical USB ports completely unused), everything worked like a charm.

So Vista maps 2 physical USB ports for internal stuff, and with 3 drives and Beo5 connected at first, from Vista's point of view "6 USB ports" were being used, 2 of them totally invisible to the system (including the Beo5).

I noticed this by accident: I was wondering why only 2 of the 3 connected external drives were available in Vista, looked at the config and noticed that Vista saw all 4 USB ports already as taken, even though one was actually free before Beo5 was connected.

Long story short, with my Mac Mini / Parallels / Vista configuration, as long as I'm using only two physical USB ports, with Beo5 connected to one of them, there are no issues at all. Whether this is a bug in Parallels or in my installation of it, I do not know.

KMA

KMA

Current setup: BeoVision 10-46 (grey speaker cover, AR, motorized stand) with Apple TV 2 (FireCore), Sony BDP-S780, Mac Mini, BeoLab 11 (silver), Beo5, BeoSound 8 (red speaker covers). Accessories: A8 Earphones, wine bottle coasters.

B&O product history, in chronological order since 1990, after the onset of the treaded BeoVirus (I tend to upgrade/change my setup "infrequently"): BeoSystem 2500 (with blue speaker covers), BeoLink 5000, BeoSystem 7000 (complete; silver/black), BeoLink 7000, RedLine 60.2, BeoVox Penta, BeoVision MX4000 (black, motorized floor stand), BeoCord VX5000 (black), BeoSystem 4500 (complete), BeoCenter 9500, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 6000, BeoVision Avant (original, 28" AR, VHS, green), BeoCenter 2300, BeoVision 3-32 (grey speaker frame, AR, motorised cabinet), DVD1 (grey), BeoCord V8000 (grey), Beo4, BeoSound Ouverture (w/ floor cabinet stand), BeoVision Avant RF (grey, 32", AR, VHS), BeoSound 9000, BeoCenter AV5 (blue), BeoVision 1 (yellow, motorized floor stand), Beo1, BeoSound Century (yellow), BeoCenter 1 (blue, AR, motorized floor stand), BeoSound 1 (silver, floor stand), BeoVision Avant RF DVD (grey, 32", AR), BeoVision 7-32 MkI (AR, motorized floor stand), BeoLab 3 (black), BeoSound 2, BeoVision 10-40 (grey speaker cover, AR, motorized stand).

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)