in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-16-2011 6:31 PM by Evan. 46 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (47 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-05-2011 5:54 AM

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Some things...

... need to be just thrown in a skip.  These included.

Just because they have 'B&O' on them, they must be worth something.

Wrong.

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 05-05-2011 7:13 AM In reply to

• JC
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Yorkshire / UK
    • Posts 621
    • Founder

Re: Some things...

Not in the best nick[:'(] no kidding!!

• 05-05-2011 9:48 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

There are not THAT many Beovox 1702's still around. When was the last time you saw a pair ?

They are in bad condition, hard to judge from that photo, but if they play fine there will at least
    be a couple of very nice dometweeters for someone in need.
    That tweeter saw wide use in those years and was even found in the Beovox 5000 mkIII.

I actually use a pair of Beovox 1702 in my repairshop, they are very fine speakers for their size and at least
    in my opinion, they send the CX speakers and their sterile sound to the attic.

Someone should pick these up. I may be able to find a pair of front grills.

Martin

• 05-05-2011 10:04 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

I'm actually tempted by these simply for the challenge of restoring them. Anyone got any replacement frets?

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 05-05-2011 11:40 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

That's the spirit !

I already found one fret, if I dig deeper I may be able to find one more.

Martin

• 05-05-2011 12:50 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

.... Geeked

• 05-05-2011 1:03 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Don't mind him, Chris.
    Laughing

Martin

• 05-05-2011 1:06 PM In reply to

• pepps
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-09-2009
    • Faversham, Kent
    • Posts 51
    • Silver Member

That's hilarious! I'm almost on the floor laughing at that pic after the other comments.

Big Smile

I have a pair of 1702s too, sans frets I'm afraid. And joking aside I have to agree they sound the billy business compared to a lot of modern equiv's.

Getting back to the ad on eBay though, I love the use of 'boot still in shot' in the photograph. As a photographer myself it's a technique I use often to help convey a feeling of real quality in my work.

• 05-05-2011 1:17 PM In reply to

pepps:
    Getting back to the ad on eBay though, I love the use of 'boot still in shot' in the photograph. As a photographer myself it's a technique I use often to help convey a feeling of real quality in my work.

Beats having dangling bits reflected in a mirror I guess! LaughingLaughingLaughing

-mika

• 05-05-2011 1:26 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Dillen:

Don't mind him, Chris.
    Laughing

Martin

If it wasn't for the classical sculpture in his last post I'd call him a Philistine.

Keep digging Martin & if you find another fret we'll just have to prove him wrong on this one Yes -  thumbs up

Chris.

@ pepps - what's your technique for achieving these excellent "boot shots"? I ALWAYS end up having to photoshop feet into my photo's.Hmm

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 05-05-2011 2:20 PM In reply to

Lee,

Do you remember Andy's face when we came back from France in the van?  I think Martin would have killed us! Laughing

• 05-05-2011 2:31 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Yes.. I seem to remember it was a mixture of shock, horror and possible flatulence.

For those who are wondering, Peter and our very own Jandyt went down to France to collect a van load of items for the intended 'BeoMuseum' to be run by the former owner of BeoWorld.   However, he decided to leave them in a damp, cold cellar - which destroyed most of the pieces before anything could even be done with them.  Peter and Andy went down to collect their own pieces and clear the rest - and on the way home they swung by LifeStyle AV to "lighten the load.."

I hired a skip - and we preceded to vigorously lob in all manner of what we termed 'crap' but to poor Andy it was all 'hallowed B&O'..  His face was a picture of sadness, but Peter and I got into the swing of things and really had a good 'cull' of poor products.  I'm sure these BeoCenter 2100's and BeoVox X25's etc are looking down from BeoHeaven waving their fists..  but i don't care.

I think if Martin could time travel, he'd now be in the skip with a shield fending off the pieces and telling us to save them.. Laughing

Lee

• 05-05-2011 2:50 PM In reply to

Dillen:
    There are not THAT many Beovox 1702's still around. When was the last time you saw a pair ?

I bought a pair to use with the ambiophonics facility of my BM 4400 - not totally successfully as it turns out, so I tested them for a while as main speakers, using them on a shelf and backed against the wall.  I like them - much warmer, than, say, CX100s, and certainly less tiring to listen to. 

I'm beginning to worry that I seem to have acquired  a load of 2-way Beovoxes, almost by accident - some S40s from the local tip, a pair of cheap S50s,  without foam rot,  because I wanted the stands from them for the S120/M120.2s that I have been looking for -  fruitlessly - for over a year, and the 1702s.  The 1702s aren't as good as the S40s but they are more accurate than the S50s and are better finished, with lovely figured and now restored Rosewood (and with immaculate grilles!)

If you could get them for a fiver, I think they may be worth the effort of restoring.

Cleve

• 05-05-2011 3:31 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

9 LEE:

I hired a skip - and we preceded to vigorously lob in all manner of what we termed 'crap' but to poor Andy it was all 'hallowed B&O'..  His face was a picture of sadness, but Peter and I got into the swing of things and really had a good 'cull' of poor products.  I'm sure these BeoCenter 2100's and BeoVox X25's etc are looking down from BeoHeaven waving their fists..  but i don't care.

I think if Martin could time travel, he'd now be in the skip with a shield fending off the pieces and telling us to save them.. Laughing

Probably.
    And there will be a reason for that; Quality !
    (Well, maybe with the exception of the X25's and the japanese Beocenters that are no better
    than contemporary Philips, Panasonic etc.)

I know that to some people older things are nothing but junk but I am also aware that other people see things differently
    and to some B&O things is strictly business where some things are simply not worth the space they take up.

For a collector, like me, the business value couldn't matter less.
    I see the Beovox 1702 as a collectable speaker, it is getting scarce and the more 1702's that gets
    thrown away, the more collectable the remaining will be.
    You are welcome to throw any and all of your old B&O out but don't expect others to do the same.

These Beovox 1702 may have been abused and most likely never saw any maintenance in their lifes but are still working.
    Most (if not all) Beovox CX100, despite being many years younger, will have disintegrated automatically by now and
    will be practically worthless or at least a bit costly to get going again, no matter
    their optical condition.
    You cannot buy any new B&O with wooden finish today (which is a shame in my opinion) and the wooden cabinets
    can be restored. The alu CX ones can't be restored and you can't buy a new cabinet either.
    Besides, the sound of the 1702's is far less tiring than that of the CX's in cabinets that are not very much larger and they
    are not even three-way speakers.

But let's see what happens with these poor things.
    I'm pleased to see that the seller chose to list them rather than just junk them.

Martin

• 05-05-2011 3:35 PM In reply to

sounds to me like a case of the beovirus!!

• 05-05-2011 4:09 PM In reply to

• Rich
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-10-2010
    • Orlando, Florida, USA
    • Posts 1,089
    • Gold Member

9 LEE:

Yes.. I seem to remember it was a mixture of shock, horror and possible flatulence.

For those who are wondering, Peter and our very own Jandyt went down to France to collect a van load of items for the intended 'BeoMuseum' to be run by the former owner of BeoWorld.   However, he decided to leave them in a damp, cold cellar - which destroyed most of the pieces before anything could even be done with them.  Peter and Andy went down to collect their own pieces and clear the rest - and on the way home they swung by LifeStyle AV to "lighten the load.."

I hired a skip - and we preceded to vigorously lob in all manner of what we termed 'crap' but to poor Andy it was all 'hallowed B&O'..  His face was a picture of sadness, but Peter and I got into the swing of things and really had a good 'cull' of poor products.  I'm sure these BeoCenter 2100's and BeoVox X25's etc are looking down from BeoHeaven waving their fists..  but i don't care.

Lee

And if I could, I'd be right next to Martin doing my part to rescue and adopt.

Current primary listening:  SMMC20EN -> BG4002 -> BM4000 -> Beovox M70

• 05-05-2011 4:45 PM In reply to

To be fair, most of what we chucked was either broken, badly scarred or water damaged. Most of it was mine originally - even the best pieces were in a sorry state - Frede can attest to this as he had the unenviable task of attempting to restore my 5000 system - I am not sure that any of the originals survived!

We did however keep a large amount - I know Tim came and collected some interesting bits and those pieces that were rare were also kept. There was however a certain sense of barbaric joy that day though! Besides, the rarity of Beocenter 2200s took a turn for the better!

• 05-05-2011 5:02 PM In reply to

• Rich
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-10-2010
    • Orlando, Florida, USA
    • Posts 1,089
    • Gold Member

Peter :

Besides, the rarity of Beocenter 2200s took a turn for the better!

Interesting that you mention the Beocenter 2200.  I'm going to look at one locally this weekend being sold for $125.

• 05-05-2011 5:37 PM In reply to

Rich:
    Interesting that you mention the Beocenter 2200.  I'm going to look at one locally this weekend being sold for $125.

Skip it. (pardon the pun)

-mika

• 05-05-2011 6:40 PM In reply to

Agreed.

If you really want one -wait three weeks for your excellent adventure.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 05-05-2011 8:22 PM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

I have some Flat paneled 1802's(?) which look like they have the same drivers... I actually think they sound really nice in a small room at ear level!

In fact while they don't exactly blow me away, they never leave me feeling dissapointed or fatigued, and are always enjoyable to listen to with flat tone controls, although loudness helps to lift the bass to more pleasing levels! They can be driven harder than you would think before distorting too!

Chris I say go for it!

Olly.

• 05-05-2011 10:52 PM In reply to

I agree with Martin, save it, my wife saves just about everything she thinks could be used for something or other in do time, I throw everything away if its not easy repaired, exept for Beo items, I even keep my old caps and whatever I change in my Beo items, who knows one day you just need that certain little pin or an old cap that still works.

Look at the job Rich did with the frets, without the old ones, a very diffecault job, and exept for the cloth, it came out perfect.Big Smile

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 05-06-2011 2:29 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

OK, you've convinced me & I've placed a bid. Watch this space Geeked

Don't anyone else go bidding on them & spoiling my "fun" Hmm

Chris.

PS - everyone keep looking for another fret to match the one Martin has found.Smile

• 05-06-2011 2:50 PM In reply to

• Rich
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-10-2010
    • Orlando, Florida, USA
    • Posts 1,089
    • Gold Member

That's the spirit!  Good luck!

@Mika - good one

@Jaff - Gee, how much trunk space do I need to reserve?!?!

The 2200 inspection was for a friend since I know (holds thumb and forefinger apart 1.5 cm) this much about B&O and he knows zero.  He wants to get back into vinyl on the cheap.

• 05-06-2011 3:11 PM In reply to

Medogsfat:
    OK, you've convinced me & I've placed a bid. Watch this space

Great thread.

Good luck Chris.

P.S. Does this mean a certain pair of "stone" CX's may find a home as well? Whistle

• B&o bottle opener
Page 1 of 2 (47 items) 1 2 Next >