in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-23-2011 1:11 PM by Dillen. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-21-2011 4:35 AM

• classic
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Venø - Struer / Denmark
    • Posts 224
    • Founder

Beogram 1000 motor

About 90% of the motors of the Beogram 1000 needs restoration.

About 50% of these motors cannot be restored.

It is not possible to restore these motors to run stable with correct speed.

We have seen a pattern of this problem

It seems to be the same for all faulty motors - the impedance of one of the coils change.

The faulty coils are lower (ohm) than OK coils.

Why? ----  I think it is because of shorted windings.

The very easy method

Measure the impedance of the coils of the motor.

We measure a motor coils before we even try to restore it.

If we see a difference of some 4% -> 5% of the coil impedances the motor is rejected and replaced.

Please see the attached PDF file.

/Frede

Beolab 5000 -  "If another amplifier sounds different then it needs repair!"

• 03-23-2011 1:11 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: Beogram 1000 motor

Thanks, Frede.

I never thought of that and never had the problem either but I haven't done that many Beogram 1000's.
    I have noticed something else, though. I'm sure you and others have too.

Symptoms are that the motor will either not start at all or it will start far too slow and only
    slowly gain speed. After 10-20 minutes of warming up this way the speed may be correct but
    there's also a chance it won't ever reach that point.

The motor bearings are sintered bronze. The material is poreus and has been oil-filled from the factory.
    The motor shaft runs inside the bearings on a thin film of oil, sucked out from the pores. When running
    properly there's no metallic contact from the shaft to the bearings (and no mechanical wear to speak of).
    Over the years, some of the oil is used, some evaporates, the rest dries up and becomes a fairly hard sticky mass.
    It's very difficult to get the dried oil out of the bearings, several turns with heat, vacuum, isopropanol alcohol,
    thinner etc. will help a bit and the same procedure is used for pressing in fresh good old SAE30 oil
    but still, after this treatment many motors won't run properly.
    That is, the motor may run fine when put together and tested but let it sit for a week or two and it will have
    the same speed problem again. This can be very frustrating.

The reason is not easy to see with the naked eye but using a microscope you can see that the
    inner surface of a good bearing has its pores intact whereas the problem bearings have their pores smeared out.
    This happens when the oil is used up or has dried to a point where no oil can be sucked out from the pores
    anymore, leaving the shaft and bearings running metal against metal.
    The bronze material used is very soft. Bronze is a soft metal in itself and the pores make it particularly delicate.
    If the pores have been smeared out the bearing has been destroyed and will never run fine again, no matter
    how much oil you add.
    A "healthy" bearing may be saved and run fine again for many years.

In other words; If your Beogram is still running fine, it will need service now while its bearings
    are still good enough to re-oil !

The above applies to all Beogram using 1-phase AC motors; Beogram 1000, 1001, 1200, 1202, 1203, 1500, 2000,

3000 etc.
    Beogram 1000 came with 4 different motors (if I remember correctly). They are built slightly different
    and have different bearing sizes but the principle is the same.

Theoretically, these 1-phase AC motors of the "short-circuit" type has no initial torque so an extra startup
    winding has been added. That same winding also guarantees that the motor starts up the right way every time.
    This low torque makes them particularly sensitive to proper lubrication.

Martin

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)