in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-31-2011 7:24 AM by Søren Hammer. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-06-2011 1:27 PM

I wonder how this will sound

I have been wanting one for awhile and now I have one !!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=300531272540&si=MRquen63qUIbHSve4D8tC0OmSmE%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

What are your experiences with this thing. Does it even work ?

• 03-06-2011 1:51 PM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

Re: I wonder how this will sound

I have one. I even posted a thread about it, see here.

Nowadays I have it at work with my BM4500 setup (BM4500+CD4500+Beovox 3000 flat panels on front, then the amb. unit and CX50s as rear speakers). It does work and sounds good, on certain sources. Depending on the recording there might be sound from the back or very little. As it's not a true surround system one could argue if it sounds realistic or not but it does spread the music nicely all over the room, no need to raise volume. And makes a certain feel of space.

The thing to avoid with amb. setup is a low-bitrate MP3s, the compression causes all sorts of noises on the rear (as it affects the phase).

The rear sound is mono, but you need to have two speakers connected. If you have an extra set of Beovoxs around, it's worth trying how it sounds. The adapter itself can be bought cheaply. I remember seeing at least one on Lifestyle-Av's website.

Bang & Olufsen - The art of controlling sound, picture and light

• 03-06-2011 2:31 PM In reply to

I have a BM4000 that I use (on ocaasion) with Uniphase fronts and CX100 as sides (rear speakers) so I am familiar with Ambio. I am curious to hear how it  will work accross a range of reciever 2400, 5000, 7700 just to name a few.

• 03-10-2011 4:42 PM In reply to

I like the wat it works with vinyl LP''s on my BC 7700.

• 03-11-2011 4:13 AM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

Is there actually a 'circuit' in this thing? I use to achieve a cool surround effect by connecting two speakers across the positive speaker outputs and having all balance control set to neutral as possible - this mean't only differences in the channels came through the rear (no dialogue or other mono sounds) and the effect could be remarkably good with some sources whether stereo or dolby!!! Of course there was no clever processing or steering etc.. but for what it cost who cares!!

Olly.

• 03-11-2011 6:00 AM In reply to

Step1:

Is there actually a 'circuit' in this thing? I use to achieve a cool surround effect by connecting two speakers across the positive speaker outputs and having all balance control set to neutral as possible - this mean't only differences in the channels came through the rear (no dialogue or other mono sounds) and the effect could be remarkably good with some sources whether stereo or dolby!!! Of course there was no clever processing or steering etc.. but for what it cost who cares!!

I havent looked inside to see but it is my undersanding that it is a handful of resistors and some kind of transformer, although since the unit does not require its own power draw I couldnt see it being much of a transformer.

In the end its a bit of a "gadget". It works and I like it  but it not really all that necessary. The music sounds just as good without it. Works best with vinyl and is at it least with digital type MP3 files.

• 03-11-2011 8:11 AM In reply to

You should scan your manual and send it in to beoworld! 

• 03-11-2011 5:53 PM In reply to

They may already have it. If not I would be happy to do that for them.

• 03-14-2011 7:43 PM In reply to

Step1:

I used to rig that kind of stuff up as a kid (including a series pot to adjust the volume of the "surround" speakers).

I remember very well that it sounded great when you turned the rear speakers on.... and even better some hours later when you turned them off!

-mika

• 03-15-2011 7:32 PM In reply to

I have a couple of these adaptors; I know why I bought the first (simple curiosity) but cannot quite explain why I 'need' two! I agree with the remarks that they work well with some recordings - not so good with 'close-miked' ones IMHO - and also very well with some FM broadcasts. I haven't tried one with DAB; so that's the next experiment!

I conclude that it's the old Haffler technique - the difference signal from the R & L taken from the +ve 'speaker terminals - with some attenuation, and the choice of full-range or limited. My thought is that they work better with vinyl than CD (apparently) because older recordings tended to have fewer channels mixed down (fewer tracks on the recorder!) thus had more 'distance microphones' and thus more room ambience, rather than reverberation added by the producer. I am ready to be corrected by anyone with greater knowledge or understanding!

Usefully, the 'ambio' box allows the effect to be switched on or off without any unplugging of leads. Unfortunately, the leads still have to be there, cluttering up the room - but folk who have embraced 'home cinema' don't seem to mind!

If one has a BeoMaster 4000, it has the 'ambio' built-in, I think using the same circuit.

• 03-16-2011 10:44 PM In reply to

Real Simple - Beethoven yes, Rob Zombie nahh.

• 03-30-2011 4:35 PM In reply to

How many in here has that box? Just found one a couple of days ago, I am planning to find a decent P45's and use them as rear speakers in my Beolab 8000 setup. Sounds good with ambient and roomy music, have just had a test run with the "Love Over Gold" album by Dire Straits. I quite like this thirty-some year old gadget Smile

Beocenter 9300, Beogam CD50, Beocord 5500, Beomaster 3400, Beomaster 4400, 2 Beogram 4000, Beomaster 8000, 2 beogram 8002, Beovox S-75, Beovox MS150.2, Beovox RL6000, Beovox S-35, Beomaster 6000, 2 Beocord 9000, Beocord 8004, Beocord 5000, Form 1, 2x Beolink 1000, Beo4, MX3500, LS4500. Born 1993.

• 03-30-2011 6:08 PM In reply to

Søren Hammer:

How many in here has that box? Just found one a couple of days ago, I am planning to find a decent P45's and use them as rear speakers in my Beolab 8000 setup. Sounds good with ambient and roomy music, have just had a test run with the "Love Over Gold" album by Dire Straits. I quite like this thirty-some year old gadget Smile

What I equate it too is the old  Bose spatial equalizer that they sold in coonjuction with the complete 901 system back in the early 80's. As i recall that paricular setup invoved using the 901's as front and 301 or 601's as sides or rear speakers. The old Bose amp that came with it was a thing of beauty.

I use mine with a BC7700. I cant even fathom what it  would be like with a Beolab 8000.

I am curious to try it with some of those Phase4 LP's that Peter Pans was flashing. I have a small collection of them myself.

• 03-31-2011 7:24 AM In reply to

I have just set it up properly, but I am needing a pair of small speakers instead of the S75's. I have just connected the box on "Speaker 2" to get the load down to 4 ohms (standard impedance for Beomaster 8000) instead of the 16 ohms achieved by the original serial connection. Recording Dark Side of the Moon onto a TDK MA110 at the moment. I have one Phase 4 LP which I also will try to play sometime, wondering how it could be any different.

Beocenter 9300, Beogam CD50, Beocord 5500, Beomaster 3400, Beomaster 4400, 2 Beogram 4000, Beomaster 8000, 2 beogram 8002, Beovox S-75, Beovox MS150.2, Beovox RL6000, Beovox S-35, Beomaster 6000, 2 Beocord 9000, Beocord 8004, Beocord 5000, Form 1, 2x Beolink 1000, Beo4, MX3500, LS4500. Born 1993.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)