in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-03-2011 6:07 AM by Thomas. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-02-2011 12:36 PM

• Thomas
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2010
    • England
    • Posts 12
    • Bronze Member

Beo6 Y-FI?

Hello dear chaps!

This might be a silly question, but if all B&O equipment is Infrared, why is the Beo6 WIFI based?

Ok, it probably has IR too, but why make a WIFI remote at all when all of your products are IR?

They already have Masterlink to provide access to ethernet based-devices like home automation systems, can we assume that their product line might be moving away from IR and over to ethernet..?

What other reason would they be doing this for?

Thomas

• 03-02-2011 12:46 PM In reply to

Re: Beo6 Y-FI?

It's prepared to move a lot more data a lot faster (think cover art for example) than could ever be realized with transfer over IR. The other obvious advantage is not needing a line of sight with the controlled equipment.

Most of this is only needed for future products and applications. You're right that it has IR as well for compatibility with existing products, both B&O and non-B&O.

-mika

• 03-02-2011 8:47 PM In reply to

As B&O's ability to interface with lighting, shades, HVAC, and other home systems, don't you think it would be nice to know whether the lights are on in your dungeon or the temperature of your bottomless pit?

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 03-02-2011 8:47 PM In reply to

Duplicate post. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 03-03-2011 4:10 AM In reply to

• Thomas
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2010
    • England
    • Posts 12
    • Bronze Member

Dont get me wrong, I understand the benefits of wifi and welcome the addition, but just thought it strange when none of theirproducts support wifi yet!

Thomas

• 03-03-2011 6:03 AM In reply to

So you'd rather they had a load of products that support wifi, and no remote to control them?

I think the key is 'yet'.  BS5 will be updated shortly, I believe.

• 03-03-2011 6:07 AM In reply to

• Thomas
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2010
    • England
    • Posts 12
    • Bronze Member

Just fishing for information ;)

Thomas

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)