in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-30-2007 5:17 AM by Coolskin. 101 replies.
Page 1 of 5 (102 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-16-2007 6:02 PM

BM-Link 1.5

Hello BeoWorld Users!

I'm happy to announce that a new version of BM-Link is released.

The main new feature is the ability to control Front Row if you have an IR Eye connected directly to the BeoPort box.

Some bug fixes, and enhancements to N.RADIO are also included.

Download here

Anders
  • 04-16-2007 6:07 PM In reply to

Re: BM-Link 1.5

odlund:
    Hello BeoWorld Users!

I'm happy to announce that a new version of BM-Link is released.

The main new feature is the ability to control Front Row if you have an IR Eye connected directly to the BeoPort box.

Some bug fixes, and enhancements to N.RADIO are also included.

Download <a href="http://www.odlund.se/bmlink/">Here</a>

Anders

Cool, that´s really great! If this is your present for the new forum, here comes a big "Thank you" from Berlin!

beoberlin

PS: Does the new version supports the famous "fast-scrolling" in FrontRow?!
  • 04-16-2007 6:10 PM In reply to

That is great! Downloaded! What I would really like is the ability to control the rest of my system from my Beolink PC2 though. It doesn't seem to work though every now and then, I do get sound when it is switched on in another room.
  • 04-16-2007 10:52 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 176
    • Bronze Member

odlund:

That ... is ... AWESOME!

Store Manager Bang & Olufsen Broadway 927 Broadway New York, NY 10010
  • 04-17-2007 3:20 AM In reply to

Hi Anders,

Excellent. 

Thank you very much.

With the recent purchase of my new Macbook I had opted to disconnect the BeoPort and us the Apple remote enhanced with Mira.

http://twistedmelon.com/ 

But after upgrading to BM-Link 1.5 I am rethinking this choice. 

Mira has the ability to assign which IR input it uses (built in, Keyspan, etc) but I am not getting a pop-up for BM-Link or BeoPort.

Is there something that can be done on your end to enable Mira to see BM-Link/BeoPort or is it up to Mira to add support?

Also of interest (although I have not explored it much) is Griffins Proxi.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/proxi/

It seems to me that if these enhancement programs can see BM-Link/PeoPort then the sky is the limit.

Looking forward to any info.

Thanks again for 1.5

Regards, Neil
    No matter where you go, there you are.
  • 04-18-2007 5:57 AM In reply to

• Luigi
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Figueres (Spain)
    • Posts 3,013
    • Founder

I bought a MacBook in February and I absolutely love it. At the moment, I have beoport connected to my pc. It works great, and I can watch TV, V.tape, DTV,…. 
    Yesterday I downloaded and installed the new software bm-media 1.5 on macbook. I had to update firmware of beoport. (from 1.30 to 1.31). I had fear, for a while I thought the new firmware didn't be compatible with pc. But I didn't have any problem and it works perfect on pc and mac. With the new software is possible to control coverflow. It is awesome!

You say you can control frontrow. I don't know how do it! At the moment, pressing n.music I can control coverflow.

Now I can only use: n.music, n.radio, up and down, an left and right of Beo4. The colours buttons doesn't work.

Which are the buttons for controlling frontrow?

Luis

• 04-18-2007 8:51 AM In reply to

In order to control Front-Row you need to have an IR-eye connected to the BeoPort box, then you start frontrow by selecting either PC or L-PC on the Beo4 (which one to use is determined by the setting in the preference pane)

In response to the question about Mira

I didn't know about this application, but from reading on it's webpage it seems like in order to use the BeoPort + IR-eye to use that I would somehow have to make a driver so the computer noticed the beoport as some kind of IR input device (pure speculation here)

As you might have noticed, there is a folder called AppleScript on the disk image, in that folder you can find instructions how to make your own applescripts and how to make BM-Link execute these, this is a completely unsupported feature – as in, if you experience problems with your own scripts, you will have to solve them yourselves :) this could be used to control for example QuickTime Player.. VLC, mplayer... maybe CenterStage or some of the other 3-rd party media center applications there are out there.
  • 04-18-2007 10:23 AM In reply to

Anders

Thank you for this excellent update of BM-Link, including Front Row support. A full "BeoMedia" solution hidden in a Mac Mini, exactly what I wanted.

Willem 

• 04-18-2007 11:02 AM In reply to

• francis
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Münster, Germany
    • Posts 108
    • Bronze Member

Hello Anders,

thanks for sharing this with us!

I'm a relatively new Mac user, running a Mac Mini in my living room as a media server connectec to a BV7. Currently I am using the Apple remote to control Front Row, and Beo 4 to control my B&O setup.  I allways tried to avoid to have more than one remote, so this is the only disadvantage of this solution.

I have neither experience with your BM-Link nor with a Beoport connected to a Mac. However as I own (but currently do not use) a PC2/Beoport with infrared eye , there seems to be a new option for me to come back to a "single-remote-solution". Is my understandig right that by using my Beoport with your new version of BM-Link I could control Front Row and the associated applications like Itunes and Iphoto fully with my Beo 4, in the same way as with the apple remote?

Best regards

francis

|BV 7-32|BL 7-1|Ouverture|BL Penta|BL 6000|BL 2000|Beocom 6000|Beotalk 1200|MX 4000|Beoport|Beo4|Beo5|A8|A9|

• 04-18-2007 11:07 AM In reply to

Francis

Exactly what you describe is the intended usage of the infrared eye. Control using the Apple remote and the Beo 4 is a bit different, but to avoid having one extra remote it should do the trick. 

Please report back with your experience...

Anders
  • 04-18-2007 11:29 AM In reply to

• francis
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Münster, Germany
    • Posts 108
    • Bronze Member

Anders

thanks for your immediate reply.

Just another stupid question: If it is only my intention to control Front Row with Beo4, would it be sufficient to connect Beoport via USB to the Mac or do I have to connect it to the masterlink network and soundcard in any case? It is clear that controlling the Mac out off  link rooms requires ML connection but that would not a priority for me.

And finally: Which A.Option do I have to set for Beoport?

francis

|BV 7-32|BL 7-1|Ouverture|BL Penta|BL 6000|BL 2000|Beocom 6000|Beotalk 1200|MX 4000|Beoport|Beo4|Beo5|A8|A9|

• 04-18-2007 11:42 AM In reply to

Yes it would be sufficient to connect the USB, the ML part of BM-Link has nothing to do with the Front Row controlling part.

The options you are interested in for A.OPTION programming are

[ ] IR eye only responds to LINK commands (Option 4) 

under Advanced

and 

[ ] Activate Front Row using PC/L-PC

under Interaction,

Make sure they are set to appropriate values, wether you want to use Link commands or not to activate Front Row.

The reason for two different options is due to the following possible scenario.

You have your computer and your Television in the same room, you don't want commands sent to the TV to be intercepted by the BeoPort, thus you tell BM-Link to only respond to LINK commands. But, you want to use the Normal non-linked PC command to activate Front Row, since the volume controls on the Beo4 will then still work on the TV.

I hope my reasoning about the dual options is clear to you.

• 04-18-2007 12:55 PM In reply to

• Luigi
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Figueres (Spain)
    • Posts 3,013
    • Founder

wv02447:

Anders

Thank you for this excellent update of BM-Link, including Front Row support. A full "BeoMedia" solution hidden in a Mac Mini, exactly what I wanted.

Willem 

Exactly! Adding 2-3 IR-Eye (36€ x 2-3) connected together on beoport (300€), you can watch movies, covers of albums, photo,... So You need only one macmini (599€). It's the perfect solution. 
    Pressing V.Mem (video-mac connected), PC you get Frontrow.
    Pressing V.Mem (coverflow actived in full screen), AV-N.music you can watch and listen at the same time.

I don't alredy need: beomedia, Ir-trans, sconi, Apple TV, 2-3 mac, airport extreme,...

Luis

• 04-18-2007 5:08 PM In reply to

• Matt
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Posts 13
    • Bronze Member

Very nice work on version 1.5.
    The extra features are very nice, such as the N.RADIO, and Frontrow

Just a question about my setup: I now use beoport to distribute N.MUSIC and N.RADIO. Using ML it is available at all B&O systems.
    Ultimately I was hoping to use beoport to control frontrow (I now can), but also to control it on all systems (I cannot, because the infrared must be connected to the beoport)

My idea is to use my Beovison 7:
    -To distribute the video from the Mac using the build-in modulator in the BeoVision 7. I need to convert DVI/component signal of the Mac to  RGB (The modulator cannot distribute HDi signals). So the video signal will go into the BeoVision 7 by using a scart and assign it in the BeoVision setup to "PC" 
    -Beoport (with no infrared attached), will be used to control the Mac and to distribute sound using ML. 

In above setup you have video and music in every (link) room. 
    Of course this setup will not work, yet? Is it possible to program into BM-Link an extra feature so that this setup works?
    The only obstacle is that frontrow should be controlled sameway as N.RADIO and N.MUSIC.

Thanks
    Matt

• 04-19-2007 2:22 AM In reply to

This seems nice new features on new BM-Link

So I wonder why NOT B&O can do the same with Beomedia1; N.Music/N.Radio scrolling tags on BS 9000???

On BM Link it seems to work even on BV7Yes

• 04-19-2007 2:29 AM In reply to

The problem with that setup would be that over ML, the computer only receives N.RADIO and N.MUSIC commands, and those are already used for their respectvie functions, so those are the only functions BM-Link can provide to the link system
  • 04-19-2007 3:20 AM In reply to

• Matt
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Posts 13
    • Bronze Member

Odlund
    I understand the problem. So in "theory" the only way my setup would work is that the eprom in the beovision could be updated with a STB which emulates the commands for the Apple Remote.
    Setup would be video and audio signal via scart into the BeoVision 7. Assign scart to an av and select "Apple Remote stb" from the list.
    Any change that there will be an eprom update available? Seeing the posts regarding Apple TV, I'm not the only one with this problem.

regards
    Matt 
  • 04-19-2007 5:01 AM In reply to

Maybe you could use the N.RADIO and N.NUSIC codes and use the MENU button while in N.MUSIC or N.RADIO to activate front-row...

This would fit nicely, as with the apple remote you also call frontrow by pressing MENU.

P.

• 04-19-2007 6:48 AM In reply to

• Luigi
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Figueres (Spain)
    • Posts 3,013
    • Founder

http://beoluigi.blogspot.com/search/label/Comunicacion%20y%20Pruebas

Luis

• 04-19-2007 10:11 AM In reply to

How do I activate on older Beo4's? I.e. the 1998 model?

Thanks

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 04-20-2007 3:49 AM In reply to

• Matt
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Posts 13
    • Bronze Member

Luis,
    Seeing the pictures on your site, there is indeed an easy way to solve the problem.

If Odlund would add one extra option in the BM-Link, namely that you could choose the default interface: ITunes or Frontrow we have the (mine...)problem solved.

If you choose as default interface: ITunes, everything works as version 1.5, so N.MUSIC and N.RADIO are selected using the ITunes interface.
    If you chooose as default interface: Frontrow, (and have the video of the mac connected to a beovision) you can select PC to get video on the beovision. To scroll through the interface and get/select sound or select IPhoto or Quiktime Movies you have to select A-N.Music

If you use a converter to get the video signal from component to RGB, you can even get all the features in link rooms with tv!
    Odlund will this work, or is this easy to implement?

Regards,
    Matt 
  • 04-20-2007 5:27 AM In reply to

• Luigi
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Figueres (Spain)
    • Posts 3,013
    • Founder

Hi Matt!

The new software works perfect! No need any changes.

If you press n.music/n.radio, you get n.music, n.radio through iTunes. If you select fullscreen in coverflow of itunes and the video of the mac is connected to a BV master, pressing V.Tape/V.Mem you can watch the coverflow of itunes, and pressing A-N.music/A-M.radio (new Beo4) you can control it.

If you want control Frontrow in a BV (master o link), you need 2-3 IR-eye connected directly to the beoport. It's the only way. The beovisions doesn't accept the PC command, only the beoport.

I am going to buy 2 IR-Eye. This is the solution.

To scroll through the interface and get/select sound or select IPhoto or Quiktime Movies you have to select A-N.Music

I thought I could have sound when I select v.tape. I have connected a video and stereo rca wires to BV3-32.

Luis

• 04-20-2007 6:31 AM In reply to

• Matt
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Posts 13
    • Bronze Member

Hi Luis,

I agree, this solution will work, albeit that if Odlund would add my suggested feature it saves a lot of infrared eyes and cables.

Question,

How did you succeed in distributing the video signal to the other tv's?  The modulator in the BeoVision is not able to distrubute a component/DVI signal of the Mac. I saw all kind of suggestions, but maybe there is an easy way?

thanks

Matt 

• 04-20-2007 8:06 AM In reply to

• Luigi
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Figueres (Spain)
    • Posts 3,013
    • Founder

Matt:

Hi Luis,

I agree, this solution will work, albeit that if Odlund would add my suggested feature it saves a lot of infrared eyes and cables.

A.Mem control the sd card of BS4 and HD of BS3200. There will be a conflict.

Matt:

Question,

How did you succeed in distributing the video signal to the other tv's?  The modulator in the BeoVision is not able to distrubute a component/DVI signal of the Mac. I saw all kind of suggestions, but maybe there is an easy way?

thanks

Matt 

Take a look here: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=4CF4C697&nclm=4CF4C697

Luis

• 04-20-2007 8:43 AM In reply to

• francis
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Münster, Germany
    • Posts 108
    • Bronze Member

Hi Luis

Luigi:

If you select fullscreen in coverflow of itunes and the video of the mac is connected to a BV master, pressing V.Tape/V.Mem you can watch the coverflow of itunes, and pressing A-N.music/A-M.radio (new Beo4) you can control it.

What if (like I have) a HDR1 is connected to the BV? Pressing V.Mem usually switches on the HDR and displays the menu?

francis 

Page 1 of 5 (102 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >