in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-21-2011 5:28 AM by Kokomo. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (24 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-17-2011 1:56 AM

• Toubro
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 263
    • Founder

Finally got my BV9, now I have some questions

Hi guys.

I finally got my BV9. I have been putting money aside for ages and I finally came across a good deal, so I am now the proud owner of a BV9 Mk.III Smile
    It's a tight fit between the BL1's, but I have to see if I can rearrange it somehow, (even though I last year ran all the wires inside the wall). 

I have been very afraid, that it wouldn't be able to live up to my dreams, but I absolutely love it and I am amazed by the picture quality. I do have some viewpoints and questions, though and I hope you could give me some opinions and answers.

1. I actually think the sound from my Avant was thicker, more rich. On the BV9 the treble is very dominating, although I have tried fiddling with the settings.

2. Although the standard setting for TV is SPEAKER3, it turns on the rear speakers and if I look in the SOUND SYSTEM menu, it says something like Input: PCM 2.0, Output: "Dolby Pro Logic IIx movie speaker 5". I do not understand this at all. Also the frontspeakers are not nearly as present as they were with the Avant.

3. Antenna input. It has the DVB-HD module fitted, but it also has an analogue input on the TV chassis next to the HDR1 cables. Is this so the HDR can record without using the BS3s tuner??

4. I don't quite understand the TV/DTV buttons. On my neighbours BV10, they only use the TV button, whereas I have to use the DTV button, although we have the same TV channel package from the TV signal provider.

5. I'd like it to control my PS3 via a RE*BL, my Macbook Pro and perhaps a WD TV Live. How du I update the PUC list, and how do I see what's already in it??

• 02-17-2011 2:20 AM In reply to

Re: Finally got my BV9, now I have some questions

congratulations, looks gorgeous

• 02-17-2011 2:40 AM In reply to

Toubro:

Hi guys.

I finally got my BV9. I have been putting money aside for ages and I finally came across a good deal, so I am now the proud owner of a BV9 Mk.III Smile
    It's a tight fit between the BL1's, but I have to see if I can rearrange it somehow, (even though I last year ran all the wires inside the wall). 

I have been very afraid, that it wouldn't be able to live up to my dreams, but I absolutely love it and I am amazed by the picture quality. I do have some viewpoints and questions, though and I hope you could give me some opinions and answers.

1. I actually think the sound from my Avant was thicker, more rich. On the BV9 the treble is very dominating, although I have tried fiddling with the settings.

* I know that the Avant is damn good soundwise, I'm still very happy with mine in the bedroom. About the BV9 soundwise sorry I have only heard it in the B&O store and not in a home, but I would like to have a BV9 over my BV5 soundwise, because of the ALT speaker in the BV9 maybe will match my BL5 speakers better.

2. Although the standard setting for TV is SPEAKER3, it turns on the rear speakers and if I look in the SOUND SYSTEM menu, it says something like Input: PCM 2.0, Output: "Dolby Pro Logic IIx movie speaker 5". I do not understand this at all. Also the frontspeakers are not nearly as present as they were with the Avant.

* What are the settings in the sound menu, for the front and rear speakers? 

3. Antenna input. It has the DVB-HD module fitted, but it also has an analogue input on the TV chassis next to the HDR1 cables. Is this so the HDR can record without using the BS3s tuner??

* Sorry don't know (On my HDR2 are there 2 antenna connections input/output, maybe someone can answer if it's the same in the BV9 with builtin HDR2)

4. I don't quite understand the TV/DTV buttons. On my neighbours BV10, they only use the TV button, whereas I have to use the DTV button, although we have the same TV channel package from the TV signal provider.

* Sorry don't know

5. I'd like it to control my PS3 via a RE*BL, my Macbook Pro and perhaps a WD TV Live. How du I update the PUC list, and how do I see what's already in it??

* Sorry don't know

Hello

Congrats! it looks great :-)

So you skipped the BV10 and bought the BV9 - Damn that was a big step ;-)

I have some answer in your quote :-) 

Regards Anders

• 02-17-2011 6:45 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

Congratulations Toubro, but, without wishing to pour cold water on your happiness, I have to be honest and say I think that the Avant looks better in its position than your new TV. 

The area looks very cluttered as you say and I think that the floor position does not do the new set any favours whatsoever.

I know you did not post in order to get negative comments, but for advice, so I apologise if you are offended. It's a personal opinion but I am trying to be positive also.

• 02-17-2011 7:31 AM In reply to

In the Option menu, under Sound, the default audio setting is set to Speaker 5, and you could change this to Speaker 1,2, or 3.

The BS3 sound processing is converting any sound into a Dolby compatible surround matrix. Speaker 5 is what my BV 9 is set to, even though I have 7 speakers.

Enjoy!

B
  • 02-17-2011 9:38 AM In reply to

Also remember that your avant had a stereospeaker, while your BV9 has a mono centerspeaker. With the BV10, you are able to use "TV" to turn on "DTV". This can be modified in the settings, when the analoge tuner is set to "OFF". This however is not possible on a BV9.

/Ehlerz

BV7-40 MK IV, BL5´s, BL3´s, BL 3500, BL7-4, BS3000, BC 6-23, BV 1, BS3.

• 02-17-2011 9:46 AM In reply to

the tv looks really nice and i for one think it looks good where it is. it must make for a very cinematic experience enjoy.

• 02-17-2011 12:59 PM In reply to

• Emil
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 98
    • Bronze Member

Congrats to your new tv! Indeed an amazing set and something I really would like to have one day as well to replace my BV5. Did you buy it via DBA.dk or a second hand dealer? I have noticed that they seam to go for a little less money than in Sweden. More sets to choose between I guess...

Inflagrante

• 02-17-2011 3:19 PM In reply to

Lovely TV and speakersSmile.......i'm jealous..Stick out tongue

Michael

BV5, BV Avant, MX4000, MX1500

BS 7000, BS 5500

Penta III, Penta II, BL 4000, RL 60.2,  RL 35, CX-100 Alu

BL 7000, MCP6500, MCP5500,  BL 5000,  Beo4 (x2), BL 1000 (x2)

• 02-17-2011 3:53 PM In reply to

Kokomo:

Congratulations Toubro, but, without wishing to pour cold water on your happiness, I have to be honest and say I think that the Avant looks better in its position than your new TV. 

The area looks very cluttered as you say and I think that the floor position does not do the new set any favours whatsoever.

I know you did not post in order to get negative comments, but for advice, so I apologise if you are offended. It's a personal opinion but I am trying to be positive also.

At the moment it is a little bright being completely in silver. I think if you change the speaker cloth to black, it will soften it a lot and it would match perfectly with the Beolab 1s!

I'm very envious, congratulations on your purchase!!! Yes -  thumbs up

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 02-18-2011 12:41 AM In reply to

I think just taking the picture off the wall and moving the CD rack and the set up would be amazing.

Have you changed the speaker distance settings? (if they are there)

Beosystem 7000/6500- Beolab 4000 - Beosound 1 - A8 - Earset 3 - Beo4

• 02-18-2011 2:08 AM In reply to

• Toubro
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 263
    • Founder

Thanks for your thought guys.

Yeah, I have thought about it for a long time and decided that I'd rather have a used BV9 than a new BV10, because of the BS3, the plasma and the design.

Kokomo:

Negative viewpoints are fine as long as there is an explanation for it. I would love for the setup to have more space, but at the moment, this is not possible.

bsantini:
    In the Option menu, under Sound, the default audio setting is set to Speaker 5, and you could change this to Speaker 1,2, or 3.

The BS3 sound processing is converting any sound into a Dolby compatible surround matrix. Speaker 5 is what my BV 9 is set to, even though I have 7 speakers.

The problem is that it is set to Speaker 3, that's why I don't understand it.

Ehlerz:

Also remember that your avant had a stereospeaker, while your BV9 has a mono centerspeaker. With the BV10, you are able to use "TV" to turn on "DTV". This can be modified in the settings, when the analoge tuner is set to "OFF". This however is not possible on a BV9.

/Ehlerz

I did think about the mono/stereo speaker difference, and the fact that it is an ALT unit.

Makes good sense with the TV/DTV issue. Thanks for the info.

Emil:

Congrats to your new tv! Indeed an amazing set and something I really would like to have one day as well to replace my BV5. Did you buy it via DBA.dk or a second hand dealer? I have noticed that they seam to go for a little less money than in Sweden. More sets to choose between I guess...

Yes I did buy it through DBA. I was actually a lot cheaper in Jutland compared to Sealand. I'm very happy with the deal.

Jonathan:

At the moment it is a little bright being completely in silver. I think if you change the speaker cloth to black, it will soften it a lot and it would match perfectly with the Beolab 1s!

I'm very envious, congratulations on your purchase!!! 

It's kind of a palette of colours at the moment as my rear BL6000s have black frets, my BL1's have charcoal grey and my BV9 is light grey.

I have been thinking about giving them all the same colour, but I don't know if this should be Charcoal or another.

TheMajor:

I think just taking the picture off the wall and moving the CD rack and the set up would be amazing.

Have you changed the speaker distance settings? (if they are there)

I have changed the distance, but I ought to have another look at it this weekend and try a little finetuning. 

• 02-18-2011 4:02 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

"Negative viewpoints are fine as long as there is an explanation for it. I would love for the setup to have more space, but at the moment, this is not possible."

Hi Toubro, I suppose my comments may have come across as totally negative. Here I'm trying to be positive. A couple of the reasons I don't think it works have been mentioned elesewhere.

Firstly, the picture(s) above the set. Why? What do they add? Nothing!

The TV is already a frame displaying art as pictures, it doesn't need more above or around it. If you want something on the wall, how about an item of wall sculpture perhaps in alluminium, chrome or light metal to relate to the B&O materials? 

Next, move the set up onto the wall (if possible!). Align the base of the TV frame to the line on the speakers where the metal and speaker cloth meet. This will mean that the eye scans across them and will see a 'connection' and symmetry between the TV & speakers.

Finally and perhaps worst of all, get rid of the CD stand! Leaving aside the fact that it has no place alongside the beautiful B&O setup, it is leaning at an angle which totally conflicts with the symmetry of the the rest of the equipment. 

Hope you take this in the very positive spirit it is intended.

BTW very envious!!

• 02-18-2011 6:10 AM In reply to

Toubro:

Jonathan:

I'm very envious, congratulations on your purchase!!! 

It's kind of a palette of colours at the moment as my rear BL6000s have black frets, my BL1's have charcoal grey and my BV9 is light grey.

I have been thinking about giving them all the same colour, but I don't know if this should be Charcoal or another.

I think charcoal to match your BL1s. The 6000s are far enough away not to matter as much. It would be a different story if they were red or green, but charcoal being a lighter black they'll match well. I think the light grey washes out the BV9 a little. The darker cloth will hilight the frame a little more, which will make it look better switched off. It will also make the picture a little sharper and larger looking as it won't be so lightly framed underneath the picture.

I love the TV, and I think it just looks that little bit better (dare I say perfect) with a darker fret! Yes -  thumbs up

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 02-19-2011 9:12 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Well, you can't wall mount BV9 mr toubro..

Besides, it your house and you should do what ever you want to do, you're the one living in it. :)

i think with this TV, who cares what's in the back ground, just look at it! - WOW such a cool telly *i - want - one*

(sobs) 

;)

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 02-19-2011 9:46 AM In reply to

Dave:
    Besides, it your house and you should do what ever you want to do, you're the one living in it. :)

Now that is a fact - all the rest is just opinions!

But, one doesn't have to agree with criticism to use it to an advantage. A fresh pair of eyes can spot problems in arrangements that have just grown over time so that the owner doesn't see them. So, here's mine...

The Avant looks dwarfed by the Beolab 1s, so the BV9 looks much better between them. But the corner is now very crowded. Most of that will be saved by simply moving the CD rack somewhere else, and then you can move the left Beolab and the TV slightly to the left to give them more air.

And I agree with Kokomo that the picture frames really need to go, even more so with the BV9. The setup will look so much better after these small changes.

Sorry for damaging the left Beolab in Photoshop Wink

-mika

• 02-19-2011 5:30 PM In reply to

tournedos:

The Avant looks dwarfed by the Beolab 1s, so the BV9 looks much better between them. But the corner is now very crowded. Most of that will be saved by simply moving the CD rack somewhere else, and then you can move the left Beolab and the TV slightly to the left to give them more air.

And I agree with Kokomo that the picture frames really need to go, even more so with the BV9. The setup will look so much better after these small changes.

Yes I agree, a few small tweeks would improve the overall look of the set up. Put the CD stand somewhere else and move the left speaker further over into the corner, then move the BV9 slightly left to give a little more gap between Tv and speakers on both sides.

Thats just what I would try.

Fabulous TV and BL1's

Michael

BV5, BV Avant, MX4000, MX1500

BS 7000, BS 5500

Penta III, Penta II, BL 4000, RL 60.2,  RL 35, CX-100 Alu

BL 7000, MCP6500, MCP5500,  BL 5000,  Beo4 (x2), BL 1000 (x2)

• 02-19-2011 5:31 PM In reply to

• Toubro
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 263
    • Founder

Kokomo:

"Negative viewpoints are fine as long as there is an explanation for it. I would love for the setup to have more space, but at the moment, this is not possible."

Hi Toubro, I suppose my comments may have come across as totally negative. Here I'm trying to be positive. A couple of the reasons I don't think it works have been mentioned elesewhere.

Firstly, the picture(s) above the set. Why? What do they add? Nothing!

The TV is already a frame displaying art as pictures, it doesn't need more above or around it. If you want something on the wall, how about an item of wall sculpture perhaps in alluminium, chrome or light metal to relate to the B&O materials? 

Next, move the set up onto the wall (if possible!). Align the base of the TV frame to the line on the speakers where the metal and speaker cloth meet. This will mean that the eye scans across them and will see a 'connection' and symmetry between the TV & speakers.

Finally and perhaps worst of all, get rid of the CD stand! Leaving aside the fact that it has no place alongside the beautiful B&O setup, it is leaning at an angle which totally conflicts with the symmetry of the the rest of the equipment. 

Hope you take this in the very positive spirit it is intended.

BTW very envious!!

Please don't missunderstand my comment, I actually ment that your criticism was explained, but it's fine that you list your reasons Smile

The Tiësto vinyls on my walls are very special to me, which is why they are there. I would love to give them a better placement, but I live in a rather small flat, and don't know where else to put them.

The BV9 is a floor model only, which is one of the main reasons that I saw this as the only model that could replace the Avant. 

The CD stands are B&O and I am very happy with these. Again I agree, that they make it look very crowded and I am going to move them, I just need to think of another place for them.

tournedos:

Dave:

Now that is a fact - all the rest is just opinions!

But, one doesn't have to agree with criticism to use it to an advantage. A fresh pair of eyes can spot problems in arrangements that have just grown over time so that the owner doesn't see them. So, here's mine...

Sorry for damaging the left Beolab in Photoshop Wink

As long as you don't damage it in real life Stick out tongue

• 02-19-2011 6:38 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Congratulations on the BV9 Toubro!  An absolutely fabulous TV and the best B&O set i've ever owned to date.  

Some may remember the early days of BeoWorld where I proudly posted a photo of my BV5 and BeoLab 5's... which were all almost touching each other.  I just HAD to have the BL5's, no matter what - even though they had about 25cm space either side of the discs. I feel a bit silly now, but at the time I really didn't care (or know better!).

Your BV9 is definitely an improvement on the Avant, and I'd love to have seen the expression on your face when you turned it on.  There's always a special moment when you get a much bigger screen in place of the old one - it makes you smile from ear to ear.  Not something you can explain to just anyone though, just fellow geeks enthusiasts..  *cough*

I do agree that although the Tiesto framed picture is superb, it really distracts you from the image on screen.  You really need a clear wall around the TV, otherwise it just gets 'messy' on your eyes and they can't help but occasionally wander from the screen.  I always recommend keeping the wall around it clear.  The worst i've ever seen is a screen directly above a fireplace with a roaring fire in it.  Not only did the screen get hot, but the fire drew your gaze towards it so much i never really paid much attention to the movie!  I felt like a dribbling pyromaniac!!

I'd also look at any way possible to move those lovely BeoLab 1's as far apart as you can.  The ideal soundstage i've personally found for the BeoLab 1's are each one around 6ft away from either side of the Screen/TV.  This really brings the stereo imaging to life, but it's fairly obvious this cannot be achieved here - so i'd simply recommend having them as far apart as space will allow.  You'll really feel the benefit of them more this way, i promise.

In all though what a very, very good looking setup.  Enjoy! Smile

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 02-19-2011 7:39 PM In reply to

Q: for Lee, re the above:

Would having the AST upgrade in his BV9/BS3 help with the Beolab 1's less than ideal separation?

B

• 02-19-2011 7:46 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

bsantini:

Would having the AST upgrade in his BV9/BS3 help with the Beolab 1's less than ideal separation?

If i'm honest..  I've no idea.. Geeked

I've never heard the BL1's running with the BS3 AST upgrade, so in fairness cannot comment.  However, Adaptive Sound Technolgy was invented by people who wear white coats, have beards and wear socks with open toed sandals - so it must be very good indeed, and be an improvement for sure..

• 02-20-2011 6:56 AM In reply to

How much is a bv9 ?

• 02-20-2011 7:31 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

New, they were £16k+..

Used £6-9k

Lee

Smile

• 02-21-2011 5:28 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

The worst i've ever seen is a screen directly above a fireplace with a roaring fire in it.  Not only did the screen get hot, but the fire drew your gaze towards it so much i never really paid much attention to the movie!  I felt like a dribbling pyromaniac!!

Great when watching "The Towering Inferno" though!

Page 1 of 1 (24 items)