in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-09-2011 2:15 AM by TheMajor. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-08-2011 8:37 AM

NON B&O sub

I said to myself I wont be stubborn anymore :) and made deal with my friend who run's HI END shop to take couple of non B&O sub's to try ...
    We made a deal, he will give me 3-4 sub's ( different quality and price range ) to try for couple of days.
     First one is cheep Yamaha, which determine my statement that sub is not good for music, but I will try 3 more and than I will make my final statement.
    Friend were told me that he had surprise for me on the end which will change my opinion. I'm not denying, I'm patient :)

I will report you for each of sub's, and keep you up to date :)
    All sub's are active

This Yamaha SW030 is slow, no dynamic at all, bumpy and doesn't go that low. Probably for movies is good, but I will not test it on movies, only for music.
    Fine for jazz and classical, but you can not listen Spor at all :) when you listen dynamic electronic music you hear, most of the time, only low buzz which is really annoying ...
    And on low volume not that deep, which is important for sub.

Conclusion : Yamaha is for low grade home theatre setup, for movies and some tv.

Next one is Monitor Audio MSW 10
    I'll let you know my impression with this sub Smile

when your Black Label begin to taste like juice just take shot or two of Absinthe and after that quench with some vodka, if you still feel juice like take beer with grappa !

• 02-08-2011 8:56 AM In reply to

Re: NON B&O sub

Why are you comparing these low-end subs to B&O subs?  The two you have picked are 100 and 130W subs?  You certainly can't compare this to an 850W BL2!

Go and find a truly high-end sup from another manufacturer and I think you will find most, if not all, will blow the B&O out of the water in terms of sound quality.

• 02-08-2011 9:05 AM In reply to

As I said above, I never listen music with sub's and my idea was to compare every aspect of sound quality from low to hi end. So in order to hear good stuff I need to listen some of the bad one.

I take it like a little experiment. I know "money=quality" but in the terms of sub's I think you can get really more for less. For example, price wise, I think you can get from 500-700 e really good stuff that will blown away B&O sub's ... 

I will see ... :)

when your Black Label begin to taste like juice just take shot or two of Absinthe and after that quench with some vodka, if you still feel juice like take beer with grappa !

• 02-08-2011 9:30 AM In reply to

Can I ask how are you connecting the subs?

Beosystem 7000/6500- Beolab 4000 - Beosound 1 - A8 - Earset 3 - Beo4

• 02-08-2011 10:18 AM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

DIN to RCA.... used a KEF PSW 2500 in my set-up with Beolab 8000 and Beolab 6000 (some time ago), only the sub is still part of my home theater setup ....

Ralf

My Beo: Beosound 3000, Beolab 4000, Beo 4 DVD,  Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000, Beovox S45.2 with Stands, Beosystem 7000 black with Beolink 7000, Beolink 1000, F1000 (3 cubes), Beovox 5000, Beovox 3000, Attyca 1.

• 02-08-2011 10:33 AM In reply to

kallasr:

DIN to RCA.... used a KEF PSW 2500 in my set-up with Beolab 8000 and Beolab 6000 (some time ago), only the sub is still part of my home theater setup ....

Ralf

That is what I figured. Surely by using a sub this way you are only get one of the two benefits from using a sub (and the worse of the two benefits).

If you are not using a B&O sub you are getting more bass but the speakers will be producing the bass too. This means that the speakers won't sound as free and as clear on the top end. I mean having a sub in my opinion is great but not for the added bass but because the speakers are relieved from the heavy task of producing the bass and can work on the high ends more. Am I wrong?

B&O (stereo) setups with subs goes stereo>sub>speakers. The sub basically filters out the lows and passes on the highs. With this step removed having sub just means more bass but not a clean or more accurate sound. Am I correct?

• 02-08-2011 10:33 AM In reply to

@nmartim771, IMO, you should hear BL 11 in your setup! Simple as that!

Good SW is expensive!

Don't forget about proper SW positioning. It is very important!

BS 1, BeoCom 2, 2x LC 2, Form 2,  BS 2, BS 3, 2x Beo 4, BS 5, BM 5, BL 5,Beo 6, BS 6, 2x A8, BV 8-40, BL 8000, 3x A9 Keyring, Serenata, BeoTime, BeoTalk 400

• 02-08-2011 10:47 AM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

TheMajor:

kallasr:

Ralf

That is what I figured. Surely by using a sub this way you are only get one of the two benefits from using a sub (and the worse of the two benefits).

If you are not using a B&O sub you are getting more bass but the speakers will be producing the bass too. This means that the speakers won't sound as free and as clear on the top end. I mean having a sub in my opinion is great but not for the added bass but because the speakers are relieved from the heavy task of producing the bass and can work on the high ends more. Am I wrong?

B&O (stereo) setups with subs goes stereo>sub>speakers. The sub basically filters out the lows and passes on the highs. With this step removed having sub just means more bass but not a clean or more accurate sound. Am I correct?

But if you use the Sub out of a dolby module it is different....

You could even attach Beolab in a sterero set-up via rca to the sub (mine has a filter).

Ralf

My Beo: Beosound 3000, Beolab 4000, Beo 4 DVD,  Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000, Beovox S45.2 with Stands, Beosystem 7000 black with Beolink 7000, Beolink 1000, F1000 (3 cubes), Beovox 5000, Beovox 3000, Attyca 1.

• 02-08-2011 10:55 AM In reply to

MAJOR: 

You are only correct in a simple setup that doesn't contain some sort of sound processing (for example, if you are splitting the L&R outputs in to 2 powerlink sockets and then using a DIN to RCA).  If you have a dedicated subwoofer out then the comparison is valid.

• 02-08-2011 10:55 AM In reply to

TheMajor:

Can I ask how are you connecting the subs?

Din to rca, but on my BC1 I have digital back with sub out, in this case tv control sub, which I think is ok.

Alen you are totally right, but I think that every sub from 500-1000 e can be good enough to blow BL11 away.

And, sorry to say, BL11 is Ick! really awful 

• 02-09-2011 2:15 AM In reply to

Ah! Never considered that way. My bad!

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)