in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-06-2011 6:22 AM by scott451. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-03-2011 1:59 PM

Masterlink distribution of Mac by BV7

Hello!

I have a Mac Mini connected via HDMI and s/pdif to my BV7 Mk3. All is fine with 1080p picture and 5.1 sound in the tv room. Does anyone know if the BV7 mk3, fully software-upgraded, can convert and distribute digital (HDMI, S/PDIF) via masterlink to my linkrooms?

If not, what would you recommend? I don't want to lose the perfect sound and picture I have in my tvroom, but i'd like to be able to watch the movies and hear the sound in my other rooms.

Thanks

Jonas

Filed under:
  • 02-03-2011 2:29 PM In reply to

Re: Masterlink distribution of Mac by BV7

Just one idea: what about a DAC that can line thru the Digital Audio but also convert to analog audio. Then you should get both signals to the BV7.

BeoVision 8-40 / BeoVision 8-32 / Beovision 6-26 / BeoSound 3200 / BeoSound 1 / BeoLab 3 /  Beolab 6000 / Beolab 2000 / Beoport / Beomedia 1 / 3* Beo4 /BeoCom 5 with VOIP

• 02-03-2011 3:04 PM In reply to

Yep, that's my backup plan. But maybe there´s no way around it?

So it's final that the BV7 cannot downscale the signal itself?

• 02-03-2011 4:22 PM In reply to

Dolby 5.1 are 6 channels analog. Where to plug in??? Will not work only stereo 2 channel input possible.
  • 02-04-2011 3:04 AM In reply to

Beoeric:

I'n not sure what you mean. Was there a question there for me?

/Jonas

• 02-04-2011 4:17 AM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

zooropa:

Does anyone know if the BV7 mk3, fully software-upgraded, can convert and distribute digital
    (HDMI, S/PDIF) via masterlink to my linkrooms?

Masterlink is an analog stereo system,  the sound generated by the HF modulated Video signal for 
    distibuting video sources via antenna cables to other rooms is mono!

For HD & Dolby-Digital distribution to other rooms you'll need someting like an Atlona HDMI matrix
    + HDMI cabling, or, for longer distances, via a pair of Cat 7 cables + HDMI<>Cat7 coverter boxes ... 

• 02-04-2011 6:37 AM In reply to

I´m fully aware of the shortcomings of rf-modulated signal and masterlink. I am also satisfied with just stereo sound and analog videosignal in my linkrooms. But it seems to me that even this won't work without a DAC or something similar.

So I ask again! ;) :

Is the BV7 mk3 fully upgraded, capabled of converting my hdmi/s/pdif from my mac mini and then distributing it via rf and masterlink. Or is it not?

• 02-04-2011 4:19 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

zooropa:

So I ask again! ;) :

Is the BV7 mk3 fully upgraded, capabled of converting my hdmi/s/pdif from my mac mini and then distributing
    it via rf and masterlink. Or is it not?

BeoVision 7 - Reference Book EU-Version p52 / US-Version p64 explicitly tells:

"Distribute sound and picture with BeoLink"

"Digital signals (HDMI) cannot be distributed from a main room television to the link room system."

Solution #1 : Atlona Matrix

Solution #2 : A Set-Top-Box / Computer being able to deliver an analog "SD-Video" signal  and  
                         analog/digital sound for Link Distribution and a HD-signal for HDMI.  

PS : check als Beo-Mac forum on this site  http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/27.aspx

• 02-04-2011 6:30 PM In reply to

Personally I can't take an $8000,- Atlona solution seriously. Not to mention all the wiring that comes with it...

Why don't you run Plex on your MacMini, and run a Plex client in every linkroom. You only need a CAT5e cable to the linkroom, and a hacked ATV2. There is lots of info about this config in the Plex forums.

Or get a decent NAS as your one and only library and a MacMini with Plex installed for every room.

• 02-05-2011 2:32 AM In reply to

Thanks!

Just ordered in a downscaler with hdmi passthru and some cabels. Should be fine for my needs.

Again, thanks everyone!

/Jonas

• 09-06-2011 6:22 AM In reply to

• scott451
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-22-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 132
    • Founder

hello,

i am researching a similar situation in my house. how did your set-up work out, what downsccaler did you use ?

does the passthru work with hdmi 1.3 ? do you have any hdcp issues ?

please share, and thanks in advance !

- scott

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)