in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-05-2011 7:45 PM by Vienna. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-05-2011 10:15 AM

Beolab 4000 Placement Options

Before I drill holes in my walls, I just wondered if anyone had experiemented with placement options for Beolab 4000's I have them on the table stands at the moment but noticed that if I place them in my bookshelves with some space around them they seem to have more bass and sound better, has anyone noticed a difference between the table stands, wall placement, bookcase or their own floor stands?

Beovision Avant 32 RF, DVD1, Beovision 1, MX4002, Beound 3000, Beolab Penta MKII, Beovox Penta, Beolit 707, Beolink Passive, Beovox C30, Beocom 4, Beogram TX, 4 x Beo4, Form 1 & 2, Beocenter 7700, Beovox S65,

• 01-05-2011 10:35 AM In reply to

Re: Beolab 4000 Placement Options

I have mine on table stands too. I am interested in the answer to your question too also for floor stands too.

Mike

Beosystem 7000/6500- Beolab 4000 - Beosound 1 - A8 - Earset 3 - Beo4

• 01-05-2011 7:12 PM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

The sonic resonance from the bookshelf placement is derived from the fact that the BL 4000 speaker sound is now contained, concentrated, and directed or focused out. Amplified inside a box, if you will.

One of the original B&O advertisements had a gold pair placed this way, in a relatvely small room. My concern, despite the Alps, was always heat build-up, but I understand they are constructed to dissapate heat very effectively.

One pair of BL 4000 next to our flatscreen were removed from the speaker stands. They now sit upright on a thick glass stand, on either side of a new Beosound 4, and sound better to us this way. The speakers are at head level for anyone in the living room, rather than pointed up at 15 degrees as they were before.

We also tried BL 4000 on stands, and from ceiling mounts. Did not care for either, but in another setting with different construction materials, who knows.

On glass, on granite, attached to a wall, on the floor, or spread apart, the speakers all sound different. The choice of course, is what sounds best to you.

• 01-05-2011 7:45 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

ajames:

... has anyone noticed a difference between the table stands, wall placement, bookcase or their own floor stands ...

Yes - different speaker placing will cause different sound - and the reason is:

Physics!

Each boundary surface nearby the speaker will increase the output of low frequencies
    (bass) by approx 3 dB.

BeoLab 4000 sound the most "neutral" if used very close to a single boundary surface
    or a bit away from two of them,  e.g.

- mounted "in the middle" of a wall, using the supplied wallbrackets
    - on stands, quite close to a wall
    - on a shelf/piece of furniture with a little distance to the wall

If mounted in a corner position  (close to 2 boundary surfaces) you'll get more, but not necessarily
    a more accurate bass.

Mounting the speakers in a corner position and furthermore close to the floor/ceiling  (close to 3 
    boundary surfaces) will increase this effect even more.

Placing the speakers on stands "in the middle of a room" (no boundary surfaces) will decrease bass,
    making the sound "lightweight"

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)