in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-03-2011 5:26 AM by Chrisreunion. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-29-2010 2:05 AM

Beosound 8 and connection to computer

Just got my new BS8 over X'mas and loving it. The sound is definitely better than anything I have heard on the market in terms of ipod dock. It sounded amazing even with just .mp3's!

Got a few questions:

1. Any one experienced problems with their iMac when they used the BS8? I used the BS8 first time in my study but remain unconnected to my iMac. Somehow, I lost volume on my iMac via both the wireless keyboard and remote. But as soon as I unplugged the BS 8 from the power, it went back to normal again. Not sure if it's the wireless connection of my ipad that I was using....weird....subsequently it seems to be ok...

2. Can I connect the BS8 to my computer and use it as computer speaker as well? (for non-itune related stuff like dvds, digital TV etc)

- If possible, do I just need a USB connection? or do I need the mini-jack to stereo cable as well?

3. I assume once connected to the computer via USB, it becomes an ipod dock as well for syncing/charging etc? (I haven't got the cable to try yet)

It's an amazing product but like to make the most use out of it!

• 12-29-2010 3:04 AM In reply to

Re: Beosound 8 and connection to computer

Hi, the USB connection makes BeoSound 8 act as an external sound card for your computer, so all sounds will be directed to the BS8.

Hence, you'll deactivate all other sound cards connected to your computer, in favour of BS8.

It won't charge anything on BS8, just bring the sound to it.

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 12-29-2010 4:41 AM In reply to

Oasis & Chris

Connecting a USB Sound device will not deactivate all sound on the internal soundcard.

In OSX you can dictate which/where sounds get played.  Go to System Preferences -> Sound

There you can specify that Sound Effects get played through the iMacs's internal speakers. In Output you can specify where all the other sounds/music get played. The I hope that BeoSound 8 is in this list.

Have the same situation but with Logitech Z-10 USB Speakers. Use them for music; but all the system sounds get played on the internal iMac speakers.

Also these settings can be application dependent. In Skype for example you can also choose to which device the sound gets played. 

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 01-01-2011 10:21 PM In reply to

So what I have worked out is:

- If you connect to the iMac via USB and change the sound output settings on the computer, the BS8 becomes stereo speakers for the computer. However, it DOES NOT offer sync function/connectivity between iphone/pod/pad and the computer - i.e. it doesn't act as an dock (a bit disappointed)

- The 3.5mm minijack to 2 RCA connection allows the BS8 to become stereo speakers for other brand devices but it is not necessary to use it if the BS8 is connected via USB to the computer.

So, I wonder, does the USB option or minijack to RCA option provide better sound quality?

• 01-02-2011 12:29 AM In reply to

Oasis:
    So, I wonder, does the USB option or minijack to RCA option provide better sound quality?

I think what matters is what your own ears in your experiments tell you :)

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 01-02-2011 12:56 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Greater Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

Oasis:

Depends on the audio card in the respective things.

If it's a laptop you're connecting it to, my bet is that the sound card of the BS8 measures better.

Add to this, that there is less electronics in the BS8 than there is in a laptop, and it's probably not in such close proximity to a processor and fluctuations of current as in the laptop, so all in all, the safest bet will be that the BS8 does better than the laptop.

To further confuse you, it also depends on whether the laptop is able to use a 24 bit (a padded 16bit) volume control, and if the BS8 is able to, and the laptop not. This means something at low volumes, as the bit's you're able to use is vastly reduced. By padding the 16 bit signal so it becomes a 24 bit signal, there's a long, long way down to even reach the original 16 bit.

But again, my best bet would be the USB connection.

• 01-02-2011 1:20 AM In reply to

Electrified:
    To further confuse you, it also depends on whether the laptop is able to use a 24 bit (a padded 16bit) volume control, and if the BS8 is able to, and the laptop not. This means something at low volumes, as the bit's you're able to use is vastly reduced. By padding the 16 bit signal so it becomes a 24 bit signal, there's a long, long way down to even reach the original 16 bit.

well you managed to confuse me !

but then that is easily done Laughing

elephants struggle to keep up with tree frogs !

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 01-02-2011 1:31 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

elephant:

well you managed to confuse me !

but then that is easily done Laughing

elephants struggle to keep up with tree frogs !

It's just that if either one of them has a 24bit volume control, that one will keep much more of the available bits in the original song. If either one is 16 bit, you would pretty fast be reduced to 12bits, then 10 as you turn down the volume from maximum,  and then it's beggining to be hearable.

Unless, of course, you listen to very compressed pop music with 3dB dynamic range (at best). If you do listen to that sort of music, you could listen to something as powerful as the BL5s at propably the lowest setting without loosing actual dynamic range in the track (even if the BL5s were using 16bit for their volume control), although other things then come into play with the BL5s, but I won't bore with that.

• 01-02-2011 1:55 AM In reply to

I guess I never gave it a thought as to how volume is represented in digital music ... I naively assumed volume control always happened at the end point/terminus, rather than at the source ... foolish really :-S

• 01-02-2011 8:42 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

That's not foolish. I still sometimes think "analogue", as I learned to edit on reel-to-reel recorders  and used analogue recorders out in the field.

Analogue is much more intuitive, digital not so much. Hell, I still say "I'm taping this interview" when doing phone interviews, even if "record" would be more accurate, since it's bounced to a recorder with both a hdd and a cf card :)

• 01-03-2011 5:26 AM In reply to

The USB connection will use the BeoSound 8 DSP, which, in theory, is superior to a built-in computer's sound card. After all, it's B&O..Cool

Reunion Island is greeting you!

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)