in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-12-2011 11:23 AM by TripEnglish. 63 replies.
Page 3 of 3 (64 items) < Previous 1 2 3
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-11-2011 3:46 PM In reply to

Re: Beosound5 Encore

Puncher:

TripEnglish:

Wow. People really don't pay any attention at all. The above picture shows a feature that will ONLY be available on the BeoSound 5. NOT the BeoSound 5 Encore. Anyone who ever bought a BeoSound 5 will now be able to purchase a Beo6 and enjoy this feature provided they have stable wifi throughout the link rooms. 

I find it simply staggering that the Encore, which will be wifi equipped, will not implement two way communication/display artwork etc.

You have to go back to my detailed discussions about the BeoSound 5 Encore being the first of the true NetLink products. We're all using NetLink cable, but connecting MasterLink products today. 

So the key thing to understand about the BeoSound 5 Encore is that what it can do when it's launched in a few months will not be what it can do a year from then. We understand that we'll be selling it for a little while in a product context that makes it seem more limited, but the reality is that something has to be first in the conversion to NetLink since NetLink is not just a different set of cables but a fundamental change to the underlying technology and how the linked products are able to communicate with one another. 

So it's possible, even probable, that Beo6 browsing support will come to the Encore, just not right away. But it's almost immaterial because even if you could browse content on it, you couldn't do anything about it because it's not a MasterLink product, which is all you could buy to compliment it right now.

See where I'm going here?

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 02-11-2011 3:48 PM In reply to

xegoon:

Hi js:

I'll try to use my limited english to clarify your questions.

js:
    1. Can one BS5 Encore be wired to a stand alone hard disk and access a music library backup stored on such stand alone hard disk (instead of a computer/server/network switched on constantly)?

YES: it has 2 USB connections for this issues.

js:
    2. Next step: can two BS5 Encore located in two different rooms be wired to the same stand alone hard disk and play simultaneously different music from the same library?

YES: "stand alone hard disk" a.k.a. NAS Wink For your needs, you need to use a NAS and you don't have to be a computer freak, so don't be afraid if the word "NAS" appears in the solution; a NAS is simply a hard disk connected to a router... Anyway, where does come your digital music from? I guess that from your computer, so, the first step is done Wink

js:
    3. Alternatively: can a BS5 Encore located in one room access the music library stored on the hard disk of a BM5/BS5 combo located in another room and can such BS5 Encore and BM5/BS5 combo play simultaneously different music from the same library?

ABSOLUTELY YES: the BM5 can be used as a NAS.

js:
    In other words: what is the simplest B&O solution to simultaneously listen to different music in two different rooms from the same music library and with two-way control in both rooms (via BS5 or BS5 Encore or Beo6) without having to switch on any non-B&O computer/server/network?

The simplest B&O solution could be:

- A BS5/BM5 + BS5 (one or more)

- BS5 (at least 2) + NAS

js:
    My other questions would be: does BS5 Encore feature MOTS and does it play Apple Lossless (I guess the answers are: no)?

YES to MOTS and NOT YET to Apple Lossless.

Well I guess Xegoon pays attention. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 02-11-2011 4:05 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

TripEnglish:

Puncher:

TripEnglish:

Wow. People really don't pay any attention at all. The above picture shows a feature that will ONLY be available on the BeoSound 5. NOT the BeoSound 5 Encore. Anyone who ever bought a BeoSound 5 will now be able to purchase a Beo6 and enjoy this feature provided they have stable wifi throughout the link rooms. 

I find it simply staggering that the Encore, which will be wifi equipped, will not implement two way communication/display artwork etc.

You have to go back to my detailed discussions about the BeoSound 5 Encore being the first of the true NetLink products. We're all using NetLink cable, but connecting MasterLink products today. 

So the key thing to understand about the BeoSound 5 Encore is that what it can do when it's launched in a few months will not be what it can do a year from then. We understand that we'll be selling it for a little while in a product context that makes it seem more limited, but the reality is that something has to be first in the conversion to NetLink since NetLink is not just a different set of cables but a fundamental change to the underlying technology and how the linked products are able to communicate with one another. 

So it's possible, even probable, that Beo6 browsing support will come to the Encore, just not right away. But it's almost immaterial because even if you could browse content on it, you couldn't do anything about it because it's not a MasterLink product, which is all you could buy to compliment it right now.

No I don't - I never mentioned Netlink, or it's future capabilities. The BS5 Encore is wifi enabled and they intend to release it without allowing two way communication with their own new wifi two way controller, the Beo6.......a £2500+ combination - I say again, staggering!

I also didn't say I wanted to masterlink it to anything else - I simply want to use it as a stand alone music system with two way control from my armchair, not much of an ask for a £2500+ music controller one would have hoped.

One can only hope the new guy will sharpen whoever made that decision's pencil !

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 02-11-2011 5:32 PM In reply to

Puncher:

TripEnglish:

No I don't - I never mentioned Netlink, or it's future capabilities. The BS5 Encore is wifi enabled and they intend to release it without allowing two way communication with their own new wifi two way controller, the Beo6.......a £2500+ combination - I say again, staggering!

I also didn't say I wanted to masterlink it to anything else - I simply want to use it as a stand alone music system with two way control from my armchair, not much of an ask for a £2500+ music controller one would have hoped.

One can only hope the new guy will sharpen whoever made that decision's pencil !

I guess you don't. The Beo6 feature is not intended for use in the same room, though I suppose you can sit there if you'd like. The BeoSound 5 is an interactive stereo and works best when using it and not it's remote. Maybe you need to own one to understand. We generally install them either in a high-traffic area like the kitchen where the floor plan is open to an eating area and sitting room, or near the listening position in a media room so that people are constantly interacting with it as they want to choose new music or change the radio station. 

The idea of the Beo6 is for use where there isn't a BeoSound 5 present. And since the BeoSound 5 Encore doesn't link to anything, there's really no need to develop a link specific capability for it right away.

The key phrase, in case you missed the italics is right away. The feature will come, but probably a little tiny bit later and probably with another cool bonus that lots of people have been asking for. Until then you'll have to get up and walk over the BeoSound 5 if you were actually to buy one. 

• 02-12-2011 4:32 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

TripEnglish:

Puncher:

TripEnglish:

I guess you don't. The Beo6 feature is not intended for use in the same room, though I suppose you can sit there if you'd like. The BeoSound 5 is an interactive stereo and works best when using it and not it's remote. Maybe you need to own one to understand. We generally install them either in a high-traffic area like the kitchen where the floor plan is open to an eating area and sitting room, or near the listening position in a media room so that people are constantly interacting with it as they want to choose new music or change the radio station. 

The idea of the Beo6 is for use where there isn't a BeoSound 5 present. And since the BeoSound 5 Encore doesn't link to anything, there's really no need to develop a link specific capability for it right away.

The key phrase, in case you missed the italics is right away. The feature will come, but probably a little tiny bit later and probably with another cool bonus that lots of people have been asking for. Until then you'll have to get up and walk over the BeoSound 5 if you were actually to buy one. 

Thanks for translating my thoughts and requirements for me! Confused It's not that I don't have one because I don't understand - I don't have one because it doesn't do what I want! I appreciate the unit interface is the main interface but when I'm working at the other end of the room then I'd like to change album remotely, as I'm sure many others would too.

Why should the two way feature come, "probably" later? Both devices have the necessary hardware, I feel it would be silly if it goes on sale without what would be a significant feature.

• 02-12-2011 6:29 AM In reply to

I can't believe that I need to invest EUR 5,000 in a BeoSound 5 + another 500 to a Beo 6 just to have my album cover on remote control, when something like an Iphone or Ipod Touch already offers this (and more) via the "remote" app.

This works right away with any BeoSound/BeoCenter from the last 30 years, anything fitted with an AUX input, or a BeoPort with BMLink (like what I use). Which can also playback Apple Lossless, by the way.

The remote app can even show you the track & artist name in NRADIO mode, something B&O still doesn't offer, not even on BS5.

And..you can have the CD covers displayed as well, if you use Phil's Linkremote app.

What I mean is: why should I spend more money on the new products if the older & far cheaper ones work better??Hmm

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 02-12-2011 7:13 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Chrisreunion:

I can't believe that I need to invest EUR 5,000 in a BeoSound 5 + another 500 to a Beo 6 just to have my album cover on remote control, when something like an Iphone or Ipod Touch already offers this (and more) via the "remote" app.

This works right away with any BeoSound/BeoCenter from the last 30 years, anything fitted with an AUX input, or a BeoPort with BMLink (like what I use). Which can also playback Apple Lossless, by the way.

The remote app can even show you the track & artist name in NRADIO mode, something B&O still doesn't offer, not even on BS5.

And..you can have the CD covers displayed as well, if you use Phil's Linkremote app.

What I mean is: why should I spend more money on the new products if the older & far cheaper ones work better??Hmm

While, of course you don't need to, many may want to (and many have, in the case of the BS5) - after all the BS5 (and hopefully the Encore) is a good looking piece of kit with a nice user interface. What I do find incredible is that the wifi enabled Encore will not support it's own manufacturer's only wifi enabled, two way remote out of the box!

• 02-12-2011 8:40 AM In reply to

As for the timing I suppose it's because they have limited resources and a lot of new gear to get onto the market in the next year. I'd love for it to all work 100% yesterday, too, but I've worked for B&O for a long time and have learned to be patient.

• 02-12-2011 9:51 AM In reply to

TripEnglish:

……. but I've worked for B&O for a long time and have learned to be patient.

Excuse me??????!!!!!!!!???????? From a customer's point of view that is disrespectful. You mean, by all means buy something we introduce incomplete, and let the better informed customer's benefit from our MK  II , III, etc which will come out  some months later??

That is b%l%$&%t strategy IMO. We thank all fan customers that run to buy our new products but they will eventually  find out in horror that they are our most idiot money-spender beta-testers. 

-Dimitris

• 02-12-2011 10:09 AM In reply to

What is a "long time?" I am 45 and (living in the South)... I could be your father!
    • B&o bottle opener
  • 02-12-2011 10:52 AM In reply to

DrDimitris:

TripEnglish:

……. but I've worked for B&O for a long time and have learned to be patient.

Excuse me??????!!!!!!!!???????? From a customer's point of view that is disrespectful. You mean, by all means buy something we introduce incomplete, and let the better informed customer's benefit from our MK  II , III, etc which will come out  some months later??

That is b%l%tiny_mce_markeramp;%t strategy IMO. We thank all fan customers that run to buy our new products but they will eventually  find out in horror that they are our most idiot money-spender beta-testers. 

I should have put smiley faces or something. I was being sarcastic. 

• 02-12-2011 10:53 AM In reply to

How old do you think I am? Big Smile

• 02-12-2011 11:12 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Greater Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

TripEnglish:

32, going by his admission of geographic whereabouts, lol

Unsure

• 02-12-2011 11:23 AM In reply to

Electrified:

TripEnglish:

32, going by his admission of geographic whereabouts, lol

Unsure

Close. But in B&O, being present for the birth and death of a single product can be a long and prosperous career! Let's say that I've been around long enough to have seen the Avant launch, covet it, obtain it, and finally try to figure out how to get the trash collector to haul it away. My how times change. Perhaps my children's children, with the proper advances in modern medicine, will live to see wireless link. 

Page 3 of 3 (64 items) < Previous 1 2 3