in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-12-2011 11:23 AM by TripEnglish. 63 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (64 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-13-2010 5:22 AM In reply to

Re: Beosound5 Encore

Michael:

1. < />

I'm hoping for a BV8-40 as well. I need at least 3 HDMI. And it would be good if the screen was 200 hz

I've been told there will be no ML on the new BV8-40 only cat 7

• 11-13-2010 12:55 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

koning:

I've been told there will be no ML on the new BV8-40 only cat 7

I doubt this.  Today, the US model (aka MkII) has an optional board (called the "system module") that provides the ML interface (I know, because I'm waiting for mine).  It would seem at the very least B&O would support both old and new by providing different boards (especially if you consider that the ML board already exists).

This sounds more like a dealer trying to encourage you to buy the current model (assuming ML is important to you).

All speculation, of course...

Stan

• 11-13-2010 1:35 PM In reply to

That's what i'm being told.

let's wait and see...

• 11-13-2010 1:52 PM In reply to

ML boards as they exist today start to vanish this winter. Product by product. New releases will only have Cat7, and existing products will get in-line changes. 

Of course that sounds more revolutionary than it is, since the functionality will be quite similar and we will see hybrid systems for years and years to come just like MCL to ML. 

I personally wouldn't make a buying decision on this one way or another. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 11-13-2010 1:58 PM In reply to

beovision 8-40 Aka MkIIIBig Smile

• 11-13-2010 7:54 PM In reply to

TripEnglish:
    New releases will only have Cat7, and existing products will get in-line changes. 

oh that seems to be good news !

at least, if I interpret you correctly, we may be able to swap out an old system module and replace it with an upgraded module :)

[should that prove to be important]

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 11-14-2010 12:18 PM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

Perhaps a " stand alone N.MUSIC device. "

• 11-15-2010 8:40 AM In reply to

It seems confusing, but in reality it is quite simple.

1. If you wish to play music from the BeoMaster 5 through link room speakers (in addition to any directly connected speakers in the main room) you should select the BeoSound 5. The Beo6 will make it easier to select what music to play in the link rooms.

2. If you wish to play different music in two different rooms at the same time then you will need either (a) BeoSound 5 and an Encore or (b) two Encores. The problem with the Encore is that it will only play on the directly connected speakers. Therefore you will need an Encore in every room where you wish to listen to music.

3. If there are two rooms where you would primarily like to play different music at the same time then I would choose option "a". This means that you can still play music in all the other link rooms from the Beosound 5 while playing different music in the Encore room.

4. If you don't want to listen to different music in two different rooms at the same time then the choice is easy. Just get a BeoSound5/BeoMaster5 combination.

• 02-01-2011 6:30 AM In reply to

• js
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-07-2007
    • Brussels
    • Posts 208
    • Silver Member

Dear all, do we know when the Beosound 5 Encore will be available (or at least when the specifications will be released)?

I intend to purchase a Beosound 5 but I am delaying my purchase as I need a confirmation of the Encore specification in order to decide which version best suits my needs.

Thanks, js

• 02-01-2011 2:40 PM In reply to

Should be launched in May. What specs are you looking for? Weight? Height? Everything has been discussed. Literally everything. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 02-01-2011 3:54 PM In reply to

We want more...Laughing

• 02-01-2011 6:12 PM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

Just mere logical speculation of course:

Imagine a stand alone Beosound 5 with heat-fins, non Cadillac-sized.

Or perhaps with Cadillac-sized heat fins, given the Beosound 8.

OLED ?  WI-FI ?  Why not.

Imagine.

• 02-01-2011 6:23 PM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Greater Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

SWISS_2:

Just mere logical speculation of course:

Imagine a stand alone Beosound 5 with heat-fins, non Cadillac-sized.

Or perhaps with Cadillac-sized heat fins, given the Beosound 8.

LOL, I don't see why there'd be a need for any heat-fins at all.

SWISS_2:
    OLED ?  WI-FI ?  Why not.

Oled isn't as good as an ordinary led screen currently, and the power saving would be extremely small, considering you have to drive your amp/speakers, which leaves us with wi-fi which will  be included when we can get our dirty hands on one. 

With this new one, my hope is that the firmware will (in time) be up to my needs and wants. Hardware-wise my prayers seem to have been heard.

• 02-11-2011 10:01 AM In reply to

Just to give you a hint of what "2-way communication" will look like on your new Beo6..

Taken from B&O's media website..

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 02-11-2011 12:33 PM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

Thank you for that picture! Now I'm not going to look for a Sonos-System :)

Will it work that way with the "normal" Beosound 5, too? I strongly hope!

• 02-11-2011 12:53 PM In reply to

Wow. People really don't pay any attention at all. The above picture shows a feature that will ONLY be available on the BeoSound 5. NOT the BeoSound 5 Encore. Anyone who ever bought a BeoSound 5 will now be able to purchase a Beo6 and enjoy this feature provided they have stable wifi throughout the link rooms. 

• 02-11-2011 1:00 PM In reply to

Trip, as you seem to know, will the 2way Beo6 work with BM5 without a BS5?

• 02-11-2011 1:13 PM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

TripEnglish:

Wow. People really don't pay any attention at all. The above picture shows a feature that will ONLY be available on the BeoSound 5. NOT the BeoSound 5 Encore. Anyone who ever bought a BeoSound 5 will now be able to purchase a Beo6 and enjoy this feature provided they have stable wifi throughout the link rooms. 

Trip, people DO pay attention but could oversee information! And for me it was NOT 100% clear if it will be usable with the current Beosound 5 as nobody even seems to know how to configure Wifi on the Beo 6 or which functions DO already work on it.

If I understand your answer correct, the last software upate for the Beosound 5 has included the "Beo 6 compatibility" for the 2-way communication?

• 02-11-2011 1:15 PM In reply to

• js
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-07-2007
    • Brussels
    • Posts 208
    • Silver Member

TripEnglish:

What specs are you looking for?

I have a very simple question actually: does a BM5/BS5 combo located in one room make it possible to simultaneously listen to different music from the same library in a Link room with a two-way Beo6? I guess not, so I need to envisage other alternatives. Despite all that was said on this board, it is not clear to me whether the BS5 Encore actually is the alternative I am looking for.

The point is that I do not want to have a computer or a server or a router or a network or anything switched on constantly: I just want to have my B&O gear switched on, nothing else. I am not a computer freak and I just want a simple, convenient B&O-only solution.

So if I would elect to purchase a BS5 Encore, my questions would be:

1. Can one BS5 Encore be wired to a stand alone hard disk and access a music library backup stored on such stand alone hard disk (instead of a computer/server/network switched on constantly)?

2. Next step: can two BS5 Encore located in two different rooms be wired to the same stand alone hard disk and play simultaneously different music from the same library?

3. Alternatively: can a BS5 Encore located in one room access the music library stored on the hard disk of a BM5/BS5 combo located in another room and can such BS5 Encore and BM5/BS5 combo play simultaneously different music from the same library?

In other words: what is the simplest B&O solution to simultaneously listen to different music in two different rooms from the same music library and with two-way control in both rooms (via BS5 or BS5 Encore or Beo6) without having to switch on any non-B&O computer/server/network?

My other questions would be: does BS5 Encore feature MOTS and does it play Apple Lossless (I guess the answers are: no)?

EDIT: Trip, I just read your last post and I now understand that the Beo6 only works with a BM5/BS5 combo (but how can one justify that it does not work with the Encore?) and requires a WiFi network. All right. This specific point being clarified, in essence the abovementioned questions remain open to me. Thanks.

• 02-11-2011 1:21 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

TripEnglish:

I find it simply staggering that the Encore, which will be wifi equipped, will not implement two way communication/display artwork etc.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 02-11-2011 1:22 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

double post.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 02-11-2011 1:33 PM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Greater Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

Puncher:
    I find it simply staggering that the Encore, which will be wifi equipped, will not implement two way communication/display artwork etc.

Yes, but it plays very well into my thoughts on that other thread where I talk about how B&O seem to do something half arsed and abondon things halfway there.

One can only hope they'll remove this crippling, and until they do, I'm not buying into any promises. I've had enough of that with a certain other company.

• 02-11-2011 2:22 PM In reply to

Hi js:

I'll try to use my limited english to clarify your questions.

js:
    1. Can one BS5 Encore be wired to a stand alone hard disk and access a music library backup stored on such stand alone hard disk (instead of a computer/server/network switched on constantly)?

YES: it has 2 USB connections for this issues.

js:
    2. Next step: can two BS5 Encore located in two different rooms be wired to the same stand alone hard disk and play simultaneously different music from the same library?

YES: "stand alone hard disk" a.k.a. NAS Wink For your needs, you need to use a NAS and you don't have to be a computer freak, so don't be afraid if the word "NAS" appears in the solution; a NAS is simply a hard disk connected to a router... Anyway, where does come your digital music from? I guess that from your computer, so, the first step is done Wink

js:
    3. Alternatively: can a BS5 Encore located in one room access the music library stored on the hard disk of a BM5/BS5 combo located in another room and can such BS5 Encore and BM5/BS5 combo play simultaneously different music from the same library?

ABSOLUTELY YES: the BM5 can be used as a NAS.

js:
    In other words: what is the simplest B&O solution to simultaneously listen to different music in two different rooms from the same music library and with two-way control in both rooms (via BS5 or BS5 Encore or Beo6) without having to switch on any non-B&O computer/server/network?

The simplest B&O solution could be:

- A BS5/BM5 + BS5 (one or more)

- BS5 (at least 2) + NAS

js:
    My other questions would be: does BS5 Encore feature MOTS and does it play Apple Lossless (I guess the answers are: no)?

YES to MOTS and NOT YET to Apple Lossless.

Jq. BS4 BL3 A8 Form2

• 02-11-2011 3:39 PM In reply to

PhilLondon:

Trip, as you seem to know, will the 2way Beo6 work with BM5 without a BS5?

Nope. It's a BeoSound 5 function. 

• 02-11-2011 3:41 PM In reply to

TWG:

TripEnglish:

Trip, people DO pay attention but could oversee information! And for me it was NOT 100% clear if it will be usable with the current Beosound 5 as nobody even seems to know how to configure Wifi on the Beo 6 or which functions DO already work on it.

If I understand your answer correct, the last software upate for the Beosound 5 has included the "Beo 6 compatibility" for the 2-way communication?

There was no way that a regularly participating member with even a passing interest in the BeoSound 5 could have missed the lengthy, specific, and repetitious discussions about exactly what the BeoSound 5 Encore is/does. It has to be the least mysterious product ever released by Bang & Olufsen. 

And no, the Beo6 functionality is due later in Spring. 

Page 2 of 3 (64 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >