in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-19-2010 7:32 PM by elephant. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-20-2010 1:41 PM

No sound from mac mini

I have a mac mini connected to beosystem 1 via a beovision-4 50"

I can see the picture via dvi but no sound. I can hear sound if I connect rca cables to camera input but my goal is of course to have the mac min output hearable sound to the system both if it is stereo or multichannel.

From the mac mini there is toslink - > converter - > coaxial - > into beosystem-1 spdif2. I have assigned "decoder" in the bs1 setup menu to "pc(dvi)" and I have also tried "stb(dtv/dvi)" which also works but neither is giving me any sound.

I have read numerous threads, most about beovision-7 and nothing about beosystem 1. I have the latest software and the bs1 is mkIII. 

Do I need some special extra upgrade of the beosystem-1 with "apple-ish" software or is this just a configuration issue?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have tried the terminal "hack" to passthrough dts, pcm etc, but no sound. The program "Perian" is installed and I have tried all kinds of output, stereo, dd, dts.... no sound.

• 11-19-2010 3:02 PM In reply to

Re: No sound from mac mini

I assume you have set the mini to Audio Midi Setup to digital output?

On the BeoSystem 1:

• SPDIF 1 Digital input socket for connection of, for example, a DVD player. SPDIF 1 is for digital input from equipment connected to the AVsocket on BeoSystem 1.
    • SPDIF 2 Digital input socket for connection of, forexample, a DVD player. SPDIF 2 is for digitalinput from equipment connected to theV.TAPE socket on BeoSystem 1.
    • If the V.TAPE socket is set up for V.tape or None, the SPDIF 2 socket is dedicated to theequipment connected to the DECODER socket instead.
    Have you tried the working with another source first? For example a DVD player you can connect with SPDIF to test out wether everything is working nicely?

• 11-19-2010 7:32 PM In reply to

Re: No sound from mac mini

What generation of MacMini do you have ?

scanorama99:
    From the mac mini there is toslink - > converter - > coaxial - > into beosystem-1 spdif2.

I am confused about the use of the converter ... I always thought toslink & spdif were much the same thing ....

wikipedia: " S/PDIF remained almost identical at the protocol level (consumer S/PDIF provides for copy protection, whereas professional interfaces do not), but changed the physical connectors from XLR to either electrical coaxial cable (with RCA connectors) or optical fibre (TOSLINK; i.e., F05 or EIAJ Optical), both of which cost less.  "

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)