in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-03-2011 3:53 PM by Rich. 181 replies.
Page 8 of 8 (182 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-31-2011 3:14 PM In reply to

Re: Beovox M70 Rescue & Adoption

My bad-  They are rubber not foam.  Grills are missing.  They actually soundrd ok under low volume.  Very bright. I hooked them to an ONKYO TX-4500.  I am in Massachusetts, in that humble nation bordering the south of Canada.

• 10-31-2011 3:26 PM In reply to

• Rich
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-10-2010
    • Orlando, Florida, USA
    • Posts 1,089
    • Gold Member

Very bright?  Neither of my pairs have ever sounded bright to my ears.  Quite the opposite, actually.  A bit "too mellow" at times, especially the restored pair driven by my Beomaster 4000.

Have you taken a peak inside yet?  The back comes off with 8 screws or so.

And do post pictures if you want the best help.

PS  "Grills" are usually called "frets" on this forum.  I wonder what the Europeans call the frets of a guitar neck....  Hmm

Current primary listening:  SMMC20EN -> BG4002 -> BM4000 -> Beovox M70

• 10-31-2011 4:20 PM In reply to

This shows a couple cracks and the gouge in the cone.  I was thinking rubber cement for the ring and some kind of paper patch for the cone.  The other unit is ok.    I had the back off of one because the previous owner had it on upside down.  I did not have a good look inside.  More may be revealed.  I put the back on correctly and hooked them to a ONKYO TX 4500 mk II and ran through some FM radio.    url m 70 woofer

Filed under:
  • 10-31-2011 4:28 PM In reply to

As far as being original ? these are "made in Scandanavia  -quality SEAS speakers".  Also the connectors on the back are missing but the main concern is getting the live back in this speaker.  The tweeters and mids all powered up and seemed to work fine. 

back side m70 woofer

• 11-02-2011 10:03 AM In reply to

• Rich
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-10-2010
    • Orlando, Florida, USA
    • Posts 1,089
    • Gold Member

I don't have my parts list with me as I'm on a business trip, but the woofer looks the same as mine, and the part number doesn't look out of whack.  I have used a small amount of cyanoacrylate hobby glue on woofer rubber surrounds to fix puncture wounds similar to your "cracks."  As far as the paper goes, does the "gouge" penetrate all the way through the paper?  If not, perhaps best to leave it alone.  If yes, well, I've never made that kind of repair before. 

What you don't want to do, in theory I guess, is change the mass or stiffness of the cone.  Changing and/or adding material to the cone will do just that.  Maybe a tiny amount of rice paper and PVA glue on the back?

• 11-02-2011 3:57 PM In reply to

Seas 25 F-EWX? I dunno if that's the original woofer for these, but it's a respectable driver. I had those in a self-made pair of huge floor speakers more than 20 years ago. The surround is definitely rubber.

Unfortunately they are not available new any more. I think I would try to fix that cone with coffee filter / tea bag paper and some hobby glue diluted with water to keep the weight down... and of course you need to keep the frets on after that.

-mika

• 11-03-2011 3:53 PM In reply to

• Rich
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-10-2010
    • Orlando, Florida, USA
    • Posts 1,089
    • Gold Member

Martin mentioned many, many posts ago the woofer had changed starting with serial number X.

Page 8 of 8 (182 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8