in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-05-2010 1:27 PM by jfrancis. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-03-2010 6:41 PM

Evaluating Previously Owned B&O Cartridges

I recently got a very decent Beogram 4002 with a MMC 4000 cartridge on ebay. Any thoughts on evaluating the condition of a used cartridge if one does not own an expensive microscope and have the skill to evaluate a cartridge with it. We only have one Audio/Video establishment here in Boise, Idaho worthy of the name, and they don't even carry turntables any longer. Does anyone know of anyone who offers cartridge evaluation as a service here in the U.S.A. possibly by mail? I have also a MMC20EN that has a questionable background as well that would be nice to have evaluated.

Subconsciously I think I may be trying to work up the justification here to get a new Soundsmith replacement, just not sure where the money will come from.Smile

John

Filed under:
  • 08-04-2010 6:13 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: Evaluating Previously Owned B&O Cartridges

Your ears are the best judges, really.
    Alternatively, buy a new cartridge and compare the two.

Martin

• 08-04-2010 2:19 PM In reply to

Hello Martin,

Thanks for the reply. I hate to sound like such a dunce with the questions, but what should I be listening for? I have a CBS Laboratories "Technical Series Test Record" that I have used to compare the inside and outside bands of the record, and for separate right and left channels. I would assume that since the 4002 is a tangential arm turntable the right and left sides of the stylus should be equally worn. Am I correct in assuming that? In a listening test the 18,000 HZ appears to be the same level on both channels on all the tests. Not sure what else to listen for regarding sounds for sytlus wear, of even if this test was a good one. By the way, I had my daughter do the listening test, it was her that could hear the 18,000 Hz. tone not me.

John

• 08-04-2010 2:57 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

A microscope is a good thing but may not always tell you how the stylus sound.
    A tangential deck will wear the stylus "sides" slightly more even than a radial deck, that's right,
    but having said that, B&O's radial decks are all going very gentle on the stylus and my experience is that the
    difference isn't really that huge.

The 2-minute go/no-go test is a record with music that you know very well.
    Listen for "s" and "t"-sounds as well as high-hats.
    They should sound just like that.
    If the stylus is badly worn, they will sound more like a hairspray, flat and un-detailed.
    If you can find a record that you also have on f.e. CD, that will allow you to compare even better.
    If your daughters ears are better, let her listen and report back to you. 

If your cartridge passes the above test it may not be completely worn out but if ears aren't enough, you
    will need some repairshop instruments to get all figures exact.
    A suitable (and not worn) test record and a distortion meter is good for this.

Martin

• 08-05-2010 1:27 PM In reply to

Thanks again for the thoughful feedback.

John

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)