in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-16-2010 5:08 PM by Dillen. 28 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-15-2010 11:35 PM In reply to

Re: BeoMaster 2400 -noisy bass,treble, balance sliders/pots Need help cleaning /getting to them

I actually have the working lights from the unit I tore apart. Would it be possible to get the disassembly instructions, even for a fee? Thanks.

• 08-16-2010 2:03 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: BeoMaster 2400 -noisy bass,treble, balance sliders/pots Need help cleaning /getting to them

No problem but do yourself a favour and check the lamps first.
    The lamps filaments become brittle with use and the unavoidable vibrations from servicing often
    break more filaments.
    The lamp kit is fairly cheap. I like to replace the lamps on all Beomasters of this type
    when they come in for service here. New lamps will give fresh life to them all and also give an equal light output
    and the new filaments won't break in transport/shipping.

Martin

• 08-16-2010 11:36 AM In reply to

I'm actually wondering if they could be replaced with LEDs so they would never go out again. Since those are so low power there wouldn't be a risk of blowing anything out. Plus, they would be brighter.

• 08-16-2010 5:08 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

No, you won't blow anything with LED's but many functions rely on the current
    flow through the lamps.
    The green tuning arrows would not work/indicate correctly.
    The volume control could become erratic and/or unstable and the three tonecontrol
    lamps form part of the 15V supply circuit in that their current draw is used
    to drain the 15V when going into standby - a too low current draw would see
    the Beomaster hard to set into standby, it would pop back on again with a series
    of clicks if the pad was kept activated.
    The source lamps are often critical in that the Beomaster typically refuses to
    either change to - or change away from - a source where the lamp has an
    incorrect wattage.
    Symptoms can vary slightly from machine to machine but this is the general picture.
    LED's were available when the BM1900/2400 was designed and built. One LED is
    actually used.
    LED's are nothing but hard working diodes.
    They fail just like any other semiconductor and I've replaced about 7 or 8 standby LED's in
    Beomaster 1900/2400's by now.
    If B&O could have used LED's for this futuristic wonder of
    a stereo receiver, they would have used real 7-segment LED displays instead of lamps behind
    screens made to look like 7-segment LED displays.
    New lamps of a good quality will last for years and it will look, feel and function
    as the designer and engineers intended.

Others may not agree. Some modern repairers try to fit LED's in wherever possible, expecting them
    to last forever.
    You are free to make you own experience if you absolutely must customize something.
    The above is mine, based on 35 years with B&O things.

Martin

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2