in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-21-2010 1:56 PM by adammackillop. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-26-2010 12:47 PM

Official: iPhone to controle B&O equipment!

Just scroll down to the bottom of the press release here:

"Meanwhile, the company also announced that it will offer a free iPhone app through the Apple store that will turn the phone into a remote control for its B&O systems. The app will be available March 31 and will control B&O systems as well as the company's MasterLink Gateway, which allows a Wi-Fi connection from the iPhone into the B&O system."

Now this is getting interesting!!!!! :-)

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 03-26-2010 12:49 PM In reply to

Re: Official: iPhone to controle B&O equipment!

The app will require install of the MLGW. Smile

• B&o bottle opener
  • 03-26-2010 1:43 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

So you need to spend ~2000 Euro to be able to use your free iPhone App to control your B&O!Laughing

Still, it's a start and what a lot of people have been asking forSmile

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 03-26-2010 2:08 PM In reply to

I'll keep using my Beo5. 

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 03-26-2010 3:06 PM In reply to

It will be interesting to see just how much control is available and how much user customization is possible.

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 03-26-2010 3:09 PM In reply to

A new BeoLink application
    BeoLink is a new software application that can be used to expand and extend the Bang & Olufsen experience offered via the Master Link Gateway. It gives access to both AV and home automation systems using selected smart mobile phones with integrated Wi-Fi.
    It is specifically aimed at customers buying into the concept of the ‘intelligent home’. With the intelligent BeoLink application offered via App Store, Bang & Olufsen is able to provide a highly personalised and tailor-made Wi-Fi control via the mobile phone (or iPod Touch).
    Bang & Olufsen is among the very first companies in the world to introduce mobile control of both your AV equipment and your home automation setup in one solution.
    The application is downloaded to the mobile phone and replicates the setup of the scenes that the customer requested when installing the Master Link Gateway. The customer gets access to the selected scenes/zones from the mobile phone. It is a unique way to extend the benefits of the Master Link Gateway with control from the minute you are within Wi-Fi range.
    Benefits
    BeoLink is a Wi-Fi-enabled application that offers a
    Bang & Olufsen touch and feel to selected touch-sensitive mobile phones. It gives mobile phone users extra convenience and a sensation of magic-like control of both home automation and audio/video equipment at the touch of only one button.
    The graphical user interface (GUI) is extremely simple and well organised and designed to match what you expect from a touch phone. The source buttons can be moved around to your preference.
    BeoLink is not replacing the remote control you have in your home, but should be regarded as an extension and supplement that allows you to be in control even before you enter your home, after you have left your home, when you’re in the garden or simply whenever you have your mobile phone in your hand. It is simple, personal and convenient and a great solution for those who use the mobile phone extensively and prefer collecting all applications here.
    Communicating Master Link Gateway
    BeoLink is a unique opportunity to communicate the benefits of the BeoLink system and Master Link Gateway to a large group of existing and potential customers at the same time. It enables your mobile phone but does not replace your remote control. It offers control beyond the house limits. It is conveniently always at hand when you need it, and it is a highly personal tool.

When would BeoLink be useful?
    You can see examples of different needs in different situations below
    On-the move context
    You are approaching home and want the gates to open • and the lights switched on (you are outside your residence and have Wi-Fi access).
    You are leaving home and want to switch off the music, • the lights and lock the doors (you are in your car leaving).
    Room context
    You are coming home entering your living room and • want to listen to the news – you access the room/zone and get control of what’s available in that room (context aware).
    You are on the phone and want to turn down the • volume (BeoLink provides the most used commands such as volume, track, channel, station etc. only).
    You are at home but still working and have not settled • in one room yet (your phone is closest to you).
    House context
    You cannot find the remote – but you always have the • mobile in my pocket.
    You want to turn on the music from the garden – the • remote is in the house.
    You want to open the garage door and turn on the • lights – your remote is in the living room.
    Only the most basic and generally most used remote control functions are implemented in BeoLink. Therefore, and by no means, is the mobile phone meant to be a Beo4 or Beo5 substitute.
    Programming
    The customer downloads BeoLink from the App Store free of charge and the installer or retailer simply synchronises it with the Master Link Gateway in less than 10 minutes. In the Master Link Gateway system, the retailer simply ticks off the feature and it automatically configures itself ensuring the same graphical user experience Bang & Olufsen has designed for the Master Link Gateway in the house. The synchronisation can be done via remote access (if enabled on the Gateway) or at the customer’s home via Wi-Fi.
    The BeoLink application will be rolled out in touch phones starting with iPhone and iPod Touch and followd by other touch phones later.
    Customers
    The target group for BeoLink is customers buying into almost any type of intelligent home, involving Bang & Olufsen AV solutions and our Master Link Gateway, but at the same time are looking for simplicity, elegance and convenience. Even the simplest installations will benefit from the BeoLink application.
    BeoLink will be upgraded with new functionalities as they become available.

• 03-26-2010 3:09 PM In reply to

Interesting reaction. I personally think Iphone control of my B&O is a waste of space but peeps here were drooling over that - and now its too expensive now we get it. I guess they can only looose ....

At Trip English, how much is the ML Gateway in the US?

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 03-26-2010 3:37 PM In reply to

jk1002:
    Interesting reaction. I personally think Iphone control of my B&O is a waste of space but peeps here were drooling over that - and now its too expensive now we get it. I guess they can only looose ....

I don't know... I think that it is a bit of a win for them. If you have the MLGW, or were considering one... I think it (this new app) is a nice perk.

I think some of the drooling has been over a total Apple solution sans the MLGW.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 03-26-2010 4:17 PM In reply to

the Iphone doesnt support the B&O IR frequency. Its going to be interesting to see how flexible that thing is ..... since the master link gateway can do wifi maybethis is the base for the 2 way remote for the BS5.

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 03-26-2010 4:19 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

burantek:

jk1002:

I don't know... I think that it is a bit of a win for them. If you have the MLGW, or were considering one... I think it (this new app) is a nice perk.

I think some of the drooling has been over a total Apple solution sans the MLGW.

Oh I agree - if you already have or are planning a MLGW system then getting the official app free is a no brainer!

I also agree that this probably isn't quite the iPhone solution most proponents were hoping for.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 03-26-2010 5:40 PM In reply to

My ears were burning!

The MLGW is about $2,500.

While I understand the irony of a free app that requires a $2,500 purchase, how else was it expected to work? It's either working on WiFi or with a dongle. The dongle idea makes it nothing but a Beo4 (but worse than a Beo4) and the only way to interface with B&O globally is via the gateway.

The gateway is not only a great product, but representative of the direction B&O is taking in terms of better integration with other home systems and greater global control within the B&O system.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 03-26-2010 5:55 PM In reply to

cheaper to buy a MacMini and Phillipe's iPhone + LinkPlayer softwares

:-)

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 03-27-2010 12:32 AM In reply to

That's what I was about to say..I have no intention to buy MasterLink Gateway just for remote control! Since wi-fi is computer-related, why not design a PC &  Mac plug-in , or simply extend BeoPlayer/BeoPort capabilities to allow wi-fi remote control, since Linkplayer already offers a solution for Mac users?Surprise

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 03-27-2010 1:13 AM In reply to

• Jez
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Posts 150
    • Bronze Member

I think B&O has done the right thing. If you're thinking of it from purely an audio point of view then it seems excessive but this is a solution for the smart home that does everything and an ir remote doesn't cut it anymore. B&O pioneered home integration in the 80 and 90's an this is a good avenue to take. I believe it's for selected smart phones too not just iPhone/iTouch.

• 03-27-2010 2:50 AM In reply to

B&O's solution is a technologically appropriate - the problem is price. I think it will allow some kind of 2 way communication as ML Gateway can do it. You can also remote control from other rooms or from the internet.

With the ML gateway there is no need to have a computer running all the time.

The main problem comes from the high price of the ML Gateway (and installation) and the fact that there are few compatible B&O products,  that Beosounds are only supported in option 0, etc...

It is great news for the lucky few (usually americans) that have a ML Gateway and a Home automation system and a very recent setup, but not much of interest for those who have a more standard setup.

I am really curious to see the look and feel of this app though.

Having worked on a remote control app that works through the Beoport and a Mac, I need to stress that for the moment that remote app only controls what is heard on the Beoport connected speakers, but cannot control any other room, so this solution is rather limited compared to the MLGateway.

While writing this, something just came to my mind... B&O already has another product that has wifi/ethernet and masterlink, and some intelligence... it is the Beomaster 5.

It would be great if they added a "software ML gateway" to the Beomaster 5 software. I am 100% sure they could technically do it. The great thing about this is that the iPhone app could easily download the playlists and song info, cover art etc...

To build LinkPlayer without B&O's help (I haven't asked), I have had to reverse engineer Beoplayer on a PC and Beomedia 1... If one day I get my hand on a ML Gateway, I am quite convinced I can get the messages it sends over the ML and try and send the same messages through the Beoport. But that's distant future...

• 03-27-2010 3:45 AM In reply to

PhilLondon:

While writing this, something just came to my mind... B&O already has another product that has wifi/ethernet and masterlink, and some intelligence... it is the Beomaster 5.

It would be great if they added a "software ML gateway" to the Beomaster 5 software. I am 100% sure they could technically do it. The great thing about this is that the iPhone app could easily download the playlists and song info, cover art etc...

Why not just an iPhone app, to replace the beo4/5? A 2-way remote that is also available for ATV, Squeezebox, Sooloos, Sonos etc etc...

Instead for that B&O chooses an app for these "great" examples.Erm

When would BeoLink be useful?

You can see examples of different needs in different situations below
    On-the move context
    You are approaching home and want the gates to open • and the lights switched on (you are outside your residence and have Wi-Fi access).
    You are leaving home and want to switch off the music, • the lights and lock the doors (you are in your car leaving).
    Room context
    You are coming home entering your living room and • want to listen to the news – you access the room/zone and get control of what’s available in that room (context aware).
    You are on the phone and want to turn down the • volume (BeoLink provides the most used commands such as volume, track, channel, station etc. only).
    You are at home but still working and have not settled • in one room yet (your phone is closest to you).
    House context
    You cannot find the remote – but you always have the • mobile in my pocket.
    You want to turn on the music from the garden – the • remote is in the house.
    You want to open the garage door and turn on the • lights – your remote is in the living room.

• 03-27-2010 4:00 AM In reply to

PhilLondon:
    Having worked on a remote control app that works through the Beoport and a Mac, I need to stress that for the moment that remote app only controls what is heard on the Beoport connected speakers, but cannot control any other room, so this solution is rather limited compared to the MLGateway.

hmmm :(

I wonder if that was that my problem 

I tried to control LinkPlayer from another room via the iPhone :)

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 03-27-2010 4:13 AM In reply to

imagine what it'll be like on the ipad !!

exciting stuff

popgear is grate™

• 03-27-2010 4:33 AM In reply to

Puncher:

burantek:

jk1002:

Oh I agree - if you already have or are planning a MLGW system then getting the official app free is a no brainer!

I also agree that this probably isn't quite the iPhone solution most proponents were hoping for.

Absolutely!

I don't think we who have an iPhone are going to run out and MLGW just for iPhone control. Laughing I'm sure our Beo4's, 5's etc will do just fine. There was an open end to the iPhone app all the time, now we got the answer. 

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 04-21-2010 1:56 PM In reply to

I was just thinking about my BM5 being able to do this... anyone know if this is in the works?

Makes total sense and, to be honest, I haven't used the BM5 much and would love to justify the expense a bit more!

Should not be hard to do!!

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)