in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-12-2010 11:23 AM by Peter. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-12-2010 8:13 AM

Relative merits: Beovox 4702, M70, S75

Hello,

I have two pairs of Beovox S45 speakers in my office and am very happy with them. I am looking for something a little bigger for my living room, preferably a vintage era floor-standing box (not panel or tower). The variety of 1960s-70s B&O speakers is a bit daunting. Who knows something about Beovox 4702, M70, and S75 models? Or should I be looking in a diffferent direction?

Peter

• 03-12-2010 9:04 AM In reply to

Re: Relative merits: Beovox 4702, M70, S75

It does rather depend on what you plan to run them with. On the whole, get the speakers that match your system is an adage that is rarely wrong. B&O definitely matched speakers and receivers so the best performance is usually from the recommended speaker. I am not sure where you are but I would guess not the UK! The 4702 was not sold here - instead we had the 3800 which is a lovely speaker with a vry large Goodmans bass unit.

The M70 is an interesting speaker made to go with the Beomaster 4000 - it comes if you are lucky with beautiful trumpet stands, as does the 3800, and is also very well finished, both internally and externally. 

I know the S75 well, having used these as main speakers for a number of years. These are big S45-2s in many ways but you will notice that the bass is a little overdone and less well controlled than the S45, which is a very correct speaker. Get a rosewood pair and if you like rock music, you will probably get on fine! 

Alternatives do depend on your room and choice of system. I love M100s but they are large. Plenty of well controlled bass and lots of detail. In an informal listening test a few years ago with another Beoworld member, they were top of the pile against 3800s, S45s, S120s Pentas and a variety of smaller speakers. Their strong point is bass control - a big bass driver really does beat lots of small ones! M75s are similar but a little smaller. Again these are beautifully made speakers with good drive units and quality internal components. 

Let us know what you plan to use them with and we can advise further.

• 03-12-2010 9:35 AM In reply to

Well, I can't say definitively what they're going to be plugged into. I'm one of those equipment freaks who enjoy mixing and matching; I have a number of vintage amps and receivers that I switch around from one week to another, mostly Pioneer, Kenwood, Marantz and Sansui from early- to mid-70s. The only B&O equipment I have right now is the S45s (and they sound great no matter what's running them!). I had a pair of S25s and a pair of S30s, but I was not so keen on them so I sold them.

• 03-12-2010 9:41 AM In reply to

Can't disagree with your findings! S30s are OK but dull compared to S45s. The less said about S25s the better - S22s were actually rather better and for a small link room quite acceptable. M100s sound pretty good no matter what I use, like S45s, but the other speaker that is very well thought of is the S120/MC120.2. I actually don't like the design nearly as much but they do sound like bigger S45.2s with a dollop more bass but with the clarity still preserved. I know B&O liked these a lot and that they always review very well - much better that the S80 which looks almost identical. Think S30 and S45 again. 

• 03-12-2010 10:33 AM In reply to

Not much (subjective) information out there on the 4702s, 4703s, etc. Presumably the Uniphase line was an improvement on these?

Peter

• 03-12-2010 11:23 AM In reply to

Afraid I cannot help here as I have never heard or indeed seen a pair in the flesh! Martin will no doubt have had some! The 5702 is a fine speaker but I do think the Uniphase were an improvement. They also are more interesting visually with the angled front panel. 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)