in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-04-2010 1:51 PM by PhilLondon. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-02-2010 1:51 PM

• RAGH
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-02-2010
    • Posts 9
    • Bronze Member

B&O remote application for iPhoneOS and wifi/IP Gateway

Hi there,

Long time reader, first time poster.

There seems to be a lot of activity concerning Apple/iTunes lately.

I am a B&O and Apple adapt myself, and would very much like to have an app for the iPhoneOS (iPhone/iTouch/iPad) to control my B&O setup, and combine this with the remote.app for iTunes to choose de artist/album/song for a certain linkroom from where ever in the house you might be.

For this one would need a converterbox for wifi/IP to masterlink protocol, and an iPhone app to remote control B&O. Lintronic came to mind.

Therefore i send Michael at Lintronic a mail, see below.

I'd really like the opinion of you guys about this.

Kind Regards, Roy

"Hi Michael,

Fantastic product, your converterbox.

On beoworld.org there has been a lot of talk about apples itunes integration with B&O. There seem to be al lot of B&O folks that use Apple.

The problem is:
    If you have a masterlink system and want to listen to N.MUSIC from a itunes library (via Beoport or AppleTV)in a link room, first youve got to choose the N.MUSIC source on the linkspeaker (manual or by remote). Then you would have to walk to the computer (beoport) or TV (AppleTV) to choose the album/artist/song you want to hear.
    You can also use the Remote.app on a iTouch/iPhone/iPad to choose the album/artist/song.

So you need two devices to listen to the music you want to hear in a link room.

It would be very nice to have a iTouch/iPhone/iPad app to control the B&O equipment in a masterlink system. Then you could choose the room, and the source for that room, with the B&O remote app, and then use the Apple remote.app to control the itunes library.

The only things missing are the B%O remote application for iPhoneOS (so someone would have to make this) and a wifi/IP to masterlink converter box.

Can your product already do this?
    If not, and someone would make the B&O remote app, would you be in?

I think this would be a big thing in the B&O community.

Kind Regards,

Roy"

• 02-02-2010 3:43 PM In reply to

Re: B&O remote application for iPhoneOS and wifi/IP Gateway

Which converterbox are you talking about?
  • 02-02-2010 3:46 PM In reply to

• RAGH
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-02-2010
    • Posts 9
    • Bronze Member

Hi Phil,

This one came to mind, but maybe another would suffice, or we could have one made.

Its the principle of B&O control through iPhoneOS im interested in.

Anybody else interested in the same idea? l would really like your opinions about this, and how you think controlling your B&O equipment by iPhone can be made possible.

Kind Regards, Roy

http://www.lintronic.dk/TT455-RT-238.htm

• 02-03-2010 6:53 AM In reply to

• maclife
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-16-2007
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 26
    • Bronze Member

RAGH:

Hi Phil,

This one came to mind, but maybe another would suffice, or we could have one made.

Its the principle of B&O control through iPhoneOS im interested in.

Anybody else interested in the same idea? l would really like your opinions about this, and how you think controlling your B&O equipment by iPhone can be made possible.

Kind Regards, Roy

http://www.lintronic.dk/TT455-RT-238.htm

I’m using this product without any problems:

http://www.tinbert.com/iRed2/iredtouch

In addition to the above mentioned software you’d need an Ethernet or WiFi module from this company:

http://www.irtrans.de/en

I’m honestly irritated that Lintronic are still using RS232 (this is early sixties technology!) as an interface and a Windows only configuration tool. It’s like a product from the past decade.

HTH
  • 02-03-2010 11:19 AM In reply to

• fishta
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • London
    • Posts 79
    • Bronze Member

If you were to have a MasterLink Gateway to convert ML to RS232 and a Crestron Processor then this would work. All you would need is the basic Crestron App on your iPhone and then you could access your whole B&O system from where ever you are in the world! You wouldnt even need to be on the same Wi-Fi network as the Crestron App can work on 3G perfectly.

So it is possible it just depends how much you want to spend!!

What I want to be able to do with this is some how get the BeoSound 5 screen on to a Crestron hand held touch panel and be able to control it using that on the touch screen, if ony I knew anything about progamming Crestron then I would give it a go!

BeoVision 7-40 MkV

• 02-03-2010 12:22 PM In reply to

• StUrrock
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2008
    • Cambridgeshire
    • Posts 219
    • Bronze Member

We have been controling B&O products from the iPhone/iPod Touch via Control4 for some time now.

In fact I can turn on the lights, turn on the BeoVision 4 65", select a specific Sky channel and control the Pan Tilt CCTV in the showroom all from one app at my house 45 miles away! There are so many other benefits but I won't bore you all ;)

Starting cost around £1000-£1500 pounds.

• 02-03-2010 12:37 PM In reply to

• RAGH
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-02-2010
    • Posts 9
    • Bronze Member

Hi,

Can you please elaborate about your implementation?

I take it you use one of the Control4 controllers and their iPhone app.

How does this controller control your B&O equipment? By IR, or does it send signals directly to the MLBus? Is it two-way?

Kind Regards, Roy

• 02-03-2010 12:43 PM In reply to

StUrrock:
    Control4

Thanks for the tip!

Just hit their sight. Need to read up more, but seems excellent ...and I have a local dealer! Big Smile

• B&o bottle opener
  • 02-03-2010 1:42 PM In reply to

• StUrrock
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2008
    • Cambridgeshire
    • Posts 219
    • Bronze Member

For a small/ medium system IR is just fine.

For bigger systems the ML gateway is the way to go.

With either a PUC or an xml for file the Beo5 for the Control4 we can operate all all the CCTV and iPod dock etc with a Bang & Olufsen remote.

• 02-03-2010 1:58 PM In reply to

• RAGH
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-02-2010
    • Posts 9
    • Bronze Member

StUrrock:

For a small/ medium system IR is just fine.

For bigger systems the ML gateway is the way to go.

With either a PUC or an xml for file the Beo5 for the Control4 we can operate all all the CCTV and iPod dock etc with a Bang & Olufsen remote.

But how are you controlling the B&O setup with the iPhone app and controller of Control4?

And can you explain to me a bit more about why ML gateway is the way to go for larger systems? To my knowledge the ML gateway is just an "intermediate" and needs a home automation package to control it, meaning a server (which pref has an iPhone client, such as CQC for example). What i and some others are interested in is a iPhone app that controls this gateway (whatever the brand is) directly so you can put a linkspeaker in another linkroom to N.MUSIC and then select the music you want to hear with the Remote.app for itunes from Apple.

Is this possible when using Control4, and if so: how?

Thnx, Roy

• 02-03-2010 2:20 PM In reply to

RAGH:
    ML gateway is just an "intermediate" and needs a home automation package to control it
    An iPhone app could talk to the ML gateway without the need of server. The protocol is documented, so making an app should be quite easy. That is the only way to get 2 way as well.

IR based solutions cannot be 2 way because B&O's IR receivers are not emitters (since they've switched to ML from MCL).

• 02-04-2010 9:35 AM In reply to

• kawo
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 516
    • Founder

I do not know to many details of the MLGW, but does it have an RS232 Gateway and not IP network? So do you need a device that translates the IP world to RS232?

I found this here: http://ikatu.com/blog/?p=33

looks like they have developed the MLGW for B&O

BV4-50, Beosystem 3, Beolab 5, Beolab 3, BV3-32, BV1, BS9000, Beolab 4, Beolab 2000, Beo4 Cinema

• 02-04-2010 9:45 AM In reply to

• kawo
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 516
    • Founder

Have just found this nice presentation:

http://mlgw.bang-olufsen.dk/source/documents/mlgw_1.20a/

looks like Ethernet is build in, so who writes the iPhone/iPad App?Big Smile

BV4-50, Beosystem 3, Beolab 5, Beolab 3, BV3-32, BV1, BS9000, Beolab 4, Beolab 2000, Beo4 Cinema

• 02-04-2010 1:51 PM In reply to

kawo:

I found this here: http://ikatu.com/blog/?p=33

looks like they have developed the MLGW for B&O

This was the MLGW 1, the new one has Ethernet.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)