in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-05-2010 3:41 AM by Heribert. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-04-2010 6:30 PM

Beovision 8: Is it worth it buying?

Hello, I am considering buying a second hand BV8 32" with a built-in free view module as I really like its design and it's also chepaer that other models.

First of all I would like to know if there is a difference between a freeview module and a DAB one and how much I can expect to pay for a two year old BV8 in black.

Then is its picture a good one or should I choose something else?

I would appreciate your comments Smile

Bruno

• 01-04-2010 6:45 PM In reply to

Re: Beovision 8: Is it worth it buying?

I bought a white BV8-32 that was a demo so at first it was a little gray in places but cleaned up very nicely :)

The family loves the BV8-32, and given its reduced price I actually escaped the usual complaints I get when I buy B&O.

In fact my sons were saying they have never seen a a screen that is as crisp and clear as a PC (well Mac actually) monitor.

I have been able to exploit every one of the connections into the BV8, so much so that the connectivity of the BV7 platform no longer seems so much of an advantage.

At the distance (2.6 metres from eyeball to screen) we view the BV8 and with our sources (720 freeview, SCART foxtel, SCART DVD, HDMI PS3 or Mac [including Mac elgato EyeTV of 1080 freeview]) the BV8 picture is good.

Not sure that there is a freeview module as such ... isn't that the same as DVB-T ?

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 01-04-2010 6:54 PM In reply to

Thank you Elephant for your quick reply and information. Yes, I am pretty sure the freeview module is the DVB-T. I am not very technical as you may imagine. Really care for the design mostly Smile

From what you say the picture quality is very good and I am more tempted to get one. mmm have to take a decision and it's not easy!

Thanks again and enjoy your BV8!

Bruno

• 01-04-2010 7:09 PM In reply to

Also take a look at this chart http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/31146/250160.aspx#250160

It should help you decide if 32" is enough within your viewing distance

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 01-04-2010 7:26 PM In reply to

At the moment I am about 2.80mt from the tv screen which is a 28" Crt

I don't think I would like a tv bigger than 32"

• 01-04-2010 7:36 PM In reply to

I forgot to add that the ONLY bit that has gradually disappointed me is the quality of the sound from the inbuilt speaker and the fact that I can't get surround sound via the BV8-32

• 01-04-2010 7:53 PM In reply to

I'm not really interested in the surround sound via the tv. I have one now which is quite good and that's enough for me. When you say disappointed in its sound, could you please be more specific? Also can you connect other B&O equipment? I have an Ouverture with 2 beolab 6000 speakers

Thank you

• 01-04-2010 8:16 PM In reply to

Yes, I have attached 2xBL3s to the BV8-32.

The BV8 has a feature called "centre balance" which allows you to balance the internal speaker against the two external BeoLabs (you will need the Y-shaped powerlink connector).

I find that the centre BV8 speaker over powers(?)/shadows the BL3s unless I change the balance.

When I use "SPEAKER 1" the BV8 is best at "VOLUME 39"
    but "SPEAKER 2" (just the BL3s) needs to be raised to around "VOLUME 50+/-"
    and when I am working close to the BV8 (less than a metre) I can hear what I would call bass distortion from the BV8.

So you will be able to attach your BL 6000s to the BV8, and use a masterlink cable to the Overture to access the CD, tape and radio sources via the BV8.  When you play the audio sources the BV8's speakers come on but not the screen.

You will probably need to adjust both of their "OPTION" settings.

• 01-04-2010 8:27 PM In reply to

Cool! How many things you can learn here Big Smile

• 01-04-2010 9:34 PM In reply to

Hi,

I have the US BV 8 32. Only thing you will have to watch out for is the number of HDMI ports, it just has 1. If you plan on running many up to date HD devices that may not be sufficient. For me, I have only Apple TV and a Wii it is OK.

@ Elephant. I noticed what you describe with the BL3 as well. In fact, on my set there is a significant difference in sound between having the BL3 attached to the TV versus direct to my BC2 when it comes to Music. I do have a BL2 inbetween.

I am running the BV8 stand alone and have the BL3/BL2 directly attached to BC2.

I am quite happy with the integrated BV8 speaker and actually do not use the TV that much.

Cheers

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 01-04-2010 11:02 PM In reply to

jk1002:
    I am running the BV8 stand alone and have the BL3/BL2 directly attached to BC2.

Yes, I am thinking of moving the BL3s to a dedicated music environment (except using Phillipe's LinkPlayer in full MENU mode does give me such pleasure !) attached to my BeoSound 4 or even to an Active box.

This would probably coincide with me getting an external Blue-Ray player with its own decoder so that I can drive the BV8 as the centre speaker, and use 4 BeoLab 4s as the surround sound units.

• 01-05-2010 2:04 AM In reply to

I like the Beovision 8, but given the choice between a 32'' and a 40'' I'd say the 40'' is better value. It has the better screen and sound and if I'm honest it looks better too, because it's better proportioned.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 01-05-2010 3:41 AM In reply to

I have the BV8-40 and like it a lot. It works with 2*BL3 and Speaker mode 3 as Center and the sound is quite stunning. 

I have it with system module to add Masterlink - which is very important - do not understand they charge this as an extra. 

Picture quality is very good - also compared to BV7. 

One negative aspect is the soft touch coating which seems to work like a dust magnet ;-)

Heribert

BeoVision 8-40 / BeoVision 8-32 / Beovision 6-26 / BeoSound 3200 / BeoSound 1 / BeoLab 3 /  Beolab 6000 / Beolab 2000 / Beoport / Beomedia 1 / 3* Beo4 /BeoCom 5 with VOIP

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)