in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-13-2009 9:59 AM by Electrified. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-06-2009 5:46 AM

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

BS5 does not display long track titles. Update coming?

Good morning,

today I realised that my Beosound 5 does NOT display long track titles in the "now playing screen". The big cover screen that's shown when you move the lever to the top or bottom.

Example:

Artist: Faithless
    Album: Back to mine

- Title: Mushrooms  (Salt City Orchestra Out There Mix)
    - Title: Bug Powder Dust  (Kruder & Dorfmeister TM Instrumental) 

The titles are displayed like this:
    1.) Mushrooms  (Salt City Orchestra Out...
    2.) Bug Powder Dust  (Kruder & Dorfmeister TM...

Will Bang & Olufsen release an update adressing this issue? I think a Audio/Video company should know that there are existing longer track titles Big Smile

Dear Bang & Olufsen, please update this machine! I want to enjoy it 100% and not 98% Smile 

• 10-07-2009 12:47 AM In reply to

Re: BS5 does not display long track titles. Update coming?

Funny things....opinions....

I was sat listening last night and really wished that both WMA and Beoplayer (and the BS5) would find a quick and easy way to eliminate what I consider intrusive and superfluous title meta-data.

I just want the opposite of you T.W.G. I hate (........bracketted extended titles) and especially [*I cant think of anything new so I will re-mix this remix] square bracket tags.

Good luck regardless of our differing aspirations of the product

10%

• 10-10-2009 6:29 PM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Greater Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

The ability to display long titles (bracketed or not) ought to be there, even if it has to be scrolling to fit.

I mean, you don't absolutely have to have those brackets or anything else, if you don't like them. You can just cut down on the tags themselves. However, classical music, operas and such really needs long titles, in my opinion. For instance, I have six or seven different Don Giovanni-operas and four different Bach Cello Suites. Long titles is a must for those things. At least I find I want to see that info, but to paraphrase you,  YMMV. :)

Btw, I don't like brackets either, but I do like info.  I mean, all my Nick Cave-stuff is just "Nick Cave", because I don't need the info that it's actually "& The Bad Seeds", but I do like to have the song info. "Nick Cave: The Curse of Millhaven - with xXX XXX" to differentiate that same song but with another guest solist or in case I forget which person appeared. You know, "just like having your CD collection but without the messy covers" Stick out tongue

Edit:

I figured I'd give a couple of examples of long track titles:

Cello Suite No. 1 in G major, BWV 1007: I. Prelude

Cello Suite No. 2 in D minor, BWV 1008: V. Menuet I - Menuet II

And that's without mentioning it's Morten Zeuthen's interpretation of Bach's Violincello suites.

• 10-12-2009 8:40 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

@Mr. 10percent:

So different the people ;-)
    But in your tearm it should be an easy solution by editing the TAGs of your music to fullfill your requirements.

@Electrified:
    Different music, same problem :-)

I hope that Bang & Olufsen will offer a solution to this with an update!

It's very funny for example if you have 40 albums only named "The Best of" :) 

• 10-12-2009 9:18 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

Haha, yeah, "Best of" really doesn't cut it, imo Stick out tongue

I have decided to put things on hold with me buying the BS5. I figure that it is indeed possible for the thing to play bwf-files, as XP and Vista does so without a hitch (depending on bitrate and sample rate, of course), but this thing, Where a track which should look like this:

Artist:Morten Zeuthen

Album: Johann Sebastian Bach's Cello Suites

Track: Cello Suite No. 1 in G Major BWV 1007. 1. Prelude

By counting your letters, that would be truncated to:

"Cello Suite No. 1 in G major BWV..." thereby making it a blind effort to choose between the tracks in suite #1.

I wonder how long the album name can be? Or the Artist-name?

This ridiculous limit coupled with the inability to have feedback from the screen while using the remote have me waiting. Those things are what could be considered my "threshold to buy". I mean, my Cowon D2+, which isn't exactly the easiest to use around, is better than this for plain and extremely good "music enjoyment gadget".

Also, not exactly a must-have, but for the life of me, I can't figure out why on earth they didn't put a headphone socket in that thing. It would make it so much better next to your favourite chair, and that alone would make me try it, even if they didn't update it to my "TTB".

Really, it can't be that hard to let it show longer titles, even if that means it would have to be scrolling titles.

Edit:

I found a link, not only with the rather long track titles, but apparently also with (legal) downloads of the thing, if you want to take a listen. It's propably mp3s and certainly not Morten Zeuthen doing it, but anyways, here they are:

classicmusic.wordpress.com/2007/01/11/jsbach-cello-suites-nos-1-6-rostropovich/

Edit two: Hmm, my post is truncated, this is a test to check if it will show up without the http

• 10-12-2009 10:40 AM In reply to

T.W.G

I dont think this problem (The best of) is unique to the BS5 or B&O. I'm perhaps not quite in the loop but this seems to be a limitation of most tag-sorting software today.

I get around the problem by naming each album using the following nomclementure-

"Album artist - Album name - disc x.x"  So the result would look like:-

"Diana Krall - The Very Best of Diana Krall"

"Various - Now Thats What I call Rubbish 66.1" (where "66" = volume and ".1" denotes disc 1, 3 and so on on a multiple disc volume). Thus all my albums are stored in Artist order in Album mode.  "Various"/ "Various Chill" / Various Jazz" is assigned albums which are not of one specific artist etc....

Song Titles are still stored by title, as is Artist in Artist mode.

This works very well for me with 700 albums and perhaps a 100-150 multiple disc albums. I guess its all about how you want to log your information and retrieve it. I beleive my system is extremely effective and overcomes the problem you describe easily but it may not suit everyone/anyone.

10%

• 10-13-2009 9:35 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

@Mr. 10 Percent:

Yes,  I agree that this is only a software- and tagging-problem and the system you're using is the best way to go in my opinion, too.

@Elctrified:

Don't get me wrong about the cut out tags: It ONLY appears in the main screen when you're listening to music. The Main screen is the "now playing" screen where the BS5 shows the big album cover.

When  you're searching for a track/album it displays everything!

Personaly I don't regret that I bought the BS 5. It's a very nice and decent music system that integrates nicely in my living room.
    It's so nice to spin the aluminium wheel, search for some music, hit "go" and listen...

• 10-13-2009 9:59 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

TWG:
    When  you're searching for a track/album it displays everything!

Oh, I see . That is good. Not good enough, but at least one can choose the correct track.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)