in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-25-2009 5:54 PM by Stephen Neale. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-22-2009 5:44 AM

• Bundy
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-25-2008
    • Bolderslev, Denmark
    • Posts 58
    • Gold Member

Sound improvment after refoaming beovox

Hi

I just wondered how big the soundimprovement is after refoaming beovox speakers. I have S80 and MS150 and thet both need refoaming but how high should I set that on the repairlist?

Brgds Mogens

• 08-22-2009 10:10 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Re: Sound improvment after refoaming beovox

If they need refoaming then the sooner you do it the better. Playing speakers with degraded foam surrounds has a high risk of damaging the drive coils and if that happens then they are ruined.

I would strongly recommend replacing the capacitors in the crossovers at the same time as this too can have a big affect on the sound quality. Member Dillen (Martin) can supply capacitor kits with full fitting instructions.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 08-22-2009 2:30 PM In reply to

I second that.

I can recall when I got my white Beovox S80.2 last year arriving to get them. The lady present asked if I would like to hear them and I said that it did not matter as they were allready on the way to be fixed at Dillen in Copenhagen. There were typically signs of foamrot. Not that big but enough.

Doing it will make the Beovoxes sounding great for the next 2 decades at least or more.

• 08-22-2009 10:13 PM In reply to

Hi, i'm new to B&O equipment, i have a pair of RL35's, can you tell me where abouts foam rot takes place in the speakers and how you tell if the speakers have it, my speakers sound ok just want to know for future referance. Regards.

Steve

• 08-23-2009 3:20 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Steve,

Welcome to Beoworld !  Yes -  thumbs up

The woofers in the RL35 have rubber surrounds and therefore don't suffer from foam
    rot but it's very common to see cracked solder joints on the crossover filter boards.
    It's a fairly easy fix.
    Worth grabbing a capacitor kit and replace the lot while in there.

Mogens, I agree with Chris and Friedmett. I can also help you with the
    refoam'ing if you need and capacitor kits exists for both types.

Martin

• 08-25-2009 5:54 PM In reply to

Thanks for your help, might open up the speakers to see whats going on in them, where would i get a capaccitor kit if i should need one. Thanks,

Steve

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)