in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-06-2007 6:34 PM by darioazul. 43 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (44 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-06-2007 5:45 AM In reply to

Re: Traitor!!

djs:
    My BL3s are well and truly run in. I've had them since they were first released. I use them with a BeoCenter2. When first installed they buzzed. This was sorted out by the installers by moving the cabling in the wall cavity to avoid electrical interference. They are the correct cables. 

I think the BL3s are good with jazz and even chamber music. That is, where a small number of instruments are played, they cope well. They also are good with voice. It is with orchestral music that they struggle. As I said in my previous post, they don't come near matching the sound of my other system, both in terms of depth and sound-staging. Direct comparison when listening to the sound of a violin or a piano is also enlightening. My B&W805s speakers sound much closer to the sound of these instruments when heard in a concert hall. 

My previous post was in order to recommend Musical Fidelity products to Peter. I did not intend to embark on B&O bashing or to upset anyone who is happy with their BL3s. I still have several other B&O products which I am very happy with.

Cheers, djs

Perfectly reasonable post and clearly how you have found them. I would not recommend them for playing loud as I think they become confused sounding at higher volumes. As near field monitors, I think they are excellent though.

Will report back tonight! Thanks for the advice all of you!

• 06-06-2007 7:53 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Peter:

The DAC idea is a good one. I'll certainly bear that one in mind.

I am going to have a listen - no commitment!

I agree with Soundproof about the BL3s. I am very sceptical about running in speakers but in the case of the BL3s, it certainly was my experience as well.

I'll report back! 

A DAC with switchable source would be a good idea so that you could select CD player digital out or Hard Drive source etc.

Or you could just plug the digital out of your CD5500 into Lab5's - all of those jitter / valve preamp specs of the source then become irreleventDevil

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 06-06-2007 8:02 AM In reply to

Puncher:

A DAC with switchable source would be a good idea so that you could select CD player or Hard Drive source etc.

Or you could just plug the digital out of your CD5500 into Lab5's - all of those jitter / valve preamp specs of the source then become irreleventDevil

Both the linked DACs have switchable, digital sources.

I have my Beogram CD6500 linked with S/PDIF, coaxial.

And my Airport Express with a TOSLINK optical.
    The USB connector on the Benchmark I use when I want to connect my Mac; and there's a balanced XLR digital in that I haven't come up with a use for yet.

• 06-06-2007 10:19 AM In reply to

Well I am back!!

And I did not buy a new CD player! The CDX performed very well although I thought the MF A5 had better control of the bass generally. The differences were pretty marginal  so I was not going to swap!

The listening was done in the dedicated listening room and we used a top of the range Naim system and Spendor S9e speakers. Excellent service from Lintone Audio and from David Baker who was everything a Hi-Fi salesman is not expected to be! Informative, friendly, not pushy in the slightest and just happy to help. I cannot recommend this store highly enough. The equipment was well set up and sited and not a loudness button on or treble knob cranked up to be seen. I listened to 3 CDs I had taken along - DSOTM - because I know it backwards - Pachelbel Canon as it has good interplay between string instruments and Arrival of the Queen of Sheba by Handel  as it has a nice complex piece with plenty of instruments. Also Court and Spark by Joni Mitchell.

There were places where the A5 seemed more revealing - but at other times I had to check which player I was using. Both performed well. I did then listen to the Naim CD player (the CD555) - which blew the other two away! I suppose that is what I was wanting to hear from the A5 and didn't. The Naim was £17,000 if anyone is interested! Decided against it!!

The A5 had a very poor user interface  with the CD draw being particularly cheap feeling. I realise this makes no difference to the sound but it made me less likely to buy it. For the sake of a few pounds of engineering, it seemed an oversight. The CDX was much better in this respect and had big control surfaces as opposed to the tiny buttons.

I had a chat about DACs and will be going back. I will also be auditioning the Naim CD5x (I think!). Still looking for a Beogram CD5500 though!

• 06-06-2007 11:32 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Only issue with the DAC route is that if you do ever land the BL5's then it either becomes redundant or you end up converting the signal twice.

Ideally need a switchable digital "patchbay" with the output connected to the Lab5's. This would allow all digital sources to use the Lab5's, using their internal DAC and be converted only once.

• 06-06-2007 12:24 PM In reply to

Puncher:

Only issue with the DAC route is that if you do ever land the BL5's then it either becomes redundant or you end up converting the signal twice.

Ideally need a switchable digital "patchbay" with the output connected to the Lab5's. This would allow all digital sources to use the Lab5's, using their internal DAC and be converted only once.

You're right. I would like to know which DAC they have installed in the BL5s. 

The DACs mentioned above or so inexpensive relative to what you get that it's really worth examining that path.

And you don't have to convert the signal twice. With the BL5s in place, the issue is moot, in that I expect the DACs in them will be on a par with, or better, than the standalone DACs I've tested. However, for all other listening setups, with speakers "below" BL5, I'd strongly recommend this. Both the Benchmark and LAVRY have opened up my music in ways that my CD-players are incapable of.

And it's a great way of resuscitating the CD-players in the B&O range with digital out signals. Huge difference between the DAC in my Beogram CD6500 and the stand-alone ones.

(And to those wondering - the soundstage and bass on the Beolab 5000 Frede Kristensen refurbished for me still wallops the Beomaster 7000; incredible resolution of the instruments and a really tight bass through the Beolab 5000 - but I'm sure the 7000 would benefit from a similar refurbishment!) 

===

Great to hear you got professional service at the store, Peter! I find that most Hi-Fi stores have enthusiastic and engaged personnel who are really willing to put their hardware on the line for their potential customers. 

• 06-06-2007 2:17 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

soundproof:

You're right. I would like to know which DAC they have installed in the BL5s. 

You cant compare directly because the Digital to Analogue conversion is done at "speaker power" levels in a Class D amp, i.e. high frequency, high voltage, is switched into the load (i.e. speaker) and the driver Inductance acts as part of the low pass filter  which "extracts" the audio information from the high power, "binary" drive.

In other words its not a recognisable DAC chip as such.

• 06-06-2007 4:30 PM In reply to

• darren
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 164
    • Bronze Member

You have mail about the CD5500
  • 06-06-2007 4:42 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

darren:
    You have mail about the CD5500

Bugger! - I thought you meant me!

• 06-06-2007 4:46 PM In reply to

Already replied!!
  • 06-06-2007 5:34 PM In reply to

Dear Peter:

How good of a cd carrier is the BS 9000?  It is the only B&O that can connect directly to BL 5 digitally.  Is this correct?
    When I hear music, I fear no danger. I see no foe... Thoreau
  • 06-06-2007 5:40 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

My understanding is that, at least the CD5500, CD6500 and CD7000 can also connect digitally. I'm not sure of the other CD players (other than the stated BS9000).

• 06-06-2007 5:43 PM In reply to

• PL212
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - Seattle
    • Posts 318
    • Bronze Member

Don't forget the CD50!
  • 06-06-2007 5:44 PM In reply to

The BC2 can as well. The BS9000 is a pretty standard Philips type mechanism, somewhat complicated by the fact it has to shoot up and down! I believe it is not quite as reliable as some but on the whole is not bad at all. Having seen what type of transport passes muster in so called high end equipment, it would seem rather good! Naim seem to make very nice mechanisms but base theirs on Philips mechanisms so they can't be that bad!
  • 06-06-2007 5:49 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Huh? Don't think the CD50 has a digital output???Huh?

• 06-06-2007 5:55 PM In reply to

• PL212
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - Seattle
    • Posts 318
    • Bronze Member

Puncher:

Maybe you're right! Did that only arrive with the 5500? I thought I remembered a single RCA jack output on the back for digital but I could be wrong...

• 06-06-2007 6:10 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

PL212:

Puncher:

Maybe you're right! Did that only arrive with the 5500? I thought I remembered a single RCA jack output on the back for digital but I could be wrong...

I don't think so - but you have me doubting myself???

Its too late this eveningto drag mine out to investigate so I will rely on others to tell us which of us is correct!!

• 06-06-2007 6:21 PM In reply to

I'll keep an eye out. The CD 5500's are not too hard to find, the only tourble is that the parts are. From what I understand the reconditioned laser PU systems form B&O are not avaialbe any longer, at least not in the States. The technicians tell me that the CD50's are the workhorses in this line. Lots of options out there in the multi-player arena. The rotating 5 disc platters are nice for mixing it up and dropping in one CD while another is playing. DJ style.
  • 06-06-2007 6:34 PM In reply to

Dear Peter:

How good of a cd carrier is the BS 9000?  It is the only, thus far, cd player in the B&O line up with digital out, correct?  

Thanks,

RD
    When I hear music, I fear no danger. I see no foe... Thoreau
    Filed under:
Page 2 of 2 (44 items) < Previous 1 2