in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-24-2009 5:16 PM by Friedmett. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-22-2009 9:25 AM

New Beosystem 6000 owner - some questions...

Afternoon all

I've just picked up a whole Beosystem 6000 and have a few questions.  I've scoured the forums for answers before posting but a few questions remain unanswered, so I'd really appreciate some wise words (as I'm a novice to all of this) – sorry for posting all at once – someone please tell me if I’d be better off breaking this up!

1. The BM6000 seems to be working perfectly - all LEDs operational, even heat on the heatsink, volume controls all working.  The system came with some S120s that need refoaming so in the meantime I was thinking of using some 3800s that I've got.  However I note there is no 4ohm rating listed for the BM6000, just 75W into 8ohm.  I don't want to damage either amp or speakers by matching inappropriately so providing I'm not driving these hard, will they be OK temporarily?  I've got some refoamed S80s so would they be preferable?  

2. I noted on the BM6000 page on here that an Active AM Antenna AA 10 was listed as an accessory, which confused me a little as I thought they were FM only.  Not really knowing what the antenna was and being a big fan of Radio Five Live, I wondered if it was perhaps a clever self contained AM receiver that could be plugged in via a spare input.  I found one of these for sale recently and bought it unseen before picking up the 6000.  On receiving the antenna, it's obviously just a powered AM aerial - can someone just confirm that it's not for use with the BM6000 after all?

3. The BM6000 was advertised as having a remote control but when I got it, the remote was the Beolink 1000 which seemed an unlikely match.  It didn’t work but I haven’t yet tried it with fresh batteries.  I have seen something on here about potentially using a Beolink 1000 with a BM6000 if you had an IR code converter kit and a modification was made to the amplifier.  I’ll try the remote with some new batteries and let you know.  Anyone know anything about this?  There are a couple of potentially encouraging signs – the cover for the IR sensor on the BM6000 has been removed at some point but then pushed back on slightly wrongly so thus far I haven’t been able to check to see if there is the optional remote control board present.  Also in the bag of cables etc that I got, there is something which looks a lot like this IR receiver which I guess could have been part of the code converter process????  http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=250464116365

4. Apart from having to reset the clock, is there any problem with turning the unit off at the mains between uses?  I saw something somewhere about this not being advisable for one particular amp (don't know which one) due to the amount of “retained” power in the unit (sorry, layman’s language!).  Is this rubbish???

Thanks in advance and sorry for the lengthy first post!!!

All the best

I

• 07-22-2009 9:39 AM In reply to

Re: New Beosystem 6000 owner - some questions...

Hi I!

Welcome to BeoWorld as a Silver member!

I thought your first post was great, and you appear to have done a good bit of homework!

Islippy:
    I've got some refoamed S80s so would they be preferable?

I think I would use the S80's and maybe just keep them in place -they should be well matched to the 6000.

Islippy:
    On receiving the antenna, it's obviously just a powered AM aerial - can someone just confirm that it's not for use with the BM6000 after all?

No AM.

Islippy:
    The BM6000 was advertised as having a remote control but when I got it, the remote was the Beolink 1000 which seemed an unlikely match.

The BL1000, by default, will not work with the 6000. As you mention, you might have found one with at least part of the rare converter!

Islippy:
    is there any problem with turning the unit off at the mains between uses?

I think it depends on the frequency of use. I always leave Beo powered up if it is in use within a (2) week period -a strictly arbitrary value that I came up with...

• B&o bottle opener
  • 07-22-2009 1:41 PM In reply to

Islippy:

Afternoon all

I've just picked up a whole Beosystem 6000 and have a few questions.  I've scoured the forums for answers before posting but a few questions remain unanswered, so I'd really appreciate some wise words (as I'm a novice to all of this) – sorry for posting all at once – someone please tell me if I’d be better off breaking this up!

1. The BM6000 seems to be working perfectly - all LEDs operational, even heat on the heatsink, volume controls all working.  The system came with some S120s that need refoaming so in the meantime I was thinking of using some 3800s that I've got.  However I note there is no 4ohm rating listed for the BM6000, just 75W into 8ohm.  I don't want to damage either amp or speakers by matching inappropriately so providing I'm not driving these hard, will they be OK temporarily?  I've got some refoamed S80s so would they be preferable?  

No problem at all - I have used 3800s with the similar 4400 without any issues. Very nice speaker - especially on the trumpet stands. The S120 is also good though - possibly one of the best B&O speakers.

2. I noted on the BM6000 page on here that an Active AM Antenna AA 10 was listed as an accessory, which confused me a little as I thought they were FM only.  Not really knowing what the antenna was and being a big fan of Radio Five Live, I wondered if it was perhaps a clever self contained AM receiver that could be plugged in via a spare input.  I found one of these for sale recently and bought it unseen before picking up the 6000.  On receiving the antenna, it's obviously just a powered AM aerial - can someone just confirm that it's not for use with the BM6000 after all?

No AM. Blame the proof readers here!!

3. The BM6000 was advertised as having a remote control but when I got it, the remote was the Beolink 1000 which seemed an unlikely match.  It didn’t work but I haven’t yet tried it with fresh batteries.  I have seen something on here about potentially using a Beolink 1000 with a BM6000 if you had an IR code converter kit and a modification was made to the amplifier.  I’ll try the remote with some new batteries and let you know.  Anyone know anything about this?  There are a couple of potentially encouraging signs – the cover for the IR sensor on the BM6000 has been removed at some point but then pushed back on slightly wrongly so thus far I haven’t been able to check to see if there is the optional remote control board present.  Also in the bag of cables etc that I got, there is something which looks a lot like this IR receiver which I guess could have been part of the code converter process????  http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=250464116365

The IR code converter is a rectangular box and is hens teeth - only seen one and I have given it away! They don't work very well anyway - quite slow! Get the correct controller - they do come up - I am afraid mine went to Norway some years ago!

4. Apart from having to reset the clock, is there any problem with turning the unit off at the mains between uses?  I saw something somewhere about this not being advisable for one particular amp (don't know which one) due to the amount of “retained” power in the unit (sorry, layman’s language!).  Is this rubbish???

I think there are pros and cons of both - I leave my 8000 system permanently on.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the lengthy first post!!!

All the best

I

Welcome to Beoworld. How about some pictures!

• 07-22-2009 2:51 PM In reply to

The Beosystem 6000 works great with any Beovox that can handle the output of 2*60watts. Something like that.

I use Beovox S80.2 and S120 mostly. At present my spare Beomaster 6000 uses Beovox CX100 which works great.

You do need the 2035 remote which was optional for the Beomaster. Keep an eye on Ebay. They do turn up.

They work just as great as any othe B&O remote there is exept it's only for audio use.

One thing to check right away is if the IR printboard is installed. Look under the Beomaster 6000 and remove the plastic cover. Its cliped on so fairly simple to do. If there is a printboard the unit had a 2035 remote at some point.

I'm sorry but Peter has forgotten that I actually have that rare IR codeconverter box too. I'm not giving up on it but I still have not used it as I upgraded to better link system being the Beosystem 6500. It would work with a Beovision MX5500 or something like that. I do need an IR eye to complete it but it's just as rare to find the original one but I guess it can be done otherwise. There is 2 options with the IR kit. One is to link to a Beovision to use the Beolink 1000 or use it for the first type of MCL linking. For the Beomaster 6000 it needs to be modified and so does the MCL units.

That's the opional Beolab 2035 terminal for the Beomaster 6000. I got 2 Beomaster 6000 and I have a remote for each so not for sale.

This is inside the Beomaster 6000. The printboard to the right which has 2 red leds connected is the IR remote board. Funny story is that when I got this Beomaster it did not work at all. Dillen fixed it and I got it home. I had located a dirty remote on Ebay and after a cleanup+ battery it was working great. So I try the remote on the Beomaster but nothing happens. Is the Ir board installed? It was not but Dillen had one and it still works fine.

My main Beomasteres is always on standby. The 6500, 6000 and 8000. I only got 1 Beomaster 6000 at home and it needs service but at present its on standby and used with CX100's

• 07-24-2009 8:31 AM In reply to

Many thanks to everyone for their quick and informative replies - very helpful indeed!  I still can't get the cover off the bottom to see if it's got the IR board installed - at some point it's been removed and then jammed back in so the runners on the cover are wedged under the main casing, not slid on properly.  I've tried in vain to get it move but am very nervous of damaging it.  With that in mind, I'll approach it from the other direction, stick some fresh batteries in the remote and see if anything happens!!!  From everything's that's been said it sounds unlikely that it's been converted but you never know!!!

Thanks again for everyone's help and advice - this is a great forum!!!

Have a good weekend

I

• 07-24-2009 5:16 PM In reply to

Ok.

You could open the beomaster 6000.

Release the 2 screws on the back, one in each side. You can open it up to service mode that way. The same as in the open positon picture.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)