in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-03-2009 7:06 AM by jpc23. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-01-2009 8:57 PM

• jpc23
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-02-2009
    • Posts 2
    • Bronze Member

Problem connecting a PSTN Base (Older Style) to a phoneline

Hi, can anyone help please?

I am an independent sky installer. We have just installed sky tv and openreach has just activated the phoneline at a customers house. I have got the sky broadband up and running for him. The line works fine ie I can plug an ordinary phone in and it will call properly. All this through the filter.

However - my customer has a B+O base station (square) which transmits to 2 b+o phones - I'm sorry I can't be more specific at this point with model numbers etc.Try this link as it looks like this picture http://www.beoworld.org/prod_details.asp?pid=1234

It simply doesn't do anything. The b+o phones don't pick up a dialling tone. The two phones are older types that have 2 tiny lights on them which should both be green when they are receiving a connection, 1 for the power (the phone base) and one for the handset. The handset is red and the base green indicating there is power but no signal being received from the square base, even though it is plugged into the BT phone socket.

He is having kittens as his phone worked fine at his previous address in the UK, and is trying to blame me! :) He moved from one side of brighton to another about a month ago. The square base station has an RJ11 connector which used to be plugged into a BT adapter that got lost in the move. We have tried another adapter from maplin to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Thanks

JP

• 07-02-2009 3:20 AM In reply to

Re: Problem connecting a PSTN Base (Older Style) to a phoneline

Hello JP and a very warm welcome to Beoworld

Based on the information you have provided I feel you have a key item missing.

The RJ11 does have an adapter and you must use the B&O version which also connects to teh power supply.

Your customer needs to find the original cable, power supply and connector as below

Regards Keith....

• 07-03-2009 7:06 AM In reply to

• jpc23
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-02-2009
    • Posts 2
    • Bronze Member

Re: Problem connecting a PSTN Base (Older Style) to a phoneline

Thanks Keith,

Well if it's as straightforward as that then Brilliant! He never mentioned it having it's own power supply - he's a bit of a technophobe, just mentioned that the 'adapter' was lost in the move - I assumed he meant the rj11 to bt adapter. I also - somewhat naively - assumed the base station received it's power from the current in the phone line...

I'll let you know the result.

jp 

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)