in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-05-2009 1:25 PM by PhilLondon. 119 replies.
Page 5 of 5 (120 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-07-2009 11:22 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2007
    • Atlanta, USA
    • Posts 318
    • Founder

Re: beotime - on time ?

TWG:
    You shouldn't listen what other people say; if you like your Beosound 9000 displaying the time then do it - no matter what other people say!

TWG:  I don't think that was Beophile's point.  His point is that it's just a little obnoxious to justify why an expensive product refuses to perform a simple function in keeping with the norm of other products in that country.  

/

Many countries use 12h out of tradition.  As does anyone who uses an analog watch.  Obviously, we in North America understand the benefits of 24h time and use it often in technical applications but in the home we like our time keeping traditional.  As do many.

I don't think anyone on the forum, on either side of the pond, was intending to be obtuse.  But 12h/24h is a pretty minute issue and this is an international forum.  Obviously B&O understands the benefit of allowing for 12h time in their products which is a ultimately a positive thing for many.

-Michael

• 07-07-2009 2:36 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Not that w haven't strayed a bit off topic...but I'll throw my 2 pence in.  ;-)

24h time is so little used in the US, except by our military, that it is referred to as "Military Time", not 24h time.  B&O are aware of this cultural difference, in fact in the owner's manual for the BeoTalk 1200 (I think, perhaps the 1100) they refer to making the change to "American Time."  It is mildly annoying that my BS-9000 won't cooperate, but I don't mind it.  

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 07-07-2009 3:48 PM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2007
    • Atlanta, USA
    • Posts 318
    • Founder

Russ:
    Not that w haven't strayed a bit off topic

Now that we've hopefully put the final nail in that coffin...

I'll probably buy the Beo time as it seems to be a pretty unique and notable product Beo-wise.  My guess is that it will either be one of the more successful Beo accessories or disappear completely.  I'm putting my money on it being an unsung hero of the products years from now (Assuming the operation isn't too difficult).

It would be nice if it can display backlit time during the night so you don't have to fumble for it.  I wonder how efficient it is battery wise?

-Michael

• 07-07-2009 4:04 PM In reply to

Michael:

It would be nice if it can display backlit time during the night so you don't have to fumble for it.  I wonder how efficient it is battery wise?

It has the potential for being rather good that way... both Beo4 and Beolink1000 have been absolutely awesome regarding battery life!

But 300 euros... I'm afraid that will cross the border of not being for me. We'll see.

-mika

• 07-07-2009 4:30 PM In reply to

I was told that Beotime will be $375.00 and is expected in late August which probably means September.  I am going to use Beotime for my Beosound 5 which does not have a alarm function like other B&O products.

It is a unique looking product.  However I never anticipated buying an alarm clock.  I have been using my iPhone as an alarm clock.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 07-07-2009 8:45 PM In reply to

• expoman
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • United States
    • Posts 222
    • Bronze Member

In response to this problem the designers of the Beocom 5 have designed a completely new clock (shown here in another thread) based on colored circles that is only available as a 12 hour clock.  A 24 hour model was not developed because it was thought to be too confusing.

• 07-15-2009 5:20 AM In reply to

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/beotime

In Slovenia, will be available in 38th Week. (14-20th september)
    I ordered one! 
    It costs 320 €

BS 1, BeoCom 2, 2x LC 2, Form 2,  BS 2, BS 3, 2x Beo 4, BS 5, BM 5, BL 5,Beo 6, BS 6, 2x A8, BV 8-40, BL 8000, 3x A9 Keyring, Serenata, BeoTime, BeoTalk 400

• 07-15-2009 6:34 AM In reply to

alenvprekrsku:

I ordered one! 
    It costs 320 €

Yes -  thumbs up

Congratulation Alen ! Smile

I was thought you will be the first one ....

I want full review when it arrived ...

when your Black Label begin to taste like juice just take shot or two of Absinthe and after that quench with some vodka, if you still feel juice like take beer with grappa !

• 07-15-2009 6:54 AM In reply to

nmartin771:

alenvprekrsku:

I ordered one! 
    It costs 320 €

Yes -  thumbs up

Congratulation Alen ! Smile

I was thought you will be the first one ....

I want full review when it arrived ...

I can not wait to get it.
    Off topic: {Kad je žur, nek i hala gori :)}

BS 1, BeoCom 2, 2x LC 2, Form 2,  BS 2, BS 3, 2x Beo 4, BS 5, BM 5, BL 5,Beo 6, BS 6, 2x A8, BV 8-40, BL 8000, 3x A9 Keyring, Serenata, BeoTime, BeoTalk 400

• 07-15-2009 7:32 AM In reply to

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

It has reached the business news here in DK: http://epn.dk/brancher/mode/article1755090.ece

br

Christian

Beosound Ouverture, Beocenter 9000, Beovision MX6000, Beocord VX7000
  • 07-28-2009 7:40 AM In reply to

• EOB
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Posts 188
    • Bronze Member

Here is the sound of the beotime

Here is a german review with its sound

• 07-28-2009 8:40 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2007
    • Atlanta, USA
    • Posts 318
    • Founder

It looks much nicer and practical "in person" than the static publicity shots.  The interface looks pretty slick considering the constraints of the displays.  It's difficult to know if it will end up being a GREAT product but someone definitely put a whole lot of work into it.  I'll get one.

-Michael

• 07-28-2009 9:19 AM In reply to

Michael:

It looks much nicer and practical "in person" than the static publicity shots.  The interface looks pretty slick considering the constraints of the displays.  It's difficult to know if it will end up being a GREAT product but someone definitely put a whole lot of work into it.  I'll get one.

I agree. Nice to see it in a live environment -looks really well finished! The sound seems to be lifted from the Serene -I use the same alarm!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 07-28-2009 11:15 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

There is a misinformation in the video because the reviewer said that it could control your light for wake up and according to the answer from Bang & Olufsen this is not possible!

But display and user interface looks well worth the money!

• 08-05-2009 8:49 AM In reply to

• EOB
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Posts 188
    • Bronze Member

TWG:

There is a misinformation in the video because the reviewer said that it could control your light for wake up and according to the answer from Bang & Olufsen this is not possible!

As I read the dutch users guide it states that you can compatible lightsources with it,.....

Also I noticed the explicit mentioning of not using chargable batteries ?  Does anyone have a clue why ? might there be hazard if you do use chargeable batteries anyway ?

• 08-05-2009 9:15 AM In reply to

EOB:

Also I noticed the explicit mentioning of not using chargable batteries ?  Does anyone have a clue why ? might there be hazard if you do use chargeable batteries anyway ?

The reasons manufacturers don't recommend rechargeable batteries are typically one or more of the following:

• they have smaller cell voltage even when fully charged, and thus usable battery life can be very short - even though there's still energy left in the cell, the voltage might have dropped below the limit the device was designed to work at
    • they discharge by themselves even when not used at all, again resulting in a short battery life for an application like this (perhaps with the added nuisance of resetting the clock)
    • they have a very large short circuit current in case something goes wrong, and may cause serious damage

And finally, a remote + alarm clock needs very little energy, and even normal batteries will probably last a long time. I simply wouldn't bother, you can buy a lot of alkaline (or even lithium) cells for the price of one set of good rechargeables.

-mika

• 08-05-2009 9:39 AM In reply to

• Roger
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 870
    • Founder

"As I read the dutch users guide it states that you can compatible lightsources with it,....."

You can access the LIGHT command and use it in the same way as the Beo4 / Beo5, but you can not set LIGHT as a timer source (as you could with the older two-way IR products from the late 80´s and early 90´s) and wake up to both audio/video and a room filled with light. 

Roger

• 08-05-2009 12:28 PM In reply to

• EOB
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Posts 188
    • Bronze Member

But then the sound unit had to be two way aswell and have a timer built in to it ,....right ?

A beolink 5000 and only a lc2 wont make it programmable as you mentioned ,..or am i mistaken?

• 08-05-2009 12:40 PM In reply to

Roger:
    ... and wake up to both audio/video and a room filled with light. 

Everyday I wake in a room filled with the better light: the sun's light Smile

Jq. BS4 BL3 A8 Form2

• 08-05-2009 1:25 PM In reply to

EOB:

But then the sound unit had to be two way aswell and have a timer built in to it ,....right ?

A beolink 5000 and only a lc2 wont make it programmable as you mentioned ,..or am i mistaken?

Indeed, you needed a compatible audiomaster, with timer. Not all 2-way audiomaster had a "light" compatible timer. My BC2500 isn't :-(

But again, that show how B&O was advanced. You could control light across rooms and schedule them, and that was years ago!

Page 5 of 5 (120 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5