in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-04-2009 4:53 AM by ChrDH. 24 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (25 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-18-2009 7:09 AM

How many Beoworlders are also Saab enthusiasts?

Since the early 1970's I've owned B&O equipment and driven Saabs. How many other Beoworlders are Saab enthusiasts? The company seems to have had the same ups and downs as B&O in many ways (but unlike B&O got taken over and lost some of it's true idiosyncratic but original design approaches.)

What does the future hold with the take-over by Koenigsegg? (40 cars per year at about £1m each!) (Incidentally, who currently provides Koenigsegg with in-car entertainment????)

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 06-18-2009 7:25 AM In reply to

• js
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-07-2007
    • Brussels
    • Posts 208
    • Silver Member

Re: How many Beoworlders are also Saab enthusiasts?

I am a great fan of the old 900 series, the true Saab (I am not keen on the later GM models however, my day-to-day car is a BMW Embarrassed).

This is my Saab 900 Turbo S Aero

• 06-18-2009 7:27 AM In reply to

• Thomas
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-25-2009
    • Salisbury
    • Posts 22
    • Bronze Member

Hi Graham

Saab is one of my favourite brands, along with B & O. In my opinion they have similar values - unique design, highly innovative and quirky (Serenata's navigation wheel & Saab's night panel button!). Recent years have been turbulent for both brands too, but i get the feeling that they're both in the process of turning things around. (so pleased Saab are finally escaping the GM era)

I've owned 2 Saabs, but the GM factor was starting to push me towards Audi - looking forward to seeing the new 9-5 which could get me excited about the brand again. That's what the BV 8 40 has done for me and B&O!

Cheers,

Thomas

• 06-18-2009 7:32 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

I ran a 9-5 for a little while about 5 years ago. It was ok.. (trying to think of something more positive to say!)

However, i do love the 900 Turbo S Covertible. Really quirky and individual, and goes like the wind too! Yes -  thumbs up

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 06-18-2009 7:49 AM In reply to

Some enthusiasm for 900's here! I ran a 96V4 for 25 years (actually became the wife's car at some point)! A little bit nose heavy compared to the 2 stroke Monte Carlo winner it replaced. Freewheel and probably the most sporty column change gearbox ever produced. As Thomas says, some querky things have since arrived like the night panel switch (and the drop-down cup holder). I've had a 96, 99 combi auto (or was that a 900?) and currently driving a 9-5 sportswagon/ estate with almost 200k on the clock. You can get just about anything into the 9-5 estate (except an Avant unless lying flat!)

Graham

• 06-18-2009 8:21 AM In reply to

Ohhh yesss!!! Still have a Saab 900S 2.0 Convertible Black with custom twin exhausts: :) with a DynAudio sound system :) Founded in Denmark in 1977 ;)

Ahh my love

• 06-18-2009 8:24 AM In reply to

I am. I've not only owned SAABs, but also worked with SAAB marketing - back in the 90s, when GM began its relentless mission of destroying the brand. We'd have meetings in Trollhättan, while the Saab fighter jets would be landing and taking off on the strip right outside the conference room ...

But don't worry, SAAB will be back, and will be very interesting!

• 06-18-2009 9:16 AM In reply to

I owned a Saab GT850 (a Saab 96 homologation special) with a souped-up 2-stroke engine with automatic oiling, better suspension, tires, seats, etc.  back in the mid 60s. Loved it, and loved the Saab engineering tradition of thinking outside the box.  I also admired Erik Carlson, who figured out how to get these cool little cars to go ridiculously fast.  

I rallied a Saab 99 in the 70s for a while, and like that car too.  

I'm hopeful that Koenigsegg (sp?) can get the marque back to that level of engineering.  

Best regards,

Dave Sausalito Audio LLC
  • 06-18-2009 9:27 AM In reply to

This is quite an interesting article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/feedarticle/8563339

Simon

• 06-18-2009 9:40 AM In reply to

1987 900S

• B&o bottle opener
  • 06-18-2009 10:06 AM In reply to

• Bart
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 128
    • Bronze Member

A great brand and it shares quite a few values with B&O !! I learned to drive in a Saab 99 and ended up a few years ago in a new 9-3, just like pictured below. Fast, luxurious and red! Alas I got an Audi A6 right now but hopefully Saab survives well and will flourish under the wings of Koeingsegg Group. Can't wait to trade the A6 in for the 9-5.

BTW Koenigsegg Group will own Saab, together with some other Norwegian investors and even GM will hold a 10% share. Koenigegg Cars is only a small part of this investment group, but what a wonderful one!! So different from the dreadful Opel-connection.

Bart

• 06-18-2009 11:15 AM In reply to

I like the pre GM Saabs for their design, overall build quality, ergonomics and individuality. On the down side I find all Saabs I've tried out rather uninspiring to drive. Must be the weight distribution and front wheel drive, I suppose. If I remember correctly they also lost a great deal of their value in the first few years, at least they did over here in Holland.

They've come up with some nice prototypes the last few years, so I hope not all is lost. I would hate to see the brand disappear.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 06-18-2009 11:46 AM In reply to

Interesting to see mention of Audis in the thread as well! -as that is what we daily drive.

Back to the 900 in my pic above -there is actually some B&o behind my ownership of the car! Laughing

Growing up, my neighbor (childhood friend) bought the car new when he graduated from college. I thought he was crazy and could never understand why he had decided on the Saab. I always considered them quirky, odd, and goofy. I drove the car and was underwhelmed. It seemed heavy and well built, but lacking in power. As we were in our early 20's, I thought he bought something that the odd professor uncle might buy. We spent a good deal of time in the car and he was happy and that is all that really counted.

Anyway, fast forward 20 years and I had just bought a MX5000 out of Manhattan. I called my friend who lived a few blocks from the MX owner and made arrangements for him to take delivery of the set. All I needed now was to get the set transported south to my locale. As we talked back and forth, he mentioned he was selling his dear old Saab. Being a sentamentalist (read: I need to get that MX down here!) I bought the Saab! He had an upcoming business trip down my way, so he loaded the MX in the rear and drove on down. I suppose it turned out to be the highest I ever paid for shipping! Laughing

The car I remembered not liking very much 20 years ago was now mine!?! I use it occasionaly as a grocery-getter and being the only manual car I currently own, it is really fun to jump in and scoot around. I have actually grown rather fond of it! It has to have one of the largest rear storage areas of any similar 3 door hatchback! It handles rather well, and has excellent feel thru the steering. I love the commanding seating position and view. The controls are a bit flimsy, but work fine. I also really like the manual roof. It gets very good MPG. I guess the only beef is the same as when it was new -not enough power, but of course that is why they had the Turbo model too! It reminds me of my other Swedish love and remarkably they look so similar...

• B&o bottle opener
  • 06-18-2009 6:29 PM In reply to

Really pleased to see such an enthusiastic bunch of Saab owning Beoworlders. 

Currently run an 1996 9000 CSE which is big, comfortable and ideal for collecting mint M100s from Scotland (in my dreams). 

Previous Saab was a series 1 900 Turbo 16S Aero which I loved dearly.  Currently looking for a late Series 1 900 Turbo 16s Aero Convertible in Dark Grey.  Same vintage as my BS 2500/LX5500/MX1500!  Stuck in the early 90s, I'm afraid.  

However at current rate of buying 70s B&O, funds may dry up soon!

Cleve

• 07-02-2009 10:18 AM In reply to

I love Saabs! I currently have a 9-5 Sportwagon as my daily driver (GM I realise!). Last summer I bought a 900 T16S Convertible as a toy and had so much fun in it!

Here is a pic:

I miss that car!

• 07-22-2009 2:47 PM In reply to

The new 9-5...

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 07-22-2009 2:54 PM In reply to

The front...

• 07-22-2009 2:59 PM In reply to

the back...

• 07-22-2009 3:15 PM In reply to

the dash...

• 07-23-2009 3:28 AM In reply to

• Ignace
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2007
    • Moderator - NL
    • Posts 2,749
    • Founder

Next to the turbo, we used to own a Saab 99 EMS

Smile

• 07-23-2009 3:35 AM In reply to

• Ignace
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2007
    • Moderator - NL
    • Posts 2,749
    • Founder

Regarding the new 9-5,
    i wonder what the central instrument is supposed to be / add;

It shows km/h, but that's what the normal round instrument also displays,
    so why the additional one in the center ?
    Perhaps it has something to do with incorporating design elements from Saab's history
    as an airplane manufacturer ?

• 07-23-2009 5:13 AM In reply to

Ignace:

Perhaps it has something to do with incorporating design elements from Saab's history 

My guess it's exactly that!

• 07-31-2009 5:38 PM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

I have a 900 S from 97. 260 000 km and it goes like a Swiss watch. I took a look at the 9-3 but the 900 will take more cargo and with two kids that is high on the list.

The 900 look so good as convertible. Maybe next one ...

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

• 08-01-2009 3:59 PM In reply to

beocool:

Ignace:

My guess it's exactly that!

Great pictures of the new 9-5 Beocool and Ignace! That speedometer looks really intriguing...... does it show the horizon??? Adjustable suspension settings for varying loads? Or just headlamp dip angle???

The more remote Saab automobile becomes from Saab aero, the more they seem to want to make the connection!

Graham

• 08-04-2009 4:53 AM In reply to

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

Ignace:

My gues is that it shows how much you are exceeding the speed limit (it has an optional camera reading speed signs I have read somewhere...) But only time will tell.

Anyway, this new über SAAB look very interesting, and with all the success Opel has with their Insignia, my bet is that this is the car that will save SAAB.

My father had a 96 v4 when I was a kid. Once it got stolen, but they didn't get very far, just 200 meters, then they concluded that driving in reverse was not their idea of a fun ride Big Smile
    best regards
    Christian
    Beosound Ouverture, Beocenter 9000, Beovision MX6000, Beocord VX7000
Page 1 of 1 (25 items)