in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-02-2009 11:01 AM by Electrified. 29 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-24-2009 5:13 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Re: iTUNES PLUS SOUNDS POOR ON BEOSOUND 5...

I've run out of juice too!

I believe and will leave it at that - as in all of these "audiophile" cases, there can be no end to the debate, the believers cannot offer enough proof to convince those that don't - the ABX double blind test format cannot prove a null result, only that there is a statistically significant difference................... those that believe there is a difference tend to disagree with the double blind ABX test format -

it has always been thus!

GoodnightSmile

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 06-24-2009 6:09 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

"Why would audiophiles, even for CD playback, pay $20,000 for a separate master clock unit?"

Because he wants to, and this proves nothing other than some people have a lot of money to spend.

I'm done, too.

Goodnight/Good Morning/Good Afternoon (depending on where you live).

Stan

• 06-24-2009 6:47 PM In reply to

Stan:

Because he wants to, and this proves nothing other than some people have a lot of money to spend.

I believe you've inadvertently offended half the B&O community Smile  How about: because they aspire to the best quality... Wink  

As a side note, I have listened to a sound system with a separate master clock unit and there is a quite noticeable improvement.

Good morning for me (down-under).

• 06-24-2009 7:06 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

dkresz:

Stan:

I believe you've inadvertently offended half the B&O community Smile  How about: because they aspire to the best quality... Wink  

I don't believe he has - price, quality and functionality are not necessarily related as some recent products have highlighted.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 12-02-2009 11:01 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Greater Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

dkresz:

puncher:

If both 1. & 2. are lossless conversions, to what do you attribute the apparent superioity of the wma lossless file?

Primarily, on a blind test - comparing the same song at the same (lossless) resolution on the BM5.  I encourage you to do the same.

Now to the speculative part: one is (mainly) Mac and the other is Windows? The codecs have diiferent encryption / decryption algorithms that are affected by the platform?  BM5, being Windows XP Embedded, may be fine-tuned for WMA and WAV playback ?  It will be interesting to re-run the same comparison test when the BM5 / BS5 software gets upgraded to officially support AAC lossless...

I have to toss my foot in here.

All that (and the rest of your posts on this subject) is emphatically wrong.

If in doubt, find an uncompressed track, say, a wave-format file. Md5 checksum it.

Convert the file to Aiff and then back to wave. Md5 checksum it.

Convert the file to ALAC (Apple Lossless) and then back to wave . Md5 Checksum it.

Convert the file to flac and then back to wave. Md5 checksum it.

Convert the file to WMA lossless and then back to wave. Md5 checksum it.

You will find that they ALL have the exact same checksum. The reason for this is, naturally, that they ALL are lossless containers, containing the exact same PCM-data.

As I said in the other thread: Any difference you hear is imaginary.

b

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2