in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-04-2009 2:59 AM by Roger. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (23 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-02-2009 8:04 AM

• tv800
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-15-2008
    • Posts 16
    • Bronze Member

BeoCenter 2 with Blueray

Hello all you masterMinds !!

One small question, as I know all answers on B&O are to be found in here :

Does anybody know, if the BC2 will come with a Blueray ?

Looking forward to the answer (hopefully a "yes")

Tommy

• 06-02-2009 8:49 AM In reply to

Re: BeoCenter 2 with Blueray

Hi Tommy:

Many of us would love to see a BeoCenter 2 replacement with BluRay, but unfortunately B&O doesn't plan to produce BluRay any disc players at all. The BV7 with BluRay is the only exception.

Best,

erg

• 06-02-2009 1:37 PM In reply to

Although it would make perfect sense in combination with the BeoVision 4/BeoVision 8... Or people who love the design of the BV7 in combination with a BeoCenter 2....

The could make a BeoCenter 2 BluRay available with without the video part.. As is the case just now. 

Anyway... I guess Struer have done the case study long ago...

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 06-02-2009 1:38 PM In reply to

Not happening. Sorry.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 06-02-2009 2:15 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

tv800:

Does anybody know, if the BC2 will come with a Blueray ?

I think this was a question that Lee asked the CEO (or someone!) recently. I think the answer was 'no, as there is no Blu-ray mechanism that will fit the design of the BC2'.

It would be ideal if they updated the BC2 with Blu-ray, so this could be connected to a BV9, BV8 or other devices. Indeed, it's almost essential!

The latest rumour was that a BC3 would happen, eventually, with a different design?

• 06-02-2009 2:39 PM In reply to

A "Beocenter 3" would be nice but I don't see any hope for a multi-disc player from B&O. After I have added my BeoLab 5s to my setup, I enjoyi audiophile SACD's on my Playstation 3. The Linn Unidisc SC is nice but lacks BluRay. See also:

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/25784.aspx

• 06-02-2009 4:19 PM In reply to

• Roger
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 870
    • Founder

"I  think this was a question that Lee asked the CEO (or someone!) recently. I think the answer was 'no, as there is no Blu-ray mechanism that will fit the design of the BC2'."

Spot on. They could not fit it.

A BeoCenter 3 has been, and may even still be, on the launch plan. It would fit nicely with products such as BeoVision 4 and 9. Or they could simply drop these televisions all together and skip a BC3 type of product...

Roger

• 06-02-2009 4:47 PM In reply to

I think if we look realistic at it, by the time they launch they would not get enough lifecycle time out of it.

I think in general disks be it Blueray or DVD are on their way out. People seem to accept an electronic copy of their content why bother picking up a disk if technology moved on within a few years anyhow ....

That they connect a "3rd party" Blueray in the BV7 MKIV through an existing HDMI port is quite clever even though it leaves a bit of an sour aftertaste .... I think this is the new CEOs vision to speed up product launches ..... I am surprised nobody picked up on that since it's kind of a "re-batching" which so many here are afraid off.

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 06-02-2009 4:55 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

jk1002:

I think in general disks be it Blueray or DVD are on their way out.

Let's not go back down that route again - there are just as many people who disagree. Blu-ray take off has exceeded expecations through late 2008, for example.

However, what B&O could or should do is look at adding HD video support to their HDMI-based BM/BS5.

• 06-02-2009 5:31 PM In reply to

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying it doesn't do well right now. But I would think a product launch like a BC3 would be 18 to 24 month out giving that up to recently the upgrade of the BC2 was rumored. Maybe longer.

Not sure how many years they would need to re-coup their investment. 

JK

• 06-02-2009 5:32 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

jk1002:

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying it doesn't do well right now. But I would think a product launch like a BC3 would be 18 to 24 month out giving that up to recently the upgrade of the BC2 was rumored. Maybe longer.

There is some truth in that, I agree. Isn't there a video version of the BS5 coming out? Something rumoured?

• 06-02-2009 6:14 PM In reply to

>>Isn't there a video version of the BS5 coming out<<

What would be the point? Unless they come up with their own version of Kaleidescape. There is to my knowledge not much legal DRM free content around.

If Apple or Amazon would offer DRM free videos ....... then yes ....... but then again, by that time the Media center PCs will hit the next stage and integrate content from all over the internet under one user interface and renting or buying movies may just be one piece of the puzzle.

I definitely think its worth for them to invest into further BS5 BM5 development since DRM is dead for music ad it opens up a market for products like it.

• 06-02-2009 8:34 PM In reply to

moxxey:

jk1002:

There is some truth in that, I agree. Isn't there a video version of the BS5 coming out? Something rumoured?

I agree that there is a case for other media { broadband, 32GB SD chips, something else equally magical [ what ever happened to IBM's caterpillar research project on new storage technologies? I remember posting about that in the old old forum :) ] } superceeding Blueray faster than Blueray overtook say DVD.

And shoe-horning a Blueray into the BC2 is probably a lot harder to do that how they accomplished the BV7-40 Mark IV change.

And I for one do have DRM and legitimate non-DRM video content that I have purchased or captured and which is not on DVD ............. probably not planned for release on Blueray

I think we will have a mixed media economy for some time { e.g. reel-tapes/LPs versus CDs in the Eighties } but nothing like the reign of CDs in the Nineties {ignoring aberrations like mini-discs }

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 06-02-2009 9:26 PM In reply to

I have been shown and have read a 10-page internal newsletter by B&O that outlines in great detail its plans and recommendation for setting up a Digital Video Server. In this newsletter B&O states "it is necessary to embrace the growing use of downloadable content which, according to predictions, will account for nearly 90% of people's media use in a year." (page 2 of the newsletter) I'm not saying that I agree with this prediction and certainly do not want to start another debate over physical media vs. downloaded content. It is, however, useful to look carefully at what B&O is saying to gain insight into what B&O's plans are and how they are thinking. B&O gives detailed instructions for the installation of their recommendation of a TVIX HD M-6500A "video client" to manage and access media stored on a QNAP NAS server. This would make it possible to access ripped video_ts files from one's DVD collection and store the entire DVD collection -- much like on Kalaidescape. B&O recommends using a wired LAN ethernet network to distribute and control high-def video throughout the home. Here's the part that i find exciting: "In the future, the video client will be built in to Bang & Olufsen TVs, which will allow to watch ripped DVDs and downloaded material without the use of an external client." (page 10) This means that future B&O TVs will be connected directly to the LAN via an ethernet port! Perhaps this is the future of video link?

• 06-02-2009 10:01 PM In reply to

Could be. Very interesting post. But then again, they miss the boat a bit in my opinion. 

If you look at the latest media center software pieces, they automatically built your library. Meaning based on Movie title they pull in trailer and reviews and DVD Cover to allow a level of content navigation that Tvix just can't offer. Tvix is reduced to a folder type navigation concept.  And besides the automatic management of content, they integrate Web-Streaming Services like Hulu, Netflix and MTV among others.

Now that they are after a quicker product development cycle, I would think they just "buy" the component that is used in Samsung Blueray players to support webstreaming and integrate that.

I would prefer if they work out integration with either a mac or windows based media center PC.  Even though Microsoft and Apple are awfully quiet, I don't expect them to give up the living room without a fight.

Rather then do it themselves, chooses a "Beoport" type approach. Look at the lifecycle of the Beomedia 1. I don't think anyone is happy about that and that just will keep happening if they try to do it on their own.

JK 

• 06-03-2009 5:43 AM In reply to

Obviously, with the latest BV7-40, with Blue-Ray, the TV comes with an Ethernet connection, so video streaming is not far..

Going back to the topic, even if BC2 doesn't come out with a new Blue-Ray drive, why on earth is B&O not fitting the socket unit with an HDMI output instead of that pre-historical SCART socket?? All BeoVisions sold today have HDMI or DVI inputs, as far as I know, and it would help people with cable management, remote control and speed the need for a digital Masterlink platform..

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 06-03-2009 6:23 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Chrisreunion:

Obviously, with the latest BV7-40, with Blue-Ray, the TV comes with an Ethernet connection, so video streaming is not far..

That's not for 'video streaming', that's for connecting up to Blu-ray live services, via your existing wired Internet connection.

• 06-03-2009 7:02 AM In reply to

I agree with what you're saying, JK. After looking at TVIX, I realized that I could do just about all of that with Boxee installed on my Apple TVs.

I see this discussion as relevant to the topic of the future of B&O's interest in Blu-Ray. B&O seem to have convinced themselves that physical media is quickly on the way out. Again, I'm not saying that I agree with them. The fact that B&O would go into such detail and enthusiasm on a 10-page document regarding video networking seems to indicate B&Os attention to this area. 

• 06-03-2009 7:54 AM In reply to

• Roger
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 870
    • Founder

The new BeoVision's will not arrive until 2011/2012 (based on the common digital platform). At the same time we can expect support for 3. party products such as Windows Home Servers, so that customers do not have to move their audio/video content to a B&O product - but will be able to stream it from a WHS to products such as the BS5/BM5.

"B&O seem to have convinced themselves that physical media is quickly on the way out. Again, I'm not saying that I agree with them." Given the lead time for B&O-products, this is a very important stand to take now. I do belive that products such as the BS5/BM5 combo should have supported products such as Windows Home Servers today.

Roger

• 06-03-2009 9:16 AM In reply to

Chrisreunion:

.... why on earth is B&O not fitting the socket unit with an HDMI output instead of that pre-historical SCART socket?? All BeoVisions sold today have HDMI or DVI inputs, as far as I know, and it would help people with cable management, remote control and speed the need for a digital Masterlink platform..

I absolutely agree on that. This alone shows how apathetic B&O became in the development of disc-playing devices. No BluRay, no HD support and no perspective. Sorry to say that...

• 06-03-2009 2:54 PM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2007
    • Atlanta, USA
    • Posts 318
    • Founder

moxxey:

Chrisreunion:

That's not for 'video streaming', that's for connecting up to Blu-ray live services, via your existing wired Internet connection.

Although you are correct Moxxey some of the new Samsung Bluray players use the ethernet port to provide On Demand movie downloads through various services via internal software in the player.  I think this is what Chris was wishful for.

-Michael

• 06-03-2009 3:11 PM In reply to

The new BeoVision's will not arrive until 2011/2012 (based on the common digital platform).

I thought that the new beovision 10 was based on this new platform?!

• 06-04-2009 2:59 AM In reply to

• Roger
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 870
    • Founder

HDMI: They would have to keep the scart for link room distribution for the time being, so I guess B&O looked at the cost of implementing the HDMI versus the improvements in picture performance and skipped it.

Roger

Page 1 of 1 (23 items)