in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-24-2009 12:48 PM by Ilikehifi. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-23-2009 4:04 PM

Beogram 8000 / Beomaster 8000 issues

Hi folks,

I have a Beogram 8000 which was working perfectly, but now does absolutely nothing when plugged in. I'm guessing the fuse is a likely candidate. Can anybody tell me where it is located?

Also have the Beogmaster 8000. Again this was working, now on power up produces sound from one channel momentarily which quickly dies out. [Same output from headphones or speakers] "Clipping" flashes on the display. Since it was working fine one day and not the next, would you suspect a capacitor finally flaking out? All original parts in this unit to my knowledge.

TIA

• 05-23-2009 4:21 PM In reply to

Re: Beogram 8000 / Beomaster 8000 issues

Both of these are very complex machines and though a fuse is possible, it is actually unfortunately likely to merely be the result of something more serious. There is little point replacing a fuse unless one knows why it has blown or it will simply do so again. Most Beomaster 8000s will have been serviced by now and this usually involves replacing a myriad of capacitors and varaible resistors. The Beogram 8000 also suffers from siimilar problems and a few choice ones all of its own. Martin (Dillen on site) can supply capacitor kits for these models but this relies on you being able to disassemble and remove and replace components. A modicum of knowledge and some test equipment is necessary or get someone else to do it for you. You do have two of the more complex devices made by B&O - and, indeed, two of the best.

• 05-24-2009 12:48 PM In reply to

Re: Beogram 8000 / Beomaster 8000 issues

Hi Peter thanks for the reply! I could be wrong, but I don't think the original owner had had the original caps etc changed when I received the system circa 2001. Of course, for any hifi equipment of this vintage, that is not an ideal situation - thus my suspicion that they may be at the heart of the problems I am experiencing. As for the fuse, I had one blow on the amp shortly after I got it, and after replacing the amp ran daily for years, so for the sake of 30 pence I figure it's worth trying.. :-) Can you tell me where it is located (might be pretty obvious I haven't looked)? Yes it is very good stuff. I'm still blown away by some of the technology involved (for 1980.. wow!!). Some of it is unique. I don't think I've ever seen another amp which fades between inputs (really nice touch), or a tuner that roams and locks onto the signal, rather than being constrained to the frequency units.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)