in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-10-2010 1:59 PM by TripEnglish. 36 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (37 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-07-2009 4:42 PM In reply to

Re: Beo 5 two-...

The sheep never got it wrong before!

• 05-07-2009 6:11 PM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

PhilLondon:

The sheep never got it wrong before!

Ah, ok, it was the first time that I recognized the name "...sheep". ;-)

Now: How to determine  Beo 5 MK 1 and MK 2?

• 05-08-2009 3:15 AM In reply to

TWG:

Now: How to determine  Beo 5 MK 1 and MK 2?

How could anyone know when we don't even know whether there is a Mk.2 or not?

Please people, try to differentiate facts from something that somebody made up after reading a fact somebody else made up after reading an alleged fact...

Coming up next: people start asking about what is the exact release date and what it will cost and how much cheaper a comparable iSomething will be, in the best Beoworld tradition... Smile

-mika

• 05-08-2009 3:19 AM In reply to

I think MK2 does not refer to the rumoured new 2 way remote, but there has been 2 versions of the Beo5 already. Not sure if the updated Beo5 was called MK2 though.

• 05-09-2009 5:45 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

PhilLondon:

I think MK2 does not refer to the rumoured new 2 way remote, but there has been 2 versions of the Beo5 already. Not sure if the updated Beo5 was called MK2 though.

Yes, I referred to the already existing Beo 5 versions!

Thanks.

• 05-09-2009 8:23 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2007
    • Atlanta, USA
    • Posts 318
    • Founder

I remember a while back there was speculation about hidden functionality in the original Beo5.  I'm sure there have been knowledgeable individuals here who have since had the opportunity to closely examine the unit's hardware.  Everyone loves a good conspiracy theory but I wonder if any of these rumors can be finally laid to rest?

-Michael

• 05-10-2009 12:36 PM In reply to

• Stones
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-01-2007
    • Oslo, Norway
    • Posts 18
    • Founder

What kind of information would we like to see on the screen of a two-way Beo5 and for what use? Is it the cover flow for N.MUSIC that is most important, or is it general feedback from audio and video sources?

When we where in Struer two years ago we learned during the dinner at the nice island that the Beo5 launched then was not two-way as none of the present TV's were two-way.

Is it possible and sufficient to make present AV-sources apparently two-way by utilizing the information sent to master link and power link soccets? I.e. source, volume, track and so on like on the Penta-displays. Then it is maybe enough to make a small power link connector that has an IR-transmitter. This can be used by every source having PL and at least some feedback will show up on Beo5.

Only an idea.

• 05-10-2009 3:38 PM In reply to

There is not a Mark II yet!, what I think you are all talking about is a recent modification to existing units as follows:-

Apparently, third party products outside the AV world have short or narrow IR-receiver range.

To resolved the issue a Beo5 hardware update which replaces one of the IR-diodes with one that matches the narrow reception angle of some systems.

The new type of IR-diode was introduced in February 2009 (from serial number 21404407)

The display unit can be replaced in existing Beo5's by purchasing and having fitted part number 8053177.

So, its not a new version, more an update of the existing version.

Regards Keith....

• 05-11-2009 6:23 AM In reply to

• Burnix
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-10-2008
    • Denmark
    • Posts 62
    • Bronze Member

I really doubt that B&O will release a Beo5 in a two-way version. They might make a Beo6 (or Beo7 etc) that looks somewhat like a Beo5 including two-way functionality, but introducing it as a Beo5... not likely. That would make too much confusion as to what a Beo5 is.

The Beo5 was never meant to be a two-way remote and the hardware do not support two-way communication (no IR or RF receiver). So there will not be any new software for the existing Beo5 making it two-way (yet another reason for making a new product with a new name instead of upgrading Beo5).

The only way the existing Beo5 is close to having two-way interface is through the USB. That would mean the the two-way is only possible while docked...

Regarding hidden functionality in the Beo5... well there are some functionality for service and reduced range (instead of the plastic limiter for Beo4). Other than that it is purely conspiracy.

However - I'm looking forward to see the next remote and its features.

Br,
    Burnix

• 05-11-2009 7:58 AM In reply to

Burnix:

I really doubt that B&O will release a Beo5 in a two-way version. They might make a Beo6 (or Beo7 etc) that looks somewhat like a Beo5 including two-way functionality, but introducing it as a Beo5... not likely. That would make too much confusion as to what a Beo5 is.

The Beo5 was never meant to be a two-way remote and the hardware do not support two-way communication (no IR or RF receiver). So there will not be any new software for the existing Beo5 making it two-way (yet another reason for making a new product with a new name instead of upgrading Beo5).

The only way the existing Beo5 is close to having two-way interface is through the USB. That would mean the the two-way is only possible while docked...

Regarding hidden functionality in the Beo5... well there are some functionality for service and reduced range (instead of the plastic limiter for Beo4). Other than that it is purely conspiracy.

However - I'm looking forward to see the next remote and its features.

Br,
    Burnix

Hello Burnix,

Agree 100% with all your comments, I can see clearly that you know perfectly well what you're talking about.

Please keep us informed if you get any scoop about this future 2 way "Beo6" remote.

Regards.

Santiago

• 08-10-2010 12:29 PM In reply to

Sooo... do the Sheep have any info about the 2-way Beo5? :-)

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 08-10-2010 1:59 PM In reply to

TWG:
    If "Trip English" posted this news I would instantly believe it! :-)

Well the sheep are much closer to the farm than I am, but I've heard about 2-way capabilities knocking around for 2 years or more. Here is a brief non-technical explanation of why 2-way has not re-emerged yet:

The old 2-way systems were IR and, despite the inclusion of link rooms, local. This was stable and confined. 

Newer systems are more global in their operation and until recently (and even now in my experience) the Wi-Fi coverage in a client's home cannot be assumed and building a solid WiFi foundation is more difficult than one would imagine. It's not unusual for that to be the single greatest difficulty in a large project where the home is large and the building materials are challenging.

Robust wireless networks are becoming more common thanks to portable devices like the iPhone and a greater reliance on laptops, and some brands like Sonos have come up with their own solutions, but needless to say a 2-way remote is much more than a 2-way remote and requires a reliable entry into wireless technology. Needless to say, the 2-way remote will not be the only thing wireless once it happens. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

Page 2 of 2 (37 items) < Previous 1 2