in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-29-2009 5:24 PM by Michael. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-25-2009 12:24 PM

• Michael
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2007
    • Atlanta, USA
    • Posts 318
    • Founder
    My wife got me this great birthday present today. With a thick beard like mine I need a lot of incentive to shave and this certainly helps. I'd assume there are probably a number of you guys that can appreciate this custom, handmade shave brush. Silvertip badger hair and horn.

-Michael

• 04-25-2009 5:30 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Re: Shaving

Well, i'm sure the badger with the bald patch and the one horned deer are delighted you're having a good shave.. Laughing

My father used to use a shaving brush, but as one of my best friends is a senior guy at L'Oreal i get fancy shaving gels by the bagful as 'samples'.  I tend to wet shave, then finish off with electric. Can't beat it!

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 04-26-2009 6:28 AM In reply to

Very nice! I mainly use an electric razor - an all singing Philips Arcitec 1090 (I think!) - worth it just for the cleaning program!

However for special occasions, I wet shave and have a badger brush and some JHL shaving soap - long since discontinued I believe! My brush is not as flash as yours though! Laughing

• 04-26-2009 4:00 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

I have never used an electronic shaver.  I have used the L'Oreal Men Expert foams, but since a month or two, I switched to Biotherm foam and after-shave-lotion. Feels very good!

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 04-26-2009 5:34 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Biotherm is L'Oreal too! Laughing

I was given a can of the shave gel a few weeks ago, and it's brilliant!

I also get Redken hair products (L'Oreal) and i got 'Mrs 9 LEE' some 'Creme de la Mer' (ridiculously priced) at a discount for Christmas.  She was delighted, but it hasn't made her look 20 years younger.. damn... Laughing

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 04-27-2009 8:14 AM In reply to

9 LEE:

i got 'Mrs 9 LEE' some 'Creme de la Mer' (ridiculously priced) at a discount for Christmas.  She was delighted, but it hasn't made her look 20 years younger.. damn... Laughing

Lee

I'm guessing she doesn't read the forum then Lee? Wink

Ray

Я люблю Банг и Oлуфсен

• 04-27-2009 12:14 PM In reply to

rayfenwick:

9 LEE:

i got 'Mrs 9 LEE' some 'Creme de la Mer' (ridiculously priced) at a discount for Christmas.  She was delighted, but it hasn't made her look 20 years younger.. damn... Laughing

Lee

I'm guessing she doesn't read the forum then Lee? Wink

He may not live  to tell us about it if she does....

• 04-29-2009 4:22 PM In reply to

I wet shave as well. Treated myself to a nice and good quality wet shave kit by Mühle last Christmas. This brush and this razor. Handles made of buffalo horn and the brush hair made of silvertip badger hair. I normally stay away from any product that requires an animal to be killed just for added luxury value, so aside from this I intend not to make a habit of buying this sort of stuff.

I used to use Gillette razors and creams but if you take the time to learn how to do a proper wet shave with good products you will find that it gives more pleasure than you would ever have deemed possible for something that is a daily 'chore' for most people.

Brands I can recommend for shaving soap and after shave balm are (respectively) 'Taylor of Old Bond Street' and 'Art of Shaving'. Pricey but good quality products with a subtle and lovely scent (try the Sandalwood products!).

• 04-29-2009 5:24 PM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2007
    • Atlanta, USA
    • Posts 318
    • Founder
    Welcome to the forum fraqture. That's a great looking set you've got. I'm NOT old school in my taste typically but shaving comes as a practical decision based on results rather than marketing and trendy scented products. I'll give Lee's Biotherm a shot as I'm game for anything that improves my shave but I absolutely love the traditional wet shave with a good ol' brush. My favorite blade, which is definitely not for beginners, is Merkur's Vision razor below. I like Taylor of Old Bond Street as well. It is what I learned on and is high quality stuff. My favorite, however, is Truefitt & Hill's Ultimate Comfort cream as it is a nice modern twist on the traditional shaving cream with healthy amounts of glycerin. I'm all for saving animals from man's appetite for luxury products but until they come up with a synthetic material that comes even remotely close to performing as well as a badger hair brush than that little varmint is going down. Either that or someone is brave enough to try and shear it.

-Michael

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)