in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-10-2009 12:06 PM by StUrrock. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-10-2009 6:56 AM

BV7 32" and Sky HD Problems HDCP

Hi all, Im becoming increasingly frustrated with my BV7 since we bought it a couple of years ago. With it being one of the early models its compatibility with HD is very limited. I installed a HD box early this year and ended up with the a HDMi converter to DVi and then audio via normal analogue ports. Since Sky updated the menu system the other week, I keep getting an annoying message up when I select any channel saying "this display does not support HDCP" also the point where I cant actually watch any Box Office Films.

I actually spoke to the tech desk at Sky and to my suprise the chap I spoke to was very helpful and knowledgeable on B&O issues. He advised me to bin the HDMi to Dvi adaptor (which is made by Pure) and buy a Component Cable, as my box is a Thomson HD box which supports Component. The message he said was possibly coming from interference with the HDMi DVi converter.

But isnt component analogue? surely the picture quality wouldnt be as good as HDMi to DVi?

Are there any software updates that might cure this problem before I go and buy a component cable? and if there are updates is it going to cost me another fortune for B&O to install the updates?

Thanks Regards
    Dan

• 04-10-2009 7:41 AM In reply to

Re: BV7 32" and Sky HD Problems HDCP

Hi Dan,

Having hooked up a number of HD boxes and Apple TV's using component, I can safely say that on the 32" screen you wouldn't notice any difference.  HDMI is generally tolerated by installers as it is the method pushed by the movie houses and those concerned with their copywrite, which is OK I suppose, but it is actually a bit of a minefield when it comes to standards and qualitiy.  Component is what it is, and will always be, and a number of installers I know tend to install both so that in the future, should the HDMI cable used in the first instance not be up to the job following ANOTHER change to the spec of HDMI, they can fall back on the component cables with no problems.

Might be worth checking the system settings on the Sky box following its update as this may have changed something.

Good luck.

• 04-10-2009 12:06 PM In reply to

• StUrrock
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2008
    • Cambridgeshire
    • Posts 219
    • Bronze Member

Re: BV7 32" and Sky HD Problems HDCP

Hi Thunderstarter,

Just a word of advice if your set is still under guarentee make sure that the error message "this display does not support HDCP" is not the fault of the HD board in the TV or the software. I have sometimes found this to be an issue also the cheap nasty HDMI leads that come with the Sky Boxes have been known to cause problems.

Regards

StUrrock

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)