in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-31-2009 8:06 PM by rayfenwick. 68 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (69 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-28-2009 8:33 AM

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Earth hour

Hey everybody don't forget to switch your lights off for earth hour tonight, we've just had it here in this hemisphere :)

8:30 pm - 9:30 pm

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 03-28-2009 10:06 AM In reply to

Re: Earth hour

??????

Regards Graham

• 03-28-2009 1:15 PM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

You are supposed to switch your lights off (Just lights) from 20:30 for an hour. Everyone around the world is supposed to do it. Its as an effort to save the enviroment. Surely they have advertised it in the UK, been on the news here!

Durban South Africa

• 03-28-2009 1:57 PM In reply to

Never heard of it and I watch most of the news programs.

Regards Graham

• 03-28-2009 2:02 PM In reply to

Should I also switch off my headlights? Big Smile

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 03-28-2009 2:32 PM In reply to

Lol you sure you never heard of it??

It's on front page of bbc world news! http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/7969515.stm

It's apparently taking place in 88 countries at 20:30 in each country's own time zone

• 03-28-2009 2:44 PM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

We started about 15min ago...quite fun sitting in the dark lol!! Makes a change

Durban South Africa

• 03-28-2009 3:38 PM In reply to

• Dking63
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-09-2008
    • York, PA USA
    • Posts 27
    • Gold Member

Sorry to disapoint but I had all my kids go around the house and turn every light on we had, cranked every B&O piece we have ON and then we all got in the 9 man spa we own and like Fred Flinstone "had a gay old time"........... In fact our whole neighborhood was lit up like a Christmas tree. This stuff is funnnnnny! Can not wait til next year.

Dave

• 03-28-2009 3:53 PM In reply to

Dking63:

Sorry to disapoint but I had all my kids go around the house and turn every light on we had, cranked every B&O piece we have ON and then we all got in the 9 man spa we own and like Fred Flinstone "had a gay old time"........... In fact our whole neighborhood was lit up like a Christmas tree. This stuff is funnnnnny! Can not wait til next year.

Dave

Err, I take it you don't believe the world has a climate change problem then??

Or perhaps you don't think individuals can make any difference?

Or is this a joke??

• 03-28-2009 4:06 PM In reply to

Assuming you're serious and not taking the pi$$, then you're a complete bell-end. I hope the seas engulf your part of the world first, rather than in some of the countries where we have representatives that will genuinely be in the front line of climate change. Ask some of the Aussie members about the water rationing and record temperatures they've been contending with this summer, or those in the Low Countries that will be under water in a couple of generation's time.

What a tw@tish post.

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 03-28-2009 4:27 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Hi John,

although I agree with your sentiments (assuming the post concerned is NOT intended as a joke) I would urge you to please not use profanities however well disguised they are. This is not really in the spirit of an otherwise very friendly forum and I'm hopeful that the other Beoworld member concerned will affirm that the post was indeed a tongue in cheek remark. Politics is a highly charged subject which can inadvertently cause offence where none was intended.Smile

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 03-28-2009 4:29 PM In reply to

• Dking63
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-09-2008
    • York, PA USA
    • Posts 27
    • Gold Member

Appreciate your reply, we are all brother and sister enthusiasts here. No, no joke. I really believe we all have a responsibility to care for our climate/environment and I'm all for responsible production methods and such but we must live. And live in an climate/environment that has been changing for many thousands of years and will continue to change. Creating this doomsday hystaria I do not think is productive. B&O uses some vary toxic production methods and or componentry to deliver the products they do to us, they also incorperated some reduced impact production methods in their manufacturing and this is good. But I'm no going to do without my B&O. All I'm saying is beware the hysterical religion surrounding this topic, you really think there are not forces working who reduce peoples liberties, tax them beyound belief and  stand to capitalize a great deal on this? Hey, to each his own but let's be real.

luv ya man,

Dave

• 03-28-2009 4:41 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

My take on this touchy subject is that EVERYONE is responsible for trying to reduce wastage in any form they can and climate change cannot be blamed solely on government policy altough governments could so easily make wholesale changes at a far faster pace to combat this. As you say Dave - each to their own and as a democratic minded individual I would defend your right to your opinion.

@John - you have a PM/conversation.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 03-28-2009 4:48 PM In reply to

beodude:

It's on front page of bbc world news! http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/7969515.stm

It's apparently taking place in 88 countries at 20:30 in each country's own time zone

Here is THE BBC News Front Page. Where is your "earth hour" then

http://news.bbc.co.uk/

Did the Chinese shut all of their industry and power stations down for an hour then? Or maybe they switched all the lights off in Bejing?

Don't make me laugh!!

Regards Graham

• 03-28-2009 4:50 PM In reply to

• Dking63
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-09-2008
    • York, PA USA
    • Posts 27
    • Gold Member

Appreciate the freedom of speech, I really mean not harm and I AGAIN teach my children to be RESPONABLE. And your point is well taken about the government, here in the US the Gov. wants to tell everyone else what to do but they themselve had an opportunity to mandate all government vehicles use LP gas and they did NOT. Keeping things focused and not so touchy, I love reading about companies that use enviromentally sound techniques for production, I think B&O had an article not to long ago about the aluminum processes they use for just about every product made..... I'm all for it.

Dave

• 03-28-2009 5:01 PM In reply to

I'm not taking any sides here, but I didn't turn off my lights. 

More important things to do in this world than feeling good turning the lights off for an hour. 

If Australia has been warm, then Finland has been pretty damn cold I'll tell you. 

Just as an example, summer tires are allowed from 1st of march. Must be worn before april 1st according to Finnish law. (If the weather permits)

Now with -15 degrees celsius during nights and 3-5cm of new snow during days I can't see summer tires on my car anytime soon.

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 03-28-2009 5:35 PM In reply to

• Xseries
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Hampshire
    • Posts 433
    • Bronze Member

I realise that everyone will have a different take on this but I have just looked on the BBC (Biased Broadcasting Corporation) web site at an Antipodean group that switched off their lights  - but lit candles instead!!???  What benefit does that have for the environment?  THe energy in distributing and making candles and matches will be greater than the distribution of power!

Pet Hates - Carbon Footprint - is someone referring to carbon dioxide or is this indeed an archaelogocial relic to match a dinosaur footprint. 

Forgive me also for thinking that the earth has warmed and cooled over the past millenia - oh and will do so again particluraly when the sun runs out of nuclear fuel (ie hydrogen)! 

The REAL issue is actually over population - mankind would not be endangered if the population were 1% of the present level and THEN the carbon dioxide emissions would be reduced., resources last much longer and deforestation not be so rampant. 

Back to B&O - this thread will start to be a re-run of the debate over standby!

Brian

• 03-28-2009 5:37 PM In reply to

Flat earthers and pseudo-scientists aside, I must apologise for the 'directness' of my language. On a family forum such as this there is no place for name calling, and I'm sure that Dave is of good character and strong moral fibre. We can agree to differ on the issue of climate change I'm sure. For any offence caused, I offer my humblest apologies.

I'm off to box up my Beosystem 6000 now and try to come to terms with the massive carbon footprint I shall no doubt create when we move down to Sheffield on Thursday. Hopefully mother Earth will find it in her heart to forgive me in due course.

Good night and god bless.

John

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 03-28-2009 5:42 PM In reply to

preface: no joking here. apparently, i am ahead of the curve -though i have never heard of "earth hour." i hate manmade light -prefer natural. i actually never have lights on much past 8:00pm ...usually in bed (of course, not if we are entertaining) the only exception is a small night light in the kitchen... that i will turn off tonight!
    • B&o bottle opener
  • 03-28-2009 5:43 PM In reply to

• Xseries
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Hampshire
    • Posts 433
    • Bronze Member

I will watch out for a Carbon footprint - but as yet have never actually seen one (see pet hates on the earlier message!).  Surely you will have to walk to leave a footprint Carbon or anyother!  Perhaps you mean that you will leave a caron dioxide and/or monoxide trail.

Brian

• 03-28-2009 6:09 PM In reply to

joeyboygolf:

beodude:

Here is THE BBC News Front Page. Where is your "earth hour" then

http://news.bbc.co.uk/

Did the Chinese shut all of their industry and power stations down for an hour then? Or maybe they switched all the lights off in Bejing?

Don't make me laugh!!

Well, apparently they did!!!! And all lit candles instead!!!!!! It beggars belief!!!

Regards Graham

• 03-28-2009 6:12 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Dking63:

Dave

Ugh, never mind.

• 03-28-2009 6:24 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Xseries:

I realise that everyone will have a different take on this but I have just looked on the BBC (Biased Broadcasting Corporation) web site at an Antipodean group that switched off their lights  - but lit candles instead!!???  What benefit does that have for the environment?  THe energy in distributing and making candles and matches will be greater than the distribution of power!

Pet Hates - Carbon Footprint - is someone referring to carbon dioxide or is this indeed an archaelogocial relic to match a dinosaur footprint. 

Forgive me also for thinking that the earth has warmed and cooled over the past millenia - oh and will do so again particluraly when the sun runs out of nuclear fuel (ie hydrogen)! 

The REAL issue is actually over population - mankind would not be endangered if the population were 1% of the present level and THEN the carbon dioxide emissions would be reduced., resources last much longer and deforestation not be so rampant. 

Back to B&O - this thread will start to be a re-run of the debate over standby!

Brian

Turning off the lights is simply about awareness.

Just us all being aware that our world is very precious and, so far, running on limited resourses - will make a diffeence and will help us work toward different methods of living, so that we can be sustainable - it's all about our consiousness.  not everything is so complicated fellas  Yes -  thumbs up

John i appreciate your sentiments, offensive or not, glad to see someonelse is aware.

• 03-28-2009 6:44 PM In reply to

• Henri
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-15-2009
    • Posts 66
    • Gold Member

Dking63:
    Appreciate the freedom of speech, I really mean not harm and I AGAIN teach my children to be RESPONABLE.

I shouldn't really participate in this kind of conversations, but here we go anyway...

Saving energy is a good thing, but I'm slightly tired of hearing all these scientific conversations about climate change and whether or not human activity is even capable of affecting climate in long-term, global scale - they always follow exactly the same pattern: in the end, when everything is said and done, the people who promote the human effect point of view end up admitting that there's no proof, but we should radically cut CO2 emissions "just in case". Personally, coming from a scientific background, I need proof before I believe any of this. The cyclic nature of climate more than explains everything we're experiencing at the moment and, oddly enough, the majority of global warming prophets are the very same people who made careers of preaching about the new ice age back in 70's and 80's. It wasn't quite as profitable back then, though.

Of course I don't mind if someone else wants to play along and feel him-/herself a better person doing so. Religions are popular all around the world, too. Until there's hard, concrete, undisputable proof, count me out - no evidence, no case.

My .02c...

• 03-28-2009 6:44 PM In reply to

Demonstrating awareness won't overcome the problems of climate change - in fact, awareness initatives risk encouraging people to take decisions that SEEM to be beneficial but in reality are not.

Example. It seems sensible to buy locally produced items in your supermarket rather than items from overseas. There may be many sound social reasons for doing that, but supermarket distribution chains are highly efficient so the energy used to place, say, one kilo of potatoes on the shelf using their hub-and-spoke distribution networks may be much less than a local farmer using his truck to deliver locally.

And what if the local product is industrially grown? Growing tomatoes naturally in north Africa and air freighting then to European retail outlets may use less energy than the same grown in heated greenhouse in northern Europe.

Awareness is no substitute for understanding. Many of those taking part in Earth Hour will actually believe that by turning off their lights for an hour they have "done their bit" and will then carry on burning fossil foel regardless.

Better, surely, to make a small change everyday than to make a gesture once a year.

Page 1 of 3 (69 items) 1 2 3 Next >