in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-13-2010 8:08 PM by elephant. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-17-2009 4:41 PM

New Mac Mini connected to BeoSystem 3 through BeoLink

Hi All,

I bought the new mac mini and connected this to my BeoSystem3 and using it as a media server. This works fine in my main room. But I also want to view media content in link rooms through the BeoLink system. The problem is that the BeoSystem3 doesn't distribute digital content through the link system. So I need an analog feed from my mac mini as well. I've tried the mini-dvi to video adapter, but that doesn't work. The new Mac Mini doesn't support s-video output. My next guess is to use the mini-dvi to VGA adapter and connect that to the VGA port on my BeoSystem3.

My question is now if the BeoSystem3 will be able to distribute the VGA feed through the link system?

All other suggestions to get the mac mini content distributed is welcome.

Bye,

Mark

• 03-18-2009 10:41 AM In reply to

Re: New Mac Mini connected to BeoSystem 3 through BeoLink

Following the discussions here, I think the VGA adapter is the next logical step. I don't know though how good the quality will be when you run this through the AV link cable. I might consider a different approach, I would take a look at Apple TVs that sync wirelessly with Itunes on your mini mac. Or I would manage my content on a network shared drive and access it through a hacked apple tv which is essentially what I am doing right now.

Cheers

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 01-13-2010 12:23 PM In reply to

Hi Mark

I have exactly your same setting and your same problem:

- Beosystem 3

- Mac mini connected to the Beosystem 3 through hdmi (with the mini-display port to dvi adapter); and wanted to connect it to an analog connection to access it through the link system - had no read this post and bougth the mini-dvi to video adapter, but, as you say, does not work (do you know why?).

Were you finally able to solve the problem? Any suggeestions? It'd be great to have the mac mini linked to other tvs....

Many thanks

Luis

• 01-13-2010 8:08 PM In reply to

herbold:
    My next guess is to use the mini-dvi to VGA adapter and connect that to the VGA port on my BeoSystem3.

I believe the mini-DVI to VGA will not work with the most modern MacBooks (sorry I don't know about the various MacMini generations) because the VGA is also essentially analogue.

There are black boxes to take the mini-DVI and covert that to VGA -- but to my tastes they are expensive.  I believe you will find them discussed on threads back when Apple made this move to "simplify" production costs by dropping analogue processing.

I like the concept of distributed Apple TVs, and have been only recently (last 48 hours!) started wondering whether to use that approach for myself. 

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)