in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-15-2009 9:50 PM by rayfenwick. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-14-2009 1:10 AM

• ducha
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 01-04-2008
    • Wisconsin, US
    • Posts 77
    • Bronze Member

Penta display dimmer

Hi everyone,

I finally got to try out my newly acquired Penta II's for the first time now that I'm home for Spring Break. They sound fantastic connected to my Beosystem 6500! The Pentas' display readouts work properly but I can't seem to get them to dim with all lights turned off. They had been in storage for 6+ years prior to my purchasing them. Could this have anything to do with the dimmers not responding?

Thanks,

Aaron  

• 03-14-2009 1:31 AM In reply to

Re: Penta display dimmer

Hi,

Is there such a feature such as a display dimmer in the pentas? Which version is that, mk 1, 2 or 3? I have the mk2 but do not recall having such built-in feature.

Regards

• 03-14-2009 1:59 AM In reply to

• Xseries
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Hampshire
    • Posts 433
    • Bronze Member

I am not aware that the displays on the Pentas have a dimming facility - it might have been an interesting feature though!

Brian

• 03-14-2009 6:35 AM In reply to

I have a pair of Beolab 3000 with the same display as the Penta II and they have automatic dimming. If i hold my hand in front of the sensor, the display reacts. If the Penta's also have this option i don't know.

• 03-14-2009 9:04 AM In reply to

• ducha
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 01-04-2008
    • Wisconsin, US
    • Posts 77
    • Bronze Member

Hmmm...

According to beocentral, the Penta II's were fitted with display dimmers. Does anyone have a pair of Penta II's with dimming displays, or is beocentral incorrect in it's description?

Aaron

• 03-14-2009 6:06 PM In reply to

• Xseries
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Hampshire
    • Posts 433
    • Bronze Member

There is nothing in the Owner's manual for the Penta II or Penta III about the availability of a dimmming facility.  It's possible that the dimming feature is not covered in the manual, but I would have though it's unlikley.  I can't see anything in the electrical circuit (see PCB11) either (though I could be missing something there!) so perhaps its description is indeed incorrect.  Perhaps it's meant to be for one of the other contemporary systems?

Brian

• 03-14-2009 7:47 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

I just took off the display cover on my Penta 3s and can confirm there is not a light sensor in there.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 03-14-2009 11:57 PM In reply to

• ducha
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 01-04-2008
    • Wisconsin, US
    • Posts 77
    • Bronze Member

This is somewhat bittersweet. I'm a little dissapointed that my Penta II's don't have the dimming capabilitySad, but on the other hand, it's good to know that my speakers aren't malfunctioning!Smile I do find it interesting that the Beolab 3000s, which were introduced a year earlier than Penta II's, would have display dimmers.

Thanks all for checking,

Aaron

• 03-15-2009 9:50 PM In reply to

It should be possible with a CdS cell and a couple of other bits... maybe the places are already on the board?

If not, it shouldn't be too hard - I've done a few similar things in the past.  Make it neat and reversible, for originality's sake Geeked

Ray

Я люблю Банг и Oлуфсен

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)