in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-29-2007 4:36 AM by wirralsimon. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-27-2007 3:43 PM

Best way to clean Beogram 1902

I have just bought a Beogram 1902 via Ebay.

When it arrived it was not working at all due to what turned out to be a perished drive belt. I have swapped it for the drive belt from a defunct  BeoCenter 2000 and it is now working and sounds excellent.

The problem is that there still appears to be some slippage, as the platter takes some time to get going and scarcely turns at all when the turn button is pressed. I have noticed that the brass spindle has black deposits on it (presumably from the old belt) and I presume I should remove them. Can anyone recommend what I should use, should it be some kind of solvent or should I use something like fine emery paper?

I think the long term solution should include  a new  belt. Can anyone suggest a UK source, or should I PM Martin?

Thanks in anticipation

Simon 

• 05-27-2007 4:20 PM In reply to

Re: Best way to clean Beogram 1902

I'd use Martin! You will get the correct one and he is probably cheaper! He will no doubt advise about cleaning. I would tend to use a little alcohol first.
  • 05-28-2007 2:46 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

A little isopropyl alcohol (tapehead cleaner or caburettor alcohol, it's all the same) will remove any dirt and remains from the old belt.
    Sadly, I currently have no belts for this model.

Martin

• 05-28-2007 5:30 PM In reply to

Looking at the service manuals, the belt is the same part number as that used in  the Beogram 2200 which is listed by a number of suppliers! Here is one!
  • 05-29-2007 4:36 AM In reply to

Thanks gents, I think I'll pop out at lunchtime for some tape head cleaner.

I have also just pulled the trigger on Craig's Beogram 2200 for 99p (see the for sale section) so I should end up with at least one working turntable and hopefully two once I have ordered another belt.

Simon

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)