in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-17-2009 7:31 PM by beomud. 68 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (69 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-12-2009 12:38 PM

Off topic:>What to choose - New wooded floor, light or dark?

Hi Guys

We are so lucky that the insurance will pay for a new floor in our great big room, because of the rebuild of the unstable structure.

The work is almost done here in January and mid February, and we are getting close to buying the new floor. But I was thinking about going for the dark wooded floor like Merbau, Smoked Oak, Wenge etc. instead of the typical choice here in DK like the light Oak, Ash etc.

I know that the light wooded floor will make the room look bigger and the dark make the room smaller, but I have an idea about that the dark floor sometimes can look more exclusive if you know what I mean. Of course I know that this is a personal choice in the end, but sometimes I get stuck and it helps with others opinion.

Today it's a light floor, not as light as the Ash and Oak white floor but the pictures might give you an idea. (Sorry the colors look odd on some of the pictures) but the floor is much lighter than it shows on the pictures

We are still missing a lot of furniture’s like coffee table, bookshelves, carpet under the sofa and some paintings :) but decided to wait to after the rebuild.

Come on guys give me your thoughts regardless it's good or bad :) it will be highly appreciated

Regards Anders

• 02-12-2009 12:43 PM In reply to

Re: Off topic:>What to choose - New wooded floor, light or dark?

More pictures.

Is it only possible to add one picture in each topic?

Regards Anders

• 02-12-2009 12:44 PM In reply to

dark...

i think it will help anchor the room -a beautiful room, BTW!

your bl8000 / bl5 will appear to emerge from the floor and the cables will not be as obvious.

i wouldn't worry about it making the room look small -the arched windows seem to counter this!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 02-12-2009 12:45 PM In reply to

more

Regards Anders

• 02-12-2009 12:48 PM In reply to

burantek:

dark...

i think it will help anchor the room -a beautiful room, BTW!

you bl8000 / bl5 will appear to emerge from the floor and the cables will not be as obvious.

i wouldn't worry about it making the room look small -the arched windows seem to counter this!

Thanks, thats was fast reply :o)

The plan was to hide the cables in the floor/walls so that should fix that problem

Regards Anders

• 02-12-2009 1:09 PM In reply to

I have said it before , but that is a stunning room. I agree with the dark floor - the walls are so light that a bit of contrast would be good and it is not as though you need to lighten the room. Maybe a bigger screen though!

• 02-12-2009 1:21 PM In reply to

Thanks

I'm close to buy a BV5 so a little bigger screen is maybe soon next to the BL5

This could be the color and the size of the plank

or this

These colors might be to dark:

Regards Anders

• 02-12-2009 2:16 PM In reply to

ThePriest:

That is the one I like - looks like rosewood!

• 02-12-2009 3:14 PM In reply to

Peter :

ThePriest:

That is the one I like - looks like rosewood!

That's exactly the kind of floor I have in my place.
    Just like yours it's an open lofty space with white walls. (though smaller and with less B&O Sad .)

I can fully recommend it because it give a nice warm glow. Mine is oiled instead of lacquered, making it somewhat darker and less glossy.

One point to keep in mind is that because of the deep colour of the floor the whole place will have an ever so slight redish tone to it.

Regards,

O.

• 02-12-2009 3:17 PM In reply to

i like #4 (w/ the 2 potted plants) darkest one, but i think it would be a real knock out in that room!

maybe do a little photoshopping!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 02-12-2009 4:10 PM In reply to

• JC
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Yorkshire / UK
    • Posts 621
    • Founder

We have American walnut in various plank widths and white walls. really has not made the room seem any smaller at all. I have inserted some LED white uplighters into the floor to give an exta dimension to it.

Also used the walnut as a low skirting board to define its edges to the walls.

Jonnie

• 02-12-2009 4:18 PM In reply to

Here's a two minute Photoshop on one of the images (sorry, I screwed up the selection a little...).

I kinda like it dark!

-mika

• 02-12-2009 4:35 PM In reply to

Thanks Guys

It helps with some feedback.

Thanks for the quick photoshop, it give it somehow an idea, it's strange to see it darker than before :) I like it,we will go for a look tomorrow and see some sample package in different colors

Regards Anders

• 02-12-2009 4:35 PM In reply to

oh mika! good deal!

do the dark! do the dark! do the dark! Big Smile

• B&o bottle opener
  • 02-12-2009 4:56 PM In reply to

burantek:

oh mika! good deal!

do the dark! do the dark! do the dark! Big Smile

Dude ahh I mean Luke I'm your father, come on join the dark side Big Smile

sorry to much Whisky

Regards Anders

• 02-12-2009 6:52 PM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

#1 or the last one for me... #3 would just be UGLY...

By the way ThePriest : you are THE FAMOUS MAN WHO LIVES IN A B&O CATALOGUE!! Congrats!! I always thought those Bl8000 without wire where not of this world. Do you live on Earth or on a special planet where the B&O stuff has become wireless ?(ok, still not the digital BL5...) Wink

• 02-12-2009 7:05 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Anders, I'm with Peter on both counts.
    The room is absolutely gorgeous!

#1 for me too.  The similarity to Rosewood gives it a warm feeling.
    #3 is awful, far to busy and would look worse when spinning, due to too much Whisky!
    Similarly #5, though to a lesser extent.
    It will be interesting to see what you chose.
    Avant looks great framed in the large arch too.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 02-13-2009 1:21 AM In reply to

Hi Anders,

What a beautiful space, love the windows and the vaulted ceiling and volume. Must be just wonderful on a quiet, sunny afternoon. And i bet those BL 5 sound great in there!

I'm with the others, dark will look great, and as the others have also noted it will ground the space and add some nice, rich contrast. Yes a darfer tone will give it a more exclusive feel, light timbers always give a more casual feel. I would lean towards #4 and #6, which have a more 'brown' base, but thats more of my personal preference. I don't think you need to worry about being too dark, you seem to get lots of natural daylight, and it won't necessarily make the space feel smaller as dark colours tend to recede.

Maybe you can get some samples of each timber on loan from the supplier your using to see the actual timber colours in your room as the light conditions (caused by facing, amount of light etc) will affect how the final product looks.

No matter what you decide tho, I think it will look good, this is because you have a great room in terms of its architecture.

Laurence.

• 02-13-2009 4:28 AM In reply to

Thanks Guys

I will go now to have a look at the samples :)

mbee:

#1 or the last one for me... #3 would just be UGLY...

By the way ThePriest : you are THE FAMOUS MAN WHO LIVES IN A B&O CATALOGUE!! Congrats!! I always thought those Bl8000 without wire where not of this world. Do you live on Earth or on a special planet where the B&O stuff has become wireless ?(ok, still not the digital BL5...) Wink

Yeah..! it's a option you can have here in DK Stick out tongue hope to get this cable stuff fixed this time, if it isn't possible then I might seaching for the BL3 , and hang ir on the wall. 

soundchoice70:

Hi Anders,

What a beautiful space, love the windows and the vaulted ceiling and volume. Must be just wonderful on a quiet, sunny afternoon. And i bet those BL 5 sound great in there!

I'm with the others, dark will look great, and as the others have also noted it will ground the space and add some nice, rich contrast. Yes a darfer tone will give it a more exclusive feel, light timbers always give a more casual feel. I would lean towards #4 and #6, which have a more 'brown' base, but thats more of my personal preference. I don't think you need to worry about being too dark, you seem to get lots of natural daylight, and it won't necessarily make the space feel smaller as dark colours tend to recede.

Maybe you can get some samples of each timber on loan from the supplier your using to see the actual timber colours in your room as the light conditions (caused by facing, amount of light etc) will affect how the final product looks.

No matter what you decide tho, I think it will look good, this is because you have a great room in terms of its architecture.

Laurence. 

I know there will be much more daylight in there, when the top centre window is finish, maybe in March :)

Regards Anders

• 02-13-2009 12:59 PM In reply to

I love your room and the way you have set-up your furnishures and B&O equipement.

I would go for a dark wooden floor :

Guy

--= "Everything gets done with Patience" =-- --= "Less is More" - Mies Van der Rohe"

--= BV10 46", BL8K, BL4K, BL2, BS Ouverture, BC6000 (Mk3), BT1100, Beo4 , A8 and ...the Atomic Floyd "Airjax+Mic" earphones =--

• 02-15-2009 4:35 PM In reply to

Sorry guys that I haven't made a reply to this floor issue.

We got some samples friday and yesterday, and we have decided to go for the dark floor, but haven't found out how dark or what type of wood we will go for yet. And a new issue popped up yesterday when we saw the different types of floors, my wife would like to have the laminate types, because the surface is very hard and no maintain afterwards, like you have with a real wooded floor, but I don't know, I'm maybe more to the real wooded floor with a lacquer surface Unsure

In the meantime I have now pulled down the entire gypsum ceiling in the living room, the purpose for this is to make the ceiling like it was original, nice bended in the side and flat at the top, or we will use "troldtekt" panels, sorry don't know the English word for it maybe woodcrete would be the right word for it, but these panels are very good for acoustics in room with extra height to the ceilings. but it will give it a total new look. We can buy them finish in white so no extra work afterwards with filler and painting. I know what I would choose, if its only was the look, but with the BL5 I might better choose the acoustics solution

http://erhverv.lhammerich.dk/sw325.asp

http://erhverv.lhammerich.dk/sw327.asp

The attached pictures is with the panels in nature color

Regards Anders

• 02-15-2009 4:51 PM In reply to

can't comment on the ceiling, but with a gorgeous, "historical" looking room like that...

i would go for the real wood, and not worry about upkeep. you clearly keep it neat and clean. i think you would regret not going for the real...

i am actually looking into a similar project and i think that distressed woods would be fantastic in you room.

beautiful place, and as mentioned earlier -you are living in a b&o catalog!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 02-17-2009 10:31 AM In reply to

Good choice on the dark wood.

I am not a great believer in laminate. You have a big surface to cover and you have loads of natural light. It tends to make laminate look overly 'artificial'. Do not forget that maintenance is basically the same for a properly installed wood floor and a laminate floor.

Experience learned me that a real wooden floor is worth the extra investment as it will look a lot better and will last longer as it can be sanded and refinished and hold its value if you ever want to resell your place.

I do understand what you are trying to accomplish with the ceiling.... however I would just go with white panels again myself....   

Regards,

O.

• 02-17-2009 1:38 PM In reply to

Hi Anders,

I too am certainly for a darker wood to add contrast to the stunning white walls, however I have never liked the very dark woods as I begin to feel I'm in a bar rather than a home - just a personal opinion, but the samples that have been praised in this thread is what I would go for too.

What a beautiful room you have and I remember very well the excitement of your pre-BL5 decision.

Yes -  thumbs up Cool

• 02-21-2009 10:50 AM In reply to

Do not get a laminate floor! As you say, it is hard which makes it more scratch resistant, but it is therefore also noisy - and I don't like the sound. In addition, laminate is usually very slippery and always feels cold.

And when it finally does get scratched, I don't think you can sand it. Good quality real wood floor can be sanded and relacquered for up to three times (unless there are very deep scratches / dents you want to get completely rid of).

Large floors like this may be easier to get right with laminate, but I presume you have professionals taking care of the work anyway.

-mika

Page 1 of 3 (69 items) 1 2 3 Next >