in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-24-2009 3:18 PM by Puncher. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (22 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-04-2009 5:23 PM

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

wishing i had MOTS

hello all

i have been thinking about a BM5 for some time until i found out the tv interface is not the same as beomedia at present and i cannot use folder view and etc etc

i was playing with my beomedia 1 tonight and listening to some chillout music and noticed that it had random on / off so i thought oh ill try that might be nice to help with getting some old songs i have on here, (not MOTS but next best thing)

Did not work i went from Gerorge Michael to clubland 10 and nearly had a heart attack.

I wish it were possible to but a PCI masterlink card and MOTS software but its not shame.

Beovision 7 MKIV (Blu Ray)
    Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

• 02-04-2009 6:36 PM In reply to

Re: wishing i had MOTS

MOTS = More Of The Sameshit No - thumbs down

The BS/ BM-5 is a pice of crap from B&O. Proberly the worst audio they ever createt except from the design.

• 02-04-2009 6:54 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

I'm not sure why I want it (or if I want it). When I listen to my favourite album do I want all songs to sound the same - of course not! When I'm listening in the house all by myself do I want to listen to songs that are in a similar vain - I hope not. Do I want to dance all day (maybe sometimes) do I want to feel sad all day (probably not). Should the feature be selectable - absolutely, how often would you use it - debatable.

What do I want to hear after "Hang on to Yourself".............. "Ziggy Stardust" of course!............ nothing else will do. Unless you're not really listening, in which case does it really matter what's next?

A technically clever feat but is it for me? ................... if someone buys me a BS5/BM5 combo I'll give an unbiased report later.

I may be slightly cynical but is any early adopter going to dis' the B&O features of the BS/BM5 - I doubt it.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 02-04-2009 8:29 PM In reply to

I think people are looking into this in a too absolutists point of view.

MOT’s is a useful feature but it is not the be-all and end-all of the product. I like to listen to an albums cover to cover. I like albums to be listed as albums in a digital medium. I want a virtual CD and I’m not interested in downloading one or two songs from an album and mixing them in to an unambiguous list of meaningless songs. I like wart’s ‘n’ all – not just the highlights. However, in doing so, means I tend to listen to either my current favourite album(s) or go “ooh, err…I think I’ll listen to that now…or that now”

What MOTs does is cleverly (and I was originally cynical) is match up a whole heap of tracks which did have a reasonable similarity. They are disperse in their nature and I think it does allow you to listen to more of your record collection as intended. There were also one or two tracks where I thought it was pushing it a little too far. But hey, it does work.

After 10 to 15 songs, like any other album or time period, I would say enough of that and now for something completely different. It’s a choice. You can choose to use it or not.

Another little annoyance, but then the credence of garbage in and garbage out is comes to mind is that it will MOT Christmas songs in February and doesn’t know how many shopping days are left, nor when Harrods turn on the lights! Send it back now and get your money back!

10%

• 02-05-2009 4:39 AM In reply to

I think the idea with MOTS is superb. When my myfe comes home she wants calm and quet music for a while. In the evening we wants classic music and on the party we want Rock. Why not let the BM5 decide for us so we just dont always play the same tunes? If I hade made a long playlist by some reason then I just choose that one instead of Mots or an complete album or a specific track. So I think for me this is great with all the possibilities.  

Sean are you sure that the interface isn´t as the BM1? If i remember I hade folders on the TV when I didn´t connected the BS5. I think someone wrote that there will be some update later which give you more choises of what to show on the different screens.

PierreR, thank you for an very interesting post.

Brgds Ingvar

Collector since 1996, BS5/BM5, BL3*4, BL11, BEO6, BV10-46, BL2000, MX4002, Beocom6000, Beotalk1200

• 02-08-2009 11:33 AM In reply to

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

IngvarW:

Sean are you sure that the interface isn´t as the BM1? If i remember I hade folders on the TV when I didn´t connected the BS5. I think someone wrote that there will be some update later which give you more choises of what to show on the different screens.

PierreR, thank you for an very interesting post.

Brgds Ingvar

hi there IngvarW

I thought your pictures showed no folder view??? i did not realise you can still have folder view without BS5 as i woudl like it to work as beomedia 1 without the expensive lcd tv that is a rip off.

so when looking at the album list on BM5 do you get album art i woudl love to see a pick of this interface.

Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

• 02-13-2009 4:35 AM In reply to

Hello Sean, I haven´t had time to play/try my BM5 but this weekend perhaps. Yesterday I finalized the implementation with cutting a DVI cable and then solder it together, it actually worked! And I´m not an electrician.. The reason is that my BL7 is in another part of the living room and the cable canal is down under the concreteboard.

Brgds Ingvar

Collector since 1996, BS5/BM5, BL3*4, BL11, BEO6, BV10-46, BL2000, MX4002, Beocom6000, Beotalk1200

• 02-21-2009 9:51 AM In reply to

• Lorup
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-13-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 39
    • Bronze Member

Seanie:

i have been thinking about a BM5 for some time until i found out the tv interface is not the same as beomedia at present and i cannot use folder view and etc etc

If you use BM5 without BS5 you will have the folders, and albums will be grouped under artist and etc.

BeoVision 7-40 MKII, BeoSound 5, BeoLab 5

• 02-21-2009 12:31 PM In reply to

• KibitoCH
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-19-2009
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 82
    • Bronze Member

Seanie:

If you use BM5 without BS5 you will have the folders, and albums will be grouped under artist and etc.

But you won't have mots (only supported together with a Beosound 5) Angry

• 02-21-2009 8:41 PM In reply to

KibitoCH:

I am not confident that this statement is correct. Although I'm not going to re-wire my BS/BM5 to test but the Beo5 can engage MOT's via remote.

It would stand to reason it could do this with or without the BS5.

10%

• 02-22-2009 3:25 AM In reply to

Mr10Percent:

KibitoCH:

I am not confident that this statement is correct. Although I'm not going to re-wire my BS/BM5 to test but the Beo5 can engage MOT's via remote.

It would stand to reason it could do this with or without the BS5.

10%

KibitoCH is quite correct, MOTS is only available when BM5 & BS5 are used together.

• 02-22-2009 4:17 AM In reply to

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

i thought the bs5 was just a fancy display and the software is on bm5 so really MOTS would be on bm5 wouldn't it

Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

• 02-22-2009 5:05 AM In reply to

Seanie:

i thought the bs5 was just a fancy display and the software is on bm5 so really MOTS would be on bm5 wouldn't it

No!

• 02-22-2009 9:26 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Regardless of where the MOTS software resides, they can choose to only allow its use if the BS5 is connected if they wish (an "incentive" if you like).

• 02-22-2009 9:50 AM In reply to

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

thats a nasty little sales trick then. oh well now i wont buy one i will go to another supplier. shame

Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

• 02-22-2009 10:13 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Seanie:

thats a nasty little sales trick then. oh well now i wont buy one i will go to another supplier. shame

I'm not saying that is defintitely the case - I don't know. I was merely specualting that it would seem very strange indeed to stream all of the music, via usb, to a peripheral to be analysed for the MOTS feature when the data is held locally in the BM5 and there's a perfectly respectable processor sitting there idle.

I could however be wrong.

• 02-24-2009 10:30 AM In reply to

Now I have used the MOTS function for a while and like it. As someone wrote here it will find tunes that you have forgotten, and I can really say that many of my CDs are "reborn". It´s also fun to test it a little to see what kind of music it present depending on what tune i start with. You can also "fast forward" in the MOTS list for taking the next and so on.

One remark is that if the samt tune exist in two different folders because they resided on two different CDs when you made the ripping the MOTS function gladly will play the same tune two times. I don´t know if thats an bug or you just have to delete the duplicate first.

Brgds ingvar

• 02-24-2009 10:55 AM In reply to

IngvarW:

One remark is that if the samt tune exist in two different folders because they resided on two different CDs when you made the ripping the MOTS function gladly will play the same tune two times. I don´t know if thats an bug or you just have to delete the duplicate first.

Brgds ingvar

That's a bug that is being resolved at the moment.

• 02-24-2009 2:35 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

I have Beolink PC2, and get More Of The Same by selecting 'Genre' and clicking 'Random'
    Works for me and saves me rakes of dosh too!

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 02-24-2009 2:53 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Jandyt:

I have Beolink PC2, and get More Of The Same by selecting 'Genre' and clicking 'Random'
    Works for me and saves me rakes of dosh too!

Andy T.

Ah but, it's not the same "same" as you get for your 6K spondoolicks - this is reportedly much samier!

• 02-24-2009 3:13 PM In reply to

He-he. I don't like the name - should be More of This?; more of the Same makes me sound boring, eh? Big Smile

• 02-24-2009 3:18 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Joking aside, I would like to play with MOTS to understand and appreciate it's capabilities although I agree with an earlier poster, it may be nice to have but I don't think it is a deal clincher.

It would be good if you could use it's abilities to do different things as I'm not sure I want to listen to a whole list of tracks that are very similar all in a row, in some respects the accuracy of MOTS could become wearisome.

For instance it would be interesting to pick a starting track and move to something similar but then on to something similar to the second track rather than the first. In this way you could have a smooth journey through your catalogue without any inappropriate hiccups but moving away slowly from the initial theme. The rate of "drift" could of course be selectable. I think this would be far more interesting and possibly more usable after the initial novelty of the MOTS feature has worn off.

What about picking some "waypoint" tracks that MOTS has to pass through over the course of it's run - e.g. a track to start the evening, one or two during dinner etc. and a down tempo end track before you chuck everyone out?

Does anyone else have any ideas on how to expand the MOTS concept to give more options/possibilities?

ps. B&O - please send sample device to Puncher@Durham for evaluation and I will post even more suggestionsLaughing

edit: Blast - it turns out the technology on which MOTS is based already does what I suggested. There's always next timeSad

Which begs the question - are these features already buried in the BS5 or have B&O chosen not to implement the more extensive use of the MOTS algorithms?

Page 1 of 1 (22 items)