in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-26-2011 10:28 AM by hackel. 85 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (86 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-03-2009 1:56 AM

BeoSound 5 - First Impressions

BeoSound 5. – The Wait.

The unit was delivered in the first week of February following a pre-order date of mid-December. The long delay – not one of B&O’s greatest strategies I must say (for those who can’t wait for Xmas/tooth fairy etc..) allowed me to make a good deal of preparation prior to delivery:-

First, I had installed good quality a DVI-I cable from my TV to the location of the BeoMaster along with a fortuitous relocation of my wifi modem next to it (BM5 I believe can or will be able to be fitted as an optional extra). Second, I had spent several tens of hours re-ripping my +600 CD collection, to WMA Lossless, re-tagging (smartening up the extraneous and irritating [mix**] notes and placing into title case etc..) and embedding new 500 x 500 pixel cover-art (rather than relying on the low res files downloaded as standard with the disc).

The Set-Up

The BS5/BM5 arrived in two surprisingly small boxes and irritatingly, a bag of loose bits – namely the cables and some fixtures. I had opted for the free-standing table stand but due to “lost in translation” episode with my local dealer, the extended wall bracket arrived instead. The replacement will be here in a few weeks time. The BS5 in my case was supplied with 3 x 4.5m cables (DVI, Power and USB) although 9m cables are also available I’m told.

The whole set-up from box to integration with the BV7 to playback of radio took about 3 hours having opted to install the BS/BM5 myself. There were a number of issues which required a bit of tinkering. First, I think combining the BS5 with a BM5 and BV7 causes issues of what and where the function configuration settings are. Leaving the BS5 in settings mode limits you to a small number of setting on the screen and prevents the BM5 settings to take a grip as the Master on the TV screen. Once this was found, the BS5 placed in N.Music mode, the BM5 settings (Beo5 -> PC -> Config) were easy and clear enough to navigate. Option settings, IP addresses, Client Names, etc…

This is I think one area where B&O need to improve. The manuals were scandalously vacant giving information about the obvious (intuitive) operation of the BS5 and the BM5. A serious think about a good set-up manual is needed. Even if B&O insist they will do the installation by professional and trained technicians, some owners will from time to time move house, will re-locate or re-configure their equipment or simply change their ISP provider. Reference must be at hand if required.

I did have and still do have issues with BeoPlayer ß à BeoMaster 5 synchronising and those will be worked on tonight. However, once the LAN/network was established between BeoPlayer and the BM5, viewing the BM5 file structure was dead easy. Cut and paste your music files right in to a directory you choose. BeoPlayer then sets the instruction as to which file/directory/drive the BM5 will read the music from. To answer many members concerns on the lack of capacity of a 500Mb drive, having seen the configurations, the BM5 almost certainly can read from as many drives as Windows XP and the hardware can support. The limiting factor is BeoPlayer not the BM. If BeoPlayer dialogue box was written to read 1 to X drives, BeoMaster would basically become an infinite music storage machine. I’m sure when they introduce NAS etc… it will be with BeoPlayer program/configuration and not the BM5.

Before loading my files on-board, I upgraded the software. Took approx. 5 minutes and required minimal interaction.

My files were first ripped/stored on a Freecom 320Gb USB Tough drive and once the BeoMaster was powered-up and configured, it had no problem in recognising the drive. The transfer of approx 600 albums took all night. (I’m not sure if this was the fault of the BeoMaster or my selection of hardware:- USB Drive à Laptop à Router à BeoMaster).  

The Looks

The BS5 contrary to what I had envisioned is somewhat smaller than anticipated (slightly larger than an A5 notebook). It is petite and well built. I would say though that it is though not as well built as the BeoCentre2 but that is in context of smaller acreage of aluminium and years of looking/feeling the BC2 verses my quick observation while installing the BS5. I can confirm that unlike the shop demo models, the BS5 does have positive feedback on the primary wheel with a “click”. However, it would have improved a lot if there was a mechanical “click” resistance on the selection wheel. This is however a game of compromise and when you have ~10,000 tracks, the wheel is pretty quick at being able to be spin effortlessly with a quick flick of the fingers to the desired area of music. Mechanics would prevent that from happening no-doubt but would have given a greater sense of precision. The lever does take some getting used to (remember when you first operated a mouse? – that sort of clumsy uncoordinated feeling you have as you train your way to mastery).

Hint: parking the lever “fully-up” or “fully-down” (off-screen) reveals the enlarged album covers and two things came to mind. First, B&O’s selection of demo music was based on both music and I’m sure some really hi-res cover art. Second, I’m a glad that I spent all that time embedding all my albums with 500 x 500 (+50kb) cover art. It looks good. Anything less simply will not do.

The Music

Musically, and with very limited listening time the BS5, the quality is good. My usual reference discs (George Michael’s Amazing - Patience and Jette Torps “Only A Woman” – B&O Active Listening III CD) were played and nothing bad stood out. There were a couple of concerns:- First, BM5 playback is definitely quieter for a volume level of “40” than the CD was in my BC2. This may be the fault of the recording or the BM5. I don’t know yet. Second, the music under initial observations appeared to be very smooth. Smooth and detialled with clear highs and lows but I am certain it is smoother than more traditional B&O and that some of the “roughness” I experienced with CD’s may have gone. “Silky” would be a good adjective but opinion is still out as to whether “silky” is good, desirable or contrary. More listening time required.

I will try to get back tomorrow with another commentary once I have investigated the BS/BM5 functionality and music performance as well as I can.

The Initial Summary

·              No doubt it is a very expensive MP3 player.

·              It does it's job very well for me in removing a large number of CDs from the living room.

·              I would have this device over an iPod or BeoPort any day of the week despite the cost.

·              Thank God they did not put a touch-sensitive screen on that machine!

·              It does appear to do a very good job of the music. More critique and comparison (BV7 DVD drive) required.

·              I don’t think it is a “half-backed” solution like some would suggest. But that is personal choice and a function of how you will use it. More on that later.

Cheers!

10%

• 02-03-2009 2:21 AM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

Re: BeoSound 5 - First Impressions

My compliments to you for a splendid, detailed report !

As one actively considering the purchase of a BS 5, I'm looking forward to reading more of your concise and informative observations.

By the way, what speakers are you using in your system ?

• 02-03-2009 2:38 AM In reply to

Excellent feedback on the Beomaster/Beosound 5.

How do you feel about changing tracks/album using the Beo4/Beo5 sitting down away from the unit ?

Also, I can confirm that the Beomaster 5 supports a wireless ethernet adapter which can be purchased from a B&O dealer using part number 8004169 but is in fact a standard Gigabyte product as shown below:-

Regards Keith....

• 02-03-2009 3:11 AM In reply to

Or you can use an Airport Express. It can be configured to connect to you Wifi network and route it to the Ethernet cable, that you'd plug into the BM5.

The BM5 would not even realise there is a wifi network as it just gets normal Ethernet connection.

Advantage of the Airport Express, It uses the latest Wifi norm (802.11n) that is really fast, if you router in 802.11n as well. (I could not find if this stick is 802.11n or 802.11g)

Disadvantage of the Airport Express: will not switch to standby when BM5 does, the stick will.

I can't believe again that B&O proposes an ugly stick as a solution for wireless. The BM5 should be equipped with a wifi card as standard.

• 02-03-2009 4:13 AM In reply to

• steph
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • France
    • Posts 612
    • Bronze Member

Excellent review ! Yes -  thumbs up

Glad to see that you like your BS5 !

i'm waiting for mine at the end of this month.

I'm not going to connect it to the TV first because of the location of the modem.

Do you think we must change the resolution of the cover art, it's a lot of work ! Sad

• 02-03-2009 5:27 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Thank you so much Mr10Percent for this write up. You have obviously put some time and effort into writing this, and although I am not intending to buy a BS5 in the near future, I found it very informative.
    It's posts like this that make BeoWorld such a great site.
    Thanks again.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 02-03-2009 5:55 AM In reply to

PhilLondon:

I can't believe again that B&O proposes an ugly stick as a solution for wireless. The BM5 should be equipped with a wifi card as standard.

I applaud that decision. It's easy to upgrade to anything Windows XP will support without having a then useless card left in the Beomaster, and if the field strength isn't good enough behind the BM, you just plug up to 5 m of USB cable in between and move the stick to a better position (which is usually cheaper than buying WiFi antennas and extension cables).

The machine is expensive enough as it is, so it's also good you don't have to pay for a B&O WiFi card and can opt for a 20 euro stick from the corner shop instead Laughing It's not like you have to look at it all day...

-mika

• 02-03-2009 10:45 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

Thank you for your impressions!

Personaly, I think that you are only be able to estimate the sound quality with a WAV file ripped at 44,1kHz, 16bit Stereo as this would be standard CD audio resolution and this file represents the pure music from the CD; nothing that is electronicaly rendered and "changed" (like MP3, WMA, WMA losless etc.).

Can anybody confirm that this baby plays WAV without problems? It's listed in the specifications but all people seem to use just MP3 and WMA - which sound different compared to a CD.

Cover-Artwork:
    How did you manage to get 500x500 pixel artworks for your CDs? Would be nice if you can explain it as I have the same task in front of me:

re-ripping all my CDs to WAV files as I don't want compressed music files on a highend machine like the Beosound 5 :-)

• 02-03-2009 11:02 AM In reply to

TWG:
    Personaly, I think that you are only be able to estimate the sound quality with a WAV file ripped at 44,1kHz, 16bit Stereo as this would be standard CD audio resolution and this file represents the pure music from the CD; nothing that is electronicaly rendered and "changed" (like MP3, WMA, WMA losless etc.).

It is a common misunderstanding that compression always mean altering the sound quality.

Lossy encoding (MP3, AAC) compress by removing information from the song that you cannot hear... but on a good audio equipment and with good ears, you can hear the difference. The quality is less than the original.

Lossless encodings use different algorythm that does not remove ANY information from the file. It justs codes it in a more efficient manner. Lossless is stricly lossless. The data once extracted is the same bit for bit as your original WAV file. It is not a question of audible difference... there is no difference.

Keith, if you're reading, you should do a FAQ on this one.

• 02-03-2009 11:04 AM In reply to

TWG.

There is a sound difference between the BS5 and my DVD tray in the BV7-40 (~BC2 DVD/CD). I am still trying to listen to the differences but have had limited time tonight. I'm am still trying to evaluate whether I like the difference no matter how subtle it may be different.

Second, there is definately a difference in sound pressure for the same volume setting on the BV7-40. Subjectively, I would say 40 on CD = 46 on BS5. This may be the machine, it may be the recording.

I have not been to able to evaluate anything other than WMA Lossless. Sorry, but my bag is not to play the endless combination file format game ...but that is just me.

With respect to the cover art, I'm afraid it is a labourious task - especially with 600 albums. Most of my collection is solid whole albums ripped direct from CD. I dont go into "partial" albums or downloads (for now).

1. I use WMP10 to rip my collection. I edit the tags to how I like. 

2. I use Beoplayer to remove all cover art. I find it really good at removing either assoicated cover art files or the embedded flavour.

3. I serch the web for the best cover art I can find. Google Image, AllCDCovers.com, FindmyCD.com, CDUIniverse and Amazon (.com, .co.uk, .de etc..) have most of them. Save the largest I can find to a separate folder in my PC. These are edited and dressed (alot of these files are scanned and can be poor quality)

4. I go back to WMP10 and use the Advanced Tag Editor. Highlighting all the files I chose (from one album), I embed as a "front Cover" the artwork I want.

5. Once this is complete...and believe me it is a real ball-ache, I re-scan Beoplayer and hey-presto.

I have found that it is a law of diminishing returns. More and more work (finding and embedding time) the larger cover art files. Most seem to be approx 350 x 350 pixels and ~15kb. It shows on the BS5 (and also on Beoplayer whos art work in info is approximately 15mm x 15mm smaller than the BS5's). Files above 30kb look OK.

One final thing... I can confirm that in WMA lossless, the BS5 does play without any pause between tracks. I tested this on a couple of Pink Floyd live Albums and playback was continuous. No blips etc... I need to try it on a few classical pieces but I'm 99.9% sure it will be OK if the recording is OK.

10%

• 02-03-2009 11:14 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

Thank you for your answer and support.

So, I'll have to do a LOT of work for good album covers :-)

• 02-03-2009 11:37 AM In reply to

• steph
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • France
    • Posts 612
    • Bronze Member

Yeah,

Thanks very much ! Yes -  thumbs up

Is it the same task ripping the CD with WMP10 or BeoPlayer ?

I mean, is there any differences or do we get the same result (tags, covers, ...) ?

• 02-03-2009 11:37 AM In reply to

PhilLondon:

Keith, if you're reading, you should do a FAQ on this one.

Phil,

May I suggest you write the FAQ and I will add it...

Regards Keith....

• 02-03-2009 12:53 PM In reply to

Steph,

I would not use Beoplayer for anything except removing embeded photos and syncronising with the BM5. It is not functional enough IMO to be quick. The ripping takes X3 than WMP10.

WMP10 has both lossless ripping, the ability to bulk label albums and advance tag editing. Beoplay has none of these functions. WMP11 I beleive also does not have advanced tag editing. I'm no expert and I'm sure there are plenty in the forum who know all the ins and outs of rippers.

10%

• 02-03-2009 5:23 PM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

Do I have the opportunity to drag&drop my audiofiles via Apple Finder or Windows Explorer from my computer to the beomaster 5? I think this would take less time than the synchronisation between software on the computer and on the beomaster 5!?

• 02-03-2009 6:06 PM In reply to

Jandyt:

Thank you so much Mr10Percent for this write up. You have obviously put some time and effort into writing this, and although I am not intending to buy a BS5 in the near future, I found it very informative.
    It's posts like this that make BeoWorld such a great site.
    Thanks again.

Andy T.

ditto from me... great write up!

looking fwd to further installments!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 02-03-2009 8:15 PM In reply to

TWG:
    Do I have the opportunity to drag&drop my audiofiles via Apple Finder or Windows Explorer from my computer to the beomaster 5? I think this would take less time than the synchronisation between software on the computer and on the beomaster 5!?

There are two ways I can see this can be done. I may get the terminology wrong but bear with me:-

1. Use BeoPlayer 5.00. I have not done this yet but it will syncronise both your BM5 dayabase and your file store. Preference goes to your original file store on your PC/HDD

2. Using your PC, you can go over the network and access directory "$BM-Fileshare" or similar. I did this and BS5 played all loaded tunes as and when they were loaded onto the the BM5. It took several hours but music was progressively available.

3. It may also be possible but again I did not try this, that you can connect a HDD, generic keyboard and mouse (keyboard has spare USB socket) directly to the spare USB ports. Go to maintenance mode and bring up windows. Works just like a PC then. However, you will still need beoplayer on a second PC if you are going to make any configuration changes.

2. and 3. are effectively drag and drop solutions.

10%

• 02-03-2009 8:16 PM In reply to

TWG:

There are two ways I can see this can be done. I may get the terminology wrong but bear with me:-

1. Use BeoPlayer 5.00. I have not done this yet but it will syncronise both your BM5 dayabase and your file store. Preference goes to your original file store on your PC/HDD

2. Using your PC, you can go over the network and access directory "$BM-Fileshare" or similar. I did this and BS5 played all loaded tunes as and when they were loaded onto the the BM5. It took several hours but music was progressively available.

3. It may also be possible but again I did not try this, that you can connect a HDD, generic keyboard and mouse (keyboard has spare USB socket) directly to the spare USB ports. Go to maintenance mode and bring up windows. Works just like a PC then. However, you will still need beoplayer on a second PC if you are going to make any configuration changes.

10%

N.B. This post refers to transfers using WMA files in MSXP Explorer for all PC's. I'm not at all sure how Apple does it. Maybe BeoConnect is required there?

• 02-04-2009 11:59 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

Ah, ok. So many possibilities to play with :-)

Thanks!

I can't wait to get my BS5. Still takes some time here in Germany ...

• 02-05-2009 10:21 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Mr10Percent:

TWG:

10%

N.B. This post refers to transfers using WMA files in MSXP Explorer for all PC's. I'm not at all sure how Apple does it. Maybe BeoConnect is required there?

First, thanks 10% for your great review.

Yes, you can transfer audiofiles, jpegs... via Beoconnect to BM5. It`s drag and drop.

Or you can transfer files directly via network to BMshare.

Another way is to connect a HD to BM5 via USB and copy music to the musicfolder. This is done in the service menu. You will need a keyboard/mouse.

I managed to copy some HD movie files to BM5 PHOTO section. They are 1280x720p, 6.5 Mb/s wmv, and they work without problems.

You can play, stop, fast forward/rewind, next..

Has anybody an idea how to play files directly from a connected USB HD? I tried to install a link in the PHOTO section to the movie folder of the HD,but this link is not visible in the PHOTO section (?!).

Stefan

• 02-05-2009 10:29 AM In reply to

stefan:

I managed to copy some HD movie files to BM5 PHOTO section. They are 1280x720p, 6.5 Mb/s wmv, and they work without problems.

What video format does it accept? Have installed any additional codec/software on the BM5?

p.

• 02-05-2009 10:31 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

Stefan, did you manage to copy your music direct from an usb harddrive?

Did you use a USB-hub to plug in mouse, keyboard and the usb harddrive? USB 2.0  highspeed transfer seems to be the fastest way to to this.
    Would be the ideal solution for me as I'm planning to use an external harddrive to re-rip all my CDs.

• 02-05-2009 11:07 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

PhilLondon:

stefan:

What video format does it accept? Have installed any additional codec/software on the BM5?

p.

I think it will work with formats that windows media player accepts. But I don`t really know. Just tested the wmv.

No additional codecs or sw.

Stefan

• 02-05-2009 11:12 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

TWG:

Stefan, did you manage to copy your music direct from an usb harddrive?

Did you use a USB-hub to plug in mouse, keyboard and the usb harddrive? USB 2.0  highspeed transfer seems to be the fastest way to to this.
    Would be the ideal solution for me as I'm planning to use an external harddrive to re-rip all my CDs.

BM5 has 2 USB plugs. I used one for the HD and the other for my keyboard/mouse. So no need for a hub.

I copied all my music directly via USB HD to my 3 BM1s. I think this is the fastest way. The BM5 got the music via network from a HD connected to a mac mini.

Stefan

• 02-05-2009 12:42 PM In reply to

PhilLondon:

Or you can use an Airport Express. It can be configured to connect to you Wifi network and route it to the Ethernet cable, that you'd plug into the BM5.

The BM5 would not even realise there is a wifi network as it just gets normal Ethernet connection.

Advantage of the Airport Express, It uses the latest Wifi norm (802.11n) that is really fast, if you router in 802.11n as well. (I could not find if this stick is 802.11n or 802.11g)

Thanks for this suggestion.  I get my Beosound 5 next week and didn't want to use wireless because there is too much interference where I live.  However I have newer Macs and do have a 802.11n network which works perfectly.  I am putting the BS5 in the bedroom because I don't have enough room in my condo living room.  At first I thought its was ridiculous to put the BS5 in a bedroom but now I think it's really cool.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

Page 1 of 4 (86 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >