in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-01-2009 3:47 PM by j0hnbarker. 52 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (53 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-31-2009 10:11 AM In reply to

Re: A vision in gold?

Not sure why you had that problem maybe I need to beef up my internet security.....Yes not for everyone, and I also think Starck is a genious, but not my taste either... ...I'm more a classic modernist and like you I would like a cassina LC in tan leather with grey / black frame...

But really,  I actually don't see the gold as any different than the bright red and bright blue, in fact in the right interior I think it could look fantastic. For me personally I like my B&O classic or in black, grey, silver...

Laurence

• 01-31-2009 10:18 AM In reply to

Nice trheed !

Of course it is all meter of taste, and IMO for companies like B&O is good to offer choice ... but not to cross the thin line between good taste and kitch !

And I think middle east and Russia is huge market .... so time will tell....

Just for record: I don't like it at all ! but this is my personal opinion, and if some of my clients wonted I will put it, why not ....

when your Black Label begin to taste like juice just take shot or two of Absinthe and after that quench with some vodka, if you still feel juice like take beer with grappa !

• 01-31-2009 10:33 AM In reply to

But who's to say for instance, gold is bad taste and bright blue isn't?

I never understood why any one would order bright blue, but I wouldn't want to take away their right and or choice to do so if its offered, as they are making a large investment in something that they want to get years of enjoyment from, and if blues their fav colour so be it....

Laurence.

• 01-31-2009 10:59 AM In reply to

Pimp my ride dude all in gold Big Smile

Carl Sheerman

• 01-31-2009 11:16 AM In reply to

• Affineur
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-27-2008
    • United States
    • Posts 90
    • Bronze Member

The varied response to this finish reminds me of the section on "The Chair of Death" in Malcolm Gladwell's book "Blink" recounting the trials and tribulations of the development and marketing of the Aeron office chair which was initially disliked and went on to become very succesful . From that section:

"the people reporting their first impressions misinterpreted their own feelings. They said they hated it. But what they really meant was that that the chair was so new and unusual that they were not used to it. This is not true of everything that we call ugly. The Edsel, the Ford Motor Company famous flop from the 1950s, failed because people thought it looked funny. But two or three years later, every other car maker didn't suddenly start making cars that looked like the Edsel, the way everyone started copying the Aeron. The Edsel strted out ugly, and it's still ugly. By the same token, there are movies that people hate when they see themfor the first time, and they still hate them two or three years later. A bad movie is always a bad movie. The problem is that buried among the things that we hate is a class of products that are in that category only because they are weird. They make us nervous. They are sufficiently different that it takes us time to understand that we actually like them."

I find this to be the case with many B&O products and, to a lesser extent, the finishes made available. So perhps one should defer judgement until experienced in person in an appropiate setting (what Gladwell refers to as "context"). The gold clearly brings up all of the conotations refered to above but perhaps the choice is a good one for a given installation. BTW I still do not like the Aeron chair either visually or ergonomically.

Seek simplicity and distrust it. Alfred North Whitehead
  • 01-31-2009 11:36 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Well it has certainly stirred up some emotions. For the record I wouldn't for one minute criticise someone elses taste but I personally don't like this colour scheme one bit when applied to B&O products - except the BS1 as aforementioned.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 01-31-2009 12:09 PM In reply to

beoberlin:
    strangely allmost all found sites may harm my computer, as google is stating.

I have just read that Google had a bug today that displayed that message for most sites.

• 01-31-2009 12:47 PM In reply to

Coming to a MTV "Cribs" episode near you! 

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 01-31-2009 1:34 PM In reply to

Actually I like this honey/gold coloured option. Much more easier on the eye than silver I think. Very J.Lo, Gwen Stefani. This colour will actually blend very well in most domestic environments.

• 01-31-2009 1:36 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

soundchoice70:

Over the last few years there has been what they call 'modern baroque' trend, modernist interiors with simple, streamline detailing accented with bold lavish details such as crystal chandeliers, gilt mirrors, pattern wallcoverings, tufted furniture.

YES! Baroque, that's the term i was searching for. Not pimp. When is B&O ever targeted durectly at the pimpin' people... hehe

This definitely wouldn't blend in at my house, it would stick out like a fluorecent sheep!

Taste is subjective.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 01-31-2009 2:30 PM In reply to

wonderfulelectric:

Actually I like this honey/gold coloured option. Much more easier on the eye than silver I think. Very J.Lo, Gwen Stefani. This colour will actually blend very well in most domestic environments.

What?! Big Smile

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 01-31-2009 2:46 PM In reply to

Dave:

soundchoice70:

Over the last few years there has been what they call 'modern baroque' trend, modernist interiors with simple, streamline detailing accented with bold lavish details such as crystal chandeliers, gilt mirrors, pattern wallcoverings, tufted furniture.

YES! Baroque, that's the term i was searching for. Not pimp. When is B&O ever targeted durectly at the pimpin' people... hehe

This definitely wouldn't blend in at my house, it would stick out like a fluorecent sheep!

Taste is subjective.

Oh please. Baroque is so 2004. People are going back to the 80s decor now. Anyways the honey tone will go very well with those organic wooden Italian furniture too. 

• 01-31-2009 2:51 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I'm pretty sure Baroque is up to the early 18th century actually. Wink Get your facts right. Laughing

Weekly top artists:                   

• 01-31-2009 3:20 PM In reply to

Not good - gold is not a finish that will have any legs at all I'm afraid. There's no way in 10 years time that any product that's offered in gold will be anything other than 50% cheaper than the more mainstream finishes. Trust me. Leopard skin will be next. Bet Gilroy might like them, but that's about it.

Why not bring back some wooden finishes? Teak was always a favourite of mine. I was polishing the teak trim this afternoon on my BG 4002 and admiring the quality. Gold, on the other hand, makes me shudder :P

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 01-31-2009 3:32 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

I actually like this gold effectEmbarrassed

It has to be better than some of the paint jobs on the Beolab 5s in the first magalog!

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 01-31-2009 3:48 PM In reply to

This thread is quite interesting to read and great fun!  I guess B&O is exploring whatever it takes to improve sales during a recession.  I don't like the gold BV7 but if it sells, why not?  However I hope B&O doesn't do too much of this.  They don't want to tarnish the brand!  (pun intended)

Imagine a limited edition gold BS9000!  

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 01-31-2009 4:05 PM In reply to

Alex:

I'm pretty sure Baroque is up to the early 18th century actually. Wink Get your facts right. Laughing

Baroque when it was last back in style. Hello... lol... Baroque is out now. Notice how how the leading designers have a new found obsession with modern edgy furniture? 

• 01-31-2009 4:09 PM In reply to

• Xseries
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Hampshire
    • Posts 433
    • Bronze Member

Surely they will provide a gold leaf or even solid gold limited edition for the really wealthy clients!

It is all personal taste - and of course the more ahead of its time  - the more likely it is to date and go out of fashion sooner!

Brian

• 01-31-2009 7:07 PM In reply to

Yes your right Wonderfulelectric the 'modern baroque' trend has been around since 2004 or so... and of course depending on who and what you read is/ isn't still a market force ....  And ....well thats the problem with trends / fashion ... you'll always end up 'out' Embarrassed... brown is the new black, black is the new black, gold is the new stainless, black is the new gold.... blah, blah, blah.. thats why I always prefer a classic approach for the basics of any interior which will endure for many years.... fashion can be expressed in things such as accessories that are easily changed.

So I tend to agree you may tire of the gold (just as I think you would any of the colours) ... best to keep it simple i say....

But as some of you probably already know, I'm gonna vote with John lets have some teak / rosewood timber trims as well!Surprise

Laurence.

• 01-31-2009 8:09 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Hmmm..........

This debate begs the question "when will the first magnolia range of B&O products be released?". Now that's a colour that will fit anywhereBig Smile

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 01-31-2009 8:17 PM In reply to

well...

gold has never been my cup of tea for anything, let alone this...

but, i suppose it could fly in the right room decor... i thk it needs to be seen in person as it does appear to be more of a subtle brassy look.

i also agree that the novelty would wear out rather quickly.

orb audio did(does) some speakers in copper that actually look rather nice. perhaps someone could photoshop this in copper? or better yet: bronze.

lastly: i def agree that i would love to see wood make a return! 

• B&o bottle opener
  • 02-01-2009 12:57 AM In reply to

I am thinking and thinking. Initial reaction was to throw up in my mouth a bit. it certainly does not go along with how I furnished my place.

Big however though, I can imagine that some interior design crack manages to assemble a room that looks awesome with it.

I remember to well the pictures of the BC2 in a slightly baroque environment. I was drooling all over those even though I hated that style initially .... Now I bought a 1900 something silver candelabra (candle holder with 3 arms) and it sits on a plastic light cube side table and it is one of the coolest pieces I have

.... I am pretty much convinced that something very interesting can be achieved with B&O in gold .... I just don't know yet how, let the marketing begin ....

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 02-01-2009 9:01 AM In reply to

Great thread guys, it's nice to read such strong opinions.

Returning to GOLD, well it's about time B&O made this step! It is a plain fact that there are wealthy people, cultures and nations that love gold and personally I promote this; to add further exclusivity to everyone's B&O products!

B&O have been fools to ignore the huge demand for gold products for so long and although I wouldn't be the buyer of a gold BV7 or BL5, I do not think they look awful or harm the sophisticated image and design of the brand

• 02-01-2009 9:30 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

It's always worth remembering when contemplating something such as this -

Style is timeless, fashion has victims!

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 02-01-2009 9:58 AM In reply to

Jandyt:

I actually like this gold effectEmbarrassed

It has to be better than some of the paint jobs on the Beolab 5s in the first magalog!

Andy T.

Paint jobs on the Beolab 5? Where can I see / find these?

-Andreas

Page 2 of 3 (53 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >