in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-17-2008 1:31 AM by Alex. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-16-2008 4:25 PM

• dp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-28-2007
    • Posts 47
    • Bronze Member

Don't want to start another HD audio thread but...SACD?

I never realised that my PS3 is a SACD player!

So what would happen if I played a SACD on the PS3 connected to a beosystem3/bv4-50 with BL9? Do I just get really good sound or am I experiencing HD audio Huh?

Does anyone use their PS3 to regularly play back SACDs - is this the best audio source for the high-end BL9 or BL5? I don't think it would be worth buying a stand alone SACD player as there isn't enough material but using a PS3 sounds like a cheap solution?

Open the floor to moxxey, 355f, soundproof etc... Cool

• 09-16-2008 4:38 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Re: Don't want to start another HD audio thread but...SACD?

I take it then that your PS3 is one of the early, 60gb models - the later 40gb & 80gb units had this feature stripped (as well as the dream engine for playing PS2 games).

Most SACD's are actually hybrid discs that have a "normal" CD layer too - you would need to ensure you were actually sending the multi-channel data to your BS3 (I'm not sure how the PS3 handles this, presumably multi-channel PCM, but I don't know).

...........................and then the speculation starts, you sound like you have read the thread that "raged" here a month or so ago. There is a question mark (not to mention considerable disagreement) about how comprehensively the BS3 handles multi-channel "high-"definition" audio.

I fear it is all about to break out againUnsureLaughing

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 09-16-2008 4:39 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Yes, there is a good argument that the sound will be significantly better than CD, although it's also dependent on the DACs used. If you run digital audio out into the BeoSystem 3, then I expect you could experience sound significantly better than CD. If you rely on the PS3's built-in decoders then the outcome would probably be quite different.

I am not actually sure what would happen in the signal flow and processing of SACD audio. SACD is 1-bit audio and has a sample rate of just over 2 MHz - it follows completely different standards to CD, DVD-A etc...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 09-16-2008 5:11 PM In reply to

• dp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-28-2007
    • Posts 47
    • Bronze Member

hmmm ok - i didn't realise that the new ones didn't have the ability to play SACD

yes the couple of discs i've tried have not only 2 channel SACD & 'normal' CD encoding but also 5.1 SACD as an option. and yes I eh... 'studied' the previous HD audio vs BS3 thread - but that's my point -

as i'm an audio person more than a movie person - could i (in theory) buy a nice pair of BeoLab 9s connected to a BeoVision 8 (yes 8) and hook up a PS3, to get the best in audio quality?

• 09-17-2008 1:31 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

No. I would get a fantastic quality preamp and fantastic quality DAC if you were really wanting to use BeoLab 9s to their potential...

Weekly top artists:                   

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)