in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-12-2007 9:49 PM by expoman. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-12-2007 12:31 AM

• mor
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Cologne
    • Posts 104
    • Bronze Member

Pimp my BV5 ... daring mod

I hope that I am not too crazy with my idea - but any feedback greatly appreciated:

I have an SD BV 5 which I love. Now I do love my Apple equipment as well and I have in the past connected my Powerbook via s-video to the BV 5 and the picture quality was great actually. Though now I feel I want to move on and use an AppleTV. Only problem (you might have guessed) is that my BV 5 doesnt have any DVI input (at least provided by B&O) and AppleTV doesnt "speak analogue"

We all know though that inside every BV 5 there's a digital display ... is there any chance of pimping my BV 5 and get access to the digital bridge into the panel? Wouldnt mind paying for it at all - only any HD B&O flat panel is out of the question for the time being.

Does anyone have an idea whether through updating the panel I would get a digital port?? Before I get a screwdriver and look myself I hope that someone on the forum here can tell me more.

(Please do not move this post to the Mac thread - because I fear that it wont be read - not everyone with tech knowledge uses a mac)

• 05-12-2007 1:18 AM In reply to

Re: Pimp my BV5 ... daring mod

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/utm/posts/Article/appleTV-2007-03-22-21-30

I would rather connect it via some sort of adapter .... I would not think it will work perfectly or top nodge quality and you may have to try more then one converter but what you have in mind I would be afraid of .....

Cheers
    JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 05-12-2007 1:27 AM In reply to

Another forum member reported ordering this:

http://www.svideo.com/appletv2tv.html 

You may want to do a search an wait for a report. It seems easier.

The video quality on AppleTV isn't that great any way, so it's really for music. 

• 05-12-2007 4:29 PM In reply to

>>The video quality on AppleTV isn't that great any way, so it's really for music<

I agree. Just stopped by the Glas Cube Apple Store in NYC to take a look. I think it is not so much the device but the movies sold by Apple. i am ripping DVDs myself and store as MP4 and this is much better, even when shown with a projector.

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 05-12-2007 5:02 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

The aTV can decode h.264 I think, and I've seen it playing HD - it's certainly capable of very very high quality video. Read the thread in the Mac forum about connecting an aTV to an SD TV, and you'll see how it can be done very easily...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 05-12-2007 9:49 PM In reply to

• expoman
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • United States
    • Posts 222
    • Bronze Member

The US BV5 (even early models) have component inputs on the rear next to the masterlink socket red, green, blue which take the output of the Apple TV.  This works great and the BV5 will accept 1080i or 720p or 480p input. If you have an european BV5 then you would need a scart to component cable.  Use the STB input and set it to generic YPbPr in the external sources menu.  You will need to use the apple remote to operate it until the next software update hopefully includes the Apple TV.  This even works on any US model Avant.  Remember to hold the Plus and menu button on the apple remote to get the apple TV to switch output signal until you get a picture because the Avant only sees 480p. 
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)