in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-20-2008 2:15 PM by Robert. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-06-2008 5:51 PM

• Robert
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Northern Ireland
    • Posts 362
    • Gold Member

Trip to Copenhagen

I'm heading to Copenhagen with my family for 5 days on Saturday, and was wondering what sites and activities we should take in? My little brother wants to visit Tivoli Gardens and the Little Mermaid statue, and I think everyone is keen to shop on Stroget, but are there any museums/sites etc that are particularly worth a visit? We are staying in the First Hotel Vesterbro, which seems fairly central. Hopefully i'll hear from some people who've already visited, or live in the city!

Thanks,

Robert. 

• 07-07-2008 4:21 AM In reply to

Re: Trip to Copenhagen

Robert

Do not know where to start, Copenhagen -- wonderful place (as is Denmark in general). Am running the risk of sounding like a tourist guide here but, hey ho, never mind.

Serioiusly consider  3 day Copenhagen card (free/cheaper entry into lots of touristy things and free bus/rail travel)

Canal Tour, Carlseberg brewery, Tycho Brahe Planetarium, Design Museum (free entry late afternoon one day a week?), Audio walk, Viking Ship Museum at Roskilde. Is also a great sculpture park about 8Km N at Lousiana (but I have just had a brain malfunction and forgotten its name!)

Hope this helps

Gareth

2nd Prize winner in the May 2010 draw

42 - The answer to the ultimate question of Life, the Universe, and Everything

• 07-08-2008 12:39 AM In reply to

• fridsten
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 167
    • Founder

In Copenhagen you can find the very interesting Museum Erotica, but that might not be the right place to take your little brother. Whistle

The Carlsberg brewery is also a nice place to visit, but that might not be totally politically correct for him either.

Sorry...

But Tivoli is excellent. And Dyrehavsbakken, also known as Bakken, is also very nice for younger people. The Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek, with collections of ancient and old egyptian items is also very interesting.

• 07-08-2008 4:57 PM In reply to

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

The little mermaid is gorssly overrated, it is small and not that interesting, but Japanese tourists still think it is wonderfull. this homepage has most of the info you probably need: http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/

If you are into opera or architecture, we just got a new operahouse, it is rather spectaculare i think: http://www.operaen.dk/  you can take a small ferry, as it is on the other side of the chanel.

If you visit Strøget, turn left as you reach Kongens Nytorv (the end of Strøget if you started your walk at city hall) then there is a rather large B&O shop on a corner, probably the best one in Copenhagen. When you walk down Strøget, remember to try the smaller streets paralell to it, that is where all the interesting shops and resturants are located, especially around Notre Dame church (Vor Frue Kirke) and the old university main building, which is open to visitors. The shops on Strøget are pretty mainstreem and could be located in any bit city.

Have a nice trip and do not hesitate to write if you got any questions

br Chr.

Beosound Ouverture, Beocenter 9000, Beovision MX6000, Beocord VX7000
  • 07-09-2008 4:39 AM In reply to

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

By the way, it is a great idea to take a day-trip to Roskilde, it is only a 30 minutes train ride from Copenhagen Central Station which you stay near by. When you arrive in Roskilde by train, exit the station (which is the oldest one in Denmark, the strech from Copenhagen to Roskilde was the first rail road in DK), cross the square to get to the pedestrian street running leading to the main square where the dome is situated. Roskilde Domechurch (Roskilde Domkirke) is where all the kings are barried (sorry about the spelling), and before medival time Roskilde was the capital of Denmark. From the dome you have a nice view of the Fjord and the city. When you have seen the church, walk down via the park to the harbour, where the museum for the viking-ships is. If you got time left, please note the small parish church on a hill just left to the harbour. That is the church of sct georges' hill (Sct. Jørgensbjerg Kirke) and the northern part of the church ship is some of the oldest stonearchitecture in Denmark. There is a nice view of the harbour and church from the small church. On the harbour there is a nice (but expensive) resturant, might be worth a try if you are there by supper time.

br

Chr.

Beosound Ouverture, Beocenter 9000, Beovision MX6000, Beocord VX7000
  • 07-20-2008 2:15 PM In reply to

• Robert
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Northern Ireland
    • Posts 362
    • Gold Member

Thanks for the ideas guys, we had a really enjoyable trip in Copenhagen! I would have liked to visit Roskile ChrDH, but we didnt have time for it I'm afraid. However we did take in a good few sights in Copenhagen. I've uploaded some photos I took to my mobileme gallery for anyone thats interested.

http://gallery.me.com/r_smyth  

Robert. 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)