in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-03-2008 12:21 AM by mjmedlo. 25 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-29-2008 6:59 PM

• mjmedlo
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-07-2008
    • Arkansas, USA
    • Posts 384
    • Bronze Member

Beovision 4 worth the money?

Does anyone here own the BV4 50 or 65; I've pretty much got all B&O product except the panel. .

Is it worth the money, or would you all recommend the panny instead?

thanks

MJM

I'm ready for something new that I actually want to buy!

• 06-30-2008 2:11 AM In reply to

Re: Beovision 4 worth the money?

mjmedlo:

Does anyone here own the BV4 50 or 65; I've pretty much got all B&O product except the panel. .

Is it worth the money, or would you all recommend the panny instead?

thanks

MJM

I have the BV4 / 50 and I'm very satisfied. The best thing about the BV 4 is the Beosystem 3 AV processor. If you have a BS3 already you can alternatively buy a pana plasma and add a bezel of your taste. I personally absolutely don't like the new rounded off BV4 plasma bezels and today would choose to buy a pana and add a brushed aluminium bezel. 

Does anybody know where to get custom made bezels ? I think I have read about it in the forum.

Best,

E.

• 06-30-2008 2:33 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Southern CA
    • Posts 137
    • Bronze Member

I didnt like the new BeoVision 4 in pictures, but in person it is a stunning screen. It really looks amazing.
    -Alex
  • 06-30-2008 3:00 AM In reply to

Can someone provide a link to the new BV4 rounded off bezels. I am contemplating getting one. I hope they do not look like the BV9. I much prefer my current flat bezels on my BV 5.

Thanks 

• 06-30-2008 8:22 AM In reply to

Unfortunately B&O modified the BV4 the same way as the BV9. It's a matter of taste, but you definitely have more variety if you choose your own bezel. Not to mention how much money you save... Don't forget that you don't have B&O's automatic color management if you choose the Pana plasma.
  • 06-30-2008 9:54 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2007
    • Atlanta, USA
    • Posts 318
    • Founder

I have to agree with Alex that I did not care for the new frame until I saw it in person.  The new BV4 65 is stunning, especially when paired with the new BL10.  The proportions are somehow more appropriate to the 65" panel and it seems very balanced.  I'm still not a fan of the more rounded frame design in theory but I have to give credit to the designers for creating what I found to be the most awe inspiring screen I've ever seen in the 65".  I had mixed feelings about the BL10 as well.  It seemed odd with the  50" that I keep seeing it paired with in pictures.  However, with the new BV4 65" it's absolutely perfect!  I still can't figure out why I've yet to see that combo in any of the B&O images.

The previous BV4 although beautiful seemed more Panasonic than B&O.  The new BV4 seems to have much more of B&O's fingerprints on it in terms of design, materials and technology.  I'd be much more likely to buy B&O for the new BV4 than the old one if considering Panasonic as an alternative.

-Michael

• 06-30-2008 11:45 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

The BV4 is a stunning piece of kit, excellent picture and a good set. However, the problem I have is that there's a massive price difference between the 50 and 65, so you need to work out if you need the larger panel. Also, don't forget you need the BS3 and a centre speaker, which means that the BV4-5 is around £13K with BL10.

If you're prepared to pay this, perhaps it might be worth looking at the BV9 which uses the same panel, has the BS3 built-in, the HDR and more?

• 06-30-2008 11:52 AM In reply to

• mjmedlo
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-07-2008
    • Arkansas, USA
    • Posts 384
    • Bronze Member

My current set up includes the BS3 with a Toshiba 1080p panel and lab5s in the front, a pair of 4000s as center channel, 8000s as surround and lab 4s as rear; I love the B&O processor but am wondering if I'd really tell that much difference with the B&O panel over the Commercial panasonic panel. . or. . .to state it plainly is there $4-5k difference in the two?

• 06-30-2008 3:02 PM In reply to

Yes. The difference is at least that much.

One important thing to remember in addition to the picture quality is that with current ACM panels (all BV4s & BV9s going forward), your investment is safe. The ability to adjust chromatic values against the natural aging of the phospher in the screen means that it will look better on day one and continue to impress long after other screens have aged themselves out of use.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 06-30-2008 6:06 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

mjmedlo:

My current set up includes the BS3 with a Toshiba 1080p panel and lab5s in the front, a pair of 4000s as center channel, 8000s as surround and lab 4s as rear; I love the B&O processor but am wondering if I'd really tell that much difference with the B&O panel over the Commercial panasonic panel. . or. . .to state it plainly is there $4-5k difference in the two?

I have run the BV4 and the panasonic commercial side by side.

There are  a few 'operational issues' you cant control some menus of the panasonic screen via beo 4 but for performance my associates and I- who manufacture this stuff for a living could tell little or no difference between the panels.

As for 'other panels ageing them sleves into the dustbin- Why dont B&O simply opt for a panel with  afar longer half life to start off with!

Whichever way one looks at it  you can buy a panasonic panel now and in three years buy another- which will be miles ahead in life and picture quaility and still have change- inseat of the BV4. Technology is moving to fast to invest the huge premuim B&O ask for the screens.

• 06-30-2008 10:01 PM In reply to

355f! My old nemesis! I knew I'd find you here! 

I'm not saying you're totally wrong on that. If you're looking at more or less the same screen (ours and the Panny) you'd probably see very little difference when both are fresh. I can even agree to the extent that before the ACM system was made available I had even personally considered (gasp!) using a Panny with a BeoSystem 3. 

From my experience selling B&O, though (8 years, but who's counting) Bang & Olufsen clients generally differ dramatically from the buying public in that they're not interested in having the latest and the greatest as soon as it comes out, but rather choosing the best balance of what's available at the time they're ready to buy and being able to maintain that product over the years. In fact I'm often surprised by how often I'm replacing a client's 25 year old television with a BeoVision 9 or BeoVision 7! Many don't even have cable yet!

It sounds like you're the type of guy who isn't really concerned whether something is ship shape in 5 years, as you'll be on to the next innovation. That's definitely cool, but that's contrary to our very philosophy! I'd personally prefer a 2 year old 720p BeoVision 4 to the latest Samsung or Sony (or Pioneer or whatever) because to a small extent it shares visual values with all of my other products, it works seamlessly with my BeoSystem 3, it's warranty is better, its customer service is better (though I'm admittedly providing it to myself!), and quite frankly whatever the difference in price works out to won't be missed in a few years time. And if it would be, then maybe I shouldn't be buying brand new B&O gear anyways!

That's my opinion on the value of a B&O television, but admittedly "worth" is highly subjective. I think you could thumb through my past posts and 355f's as well and see our opinions on this matter well (and sometimes heatedly) established. It really depends on what motivates the buyer and if there's a huge amount of trepidation even after weighing the options, go for the Panny. My feelings won't be hurt and you'll have an opportunity to replace it soon enough if you change your mind! 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 06-30-2008 10:09 PM In reply to

If you got the BS3 already I would probably go after a B&O panel regardless if it is worth or not. The trouble is, that the BS3 officially does not support anything else. And while osme had (limited) success making it work, I personally would not want to have to jump through hoops or take the annoyance of getting burned in an upgrade down the line.

Lastly, I am after the design component big time. The B&O screens certainly look better and more luxurious then anything Panasonic has to offer. 

JK 

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 07-01-2008 1:12 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

mjmedlo:

Hey, that's a very unusual setup and combination of products! Do you have any pictures you could post?

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 07-01-2008 2:40 AM In reply to

i had a demo of the old bv4 with a bc2 and the pic was amazing , looked like a blu ray , really stunning

roll on bv7 with blu ray built in !!! that'll sell like hot cakes i'm sure 

popgear is grate™

• 07-01-2008 9:43 AM In reply to

• mjmedlo
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-07-2008
    • Arkansas, USA
    • Posts 384
    • Bronze Member

• 07-01-2008 9:46 AM In reply to

• mjmedlo
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-07-2008
    • Arkansas, USA
    • Posts 384
    • Bronze Member

Your post brings me to my next question. . My dealer is really pushing the 720p panel and has offered a substantial discount.  I feel like a step to 720 from a 1080p panel is not the way to go?

Any one have experience with both B&O panels? 720p and 1080p?  My dealer says the difference is insignificant but I don't want to buy outdated technology. . .

• 07-01-2008 9:57 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

1080p is really non-essential. Indeed, it makes upscaled SD content more blocky and pixelated - SD football is dreadful on a 1080p screen. So, depends on what you want to do. If you're a big Blu-ray and HD movie fan, 1080p is fine. If you watch SD content, upscaled DVDs, 720p is a better option for now.
  • 07-01-2008 10:25 AM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

jk1002:

If you got the BS3 already I would probably go after a B&O panel regardless if it is worth or not. The trouble is, that the BS3 officially does not support anything else.

JK 

I really don't know what 'officially' means in this case but the BS-3 shows a list of 10 non-B&O panels as options under 'Display 1' and that doesn't include projectors.  Pannys, Mitsys, Sonys, Fujis, Pioneerys, even a Samsung or two.

Nonetheless, if I could swing the money, why not a pretty blue BV-4 to go along with my BeoLab 6000's?  Still looking for a Blue Avant/US if I'm honest about it.  Embarrassed

MJMedlo...hard to answer your question witout a bit more information...screen size and seating distance primarily...but in general I agree with Moxxey here.  I was able to do a near-instant comparo between 2 different BV-4 65" panels late last year when a 720p was being swapped out for a 1080i/p panel.  3 of us stood in the room and struggled to see any difference at all from 3 meters away.  The panels are all fine and the BS-3 is terrific at managing resolutions and image quality.

Russ

Russ

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 07-01-2008 10:51 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

mjmedlo:

Your post brings me to my next question. . My dealer is really pushing the 720p panel and has offered a substantial discount.  I feel like a step to 720 from a 1080p panel is not the way to go?

Any one have experience with both B&O panels? 720p and 1080p?  My dealer says the difference is insignificant but I don't want to buy outdated technology. . .

You dont want to buy outdated technology!!  well forget that one!  even the latest generation panel is outdated by 18 months- This is not an investment!

The 720 panel from panasonic was really excellent, the 1080 release after that was a bit rushed and real world contrast ratios were lower.

You will notice no difference on a 50in screen - in fact it handles any sd material far far better. This is the panel you should buy and forget 1080!  some pioneer offerings still offer 720 as its regarded for most as the better option

• 07-01-2008 2:54 PM In reply to

• mjmedlo
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-07-2008
    • Arkansas, USA
    • Posts 384
    • Bronze Member

355f. . do you speak from experience regarding the 720 vs. 1080??

also, would it change your mind if i watch blu ray appx. 2 or 3 times per week?? 

• 07-01-2008 3:50 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

mjmedlo:

355f. . do you speak from experience regarding the 720 vs. 1080??

also, would it change your mind if i watch blu ray appx. 2 or 3 times per week?? 

At The IFA electronics fair, when every major brand was pushing 1080, Pioneer uncovered their new screen- Individuals in the business all marvelled at the new 1080 pioneer and how far in advance of anything else it was- only to be told its 720!! I have had numerous 1080 and 720 panels on test also.

In the rush to develop 1080 panels  because it was the new marketing hype quality has gone down in other areas notably processing power - you need so much more power to control 1080 not less! and the power supplies themsleves to save on cost- as Hitachi screen owners are discovering the power supplies pack up after 1 year.

Onto your question of blue ray. Firstly, we have not one good profile 2 player on the market. The clunky 1 st generation sony BDP series or the new panasonics 30 and 50 - initial reviews are not good.

PS3 is about the best at the moment.  to me so much depends on mastering of the format and quality of the film, there is not that much that impresses for blue ray compared to good upscaled dvd. That said you will notice no difference from beyond 1 metre on a 50 in plasma but you gain so much more with 720 for the rest of your viewing

Nothing would change my mind unless I waited 9 months ( or 18 months for B&O) when the new longer life panels become available from panasonic. or 4 years when oled becomes reality and when it does LCD and plasma will be confined to history!

• 07-02-2008 10:42 AM In reply to

• mjmedlo
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-07-2008
    • Arkansas, USA
    • Posts 384
    • Bronze Member

Would the other readers agree that a 720 for a DEEPLY discounted price is the better bargain here?

I would like to get a panel I can keep for about 3-5 years and then replace at that point. .

probably with OLED and hopefully B&O will be using the OLED technology then. ..

• 07-02-2008 12:09 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

If you are getting the full warranty on the panel, and are only worried about the next 3-5 years, then I would say yes, it's worth it.

Russ 

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 07-02-2008 9:25 PM In reply to

>>I really don't know what 'officially' means in this case but the BS-3 shows<<

Beocare made a statement in their forum that they do not support other screens. 

Cheers

JK 

• 07-02-2008 9:30 PM In reply to

>>Would the other readers agree that a 720 for a DEEPLY discounted price is the better bargain here<<

If you plan on watching mostly HD then I would say no, if you watch DVD and normal TV I think it will be fine. I have 720P as well on my BV8 and am happy with PQ. In fact, I watch low resolution content most of the time, i.e. from the Itunes store. Not much of a point leaping after full HD.

Maybe you can compare the screen in store against a newer one?

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >