in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-06-2008 2:44 PM by Seanie_230. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-16-2008 8:58 PM

Is it possible to have a BV7 in one room, with one speaker, for instance a 7-1, and use the BS3 in the BV7 to run a BV4 and surround setup in another room?

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 06-16-2008 9:00 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Re: BV7

That ought to work, yes.  Just don't plan on anything more than a BeoLab 7-2 in the room with the BV-7.

Russ

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 06-16-2008 9:37 PM In reply to

Reading the instructions on the B and O web page I agree with you. My dealer says no, it can not be done. The B and O web page, on the BS3 main page, specifically says it will support up to 12 speakers including complete surround sound in two seperate rooms.

• 06-16-2008 9:56 PM In reply to

I have to look into this one! I was surprised to find this on the website. 

The intended use for the "dual sound stage" is in a room running a plasma on one wall and a drop screen on another where the speaker roles would rotate to accommodate a completely different viewing angle. As those with BeoLab 9s in the front and BeoLab 3s in the rear can imagine, this is a tricky prospect.

I'm going to look into this, as I said, and post the nature of the solution for Razlaw and other reference. I can't recall it ever being addressed in this way.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 06-16-2008 10:02 PM In reply to

I am thinking that the Cinema out on the BS3/BV7 may not have the control signals that are usually required to turn on off change picture etc.of the BV4.  I think sound would probably work.

Cheers

JK 

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 06-17-2008 8:28 AM In reply to

BV7 and BV3 clearly allow for two different "scenes" within one room, TV and Cinema. Also, each "scene" would require its own center channel so it must be possible to activate two different center channels. Why do they need to be in the same room?

Would it not be possible to turn the system on from the second room? Couldn't a second sensor for the remote be connected in the second room? 

Looking at the BV 7 guide on the B and O web page makes me think two full surround setups might be possible.

Page 33 speaks of both "TV Speaker Roles" and "Cinema Speaker Roles". Also on that page is a diagram showing both setups, using one set of speakers in the same room. Looking at the diagram it is clear certain speakers can be turned off in one scene, and in fact the option "none" exists under both "TV" and "Cinema" for speaker roles on page 33.

The connection panel has 7 powerlink sockets. Both pages 32 and 33 have illustrations showing the speaker roles menu, both of which show 12 speakers.

Page 18 mentions looping the signal in a pair and using the left/right switch, so it seems 2 speakers can be connected to each powerlink out.

So connect in pairs and in "Cinema" mode set the TV room speakers to "none" and in "TV" mode set the cinema room speakers to "none." 

Would this work?  If it would work, it still does not look possible to have seperate subs in each room, unless they can be looped and the BS3 will route the signal to one or the other just as with left/right as there is only one sub out, unless any powerlink can be assigned to sub. 

It was late at night and I was tired when I came up with this idea so I am sure I am missing something.

• 06-17-2008 4:40 PM In reply to

Thanks to all who have given me advice and input on which TV to purchase. We have placed an order for a BV7.

• 06-17-2008 5:18 PM In reply to

Had a look at the ref guide as this also interests me, see the following excert taken from page 19 & page 33, the only problem will be will the BV4 react to cinema command & switch to the correct input etc.

If the built-in receiver for the remote control signals

(IR-receiver) is hidden behind the lowered projection

screen, you must set up an external IR receiver, as

well. The IR-receiver is available as an optional

accessory from your Bang & Olufsen retailer.

Assign roles to speakers 

The speakers you connect to the television

can have more than one role. If, for example,

you only use one set of front speakers when

you watch TV on your television screen, you

can turn your chair ninety degrees towards a

projector screen and use those same speakers

as right front and rear speakers in a surround

sound system for Home cinema.

The speakers you connect to the television

can have more than one role. If, for example,

you only use one set of front speakers when

you watch TV on your television screen, you

can turn your chair ninety degrees towards a

projector screen and use those same speakers

as right front and rear speakers in a surround

sound system for Home cinema.

• 06-17-2008 5:42 PM In reply to

I don't think the IR receiver is a problem.  Page 13 of the BS3 guide and page 21 of the BV7 guide both mention the input for an IR receive for remote operation.

My thought for the powerlink connections is 1centre is for the Beolab 7-4 on the BV 7.

1 sub is for sub, 2 would be center in cinema, 3 and 4 would be front and rear pairs looped for TV room, 5 and 6 front and rear pairs looped for cinema room.

When setting the scene for the cinema room all tv room speakers are set to "none" so they stay turned off and vice versa.

If the system can control 12 speakers, and it can have two scenes in one room with two centers, I do not see why it would not work in two different rooms, except for the sub, so I guess one room must have Beolab 5s LOL.

• 06-18-2008 6:11 PM In reply to

The more I look at this, the more I think it is possible.

B and O indicates two screens, plasma and projector are possible in one room with the surround speakers changing roles to match the screen.  The placement of the second screen is irrelevant with respect to turning it on. The two screens could be next to each other, on two walls that meet in the corner, on opposite walls,.....or on the other side of a wall, in a different room. So, picture in a different room is no problem. The only issue is control which can be achieved with the IR input that is designed just for that purpose.   The BV7 and BS3 guides both mention an IR input for remote operation. See page 21 of BV7 Reference Book.

Obviously, each screen in the room has a center channel in addition to the four common speakers. Only one center channel would be active at a given time. Thus we know that one center channel can be activated in "TV" mode and a second center channel can be activated in "Cinema" mode.
    Now as for sound and the center channel. Assume the BV7 is in a room by itself, and further for simplicity assume there is no surround sound in the room it is in, just a Beolab 7.
    Assume the second room, the "Cinema" room has a BV4 and 5 speakers plus sub.
    Turning to page 33 of the Reference Book, the illustration of the menu from the BV7 shows that 12 speakers can be connected, just as the B and O web page description of the BS3 says. Each speaker needs to have a role assigned and a possible role is "NONE", or off, just as speakers C,D, and G in TV mode in the illustration also on page 33.
    So, in the BV7 room, "TV" mode, all speakers are set to "NONE"  except the center and when "TV" mode is activated, the only speaker turning on is the one attached to the BV7.
    Turning to the "Cinema" room, when assigning speaker roles under that scenario, the speaker on the BV7 is set to "NONE" and the speakers in the Cinema room are each assigned their roles. Even with full surround there will still be other non existant speakers on the menu with an assigned role of "NONE". Another role which can be assigned to a speaker in the "Cinema" mode is "Centre".
    This really seems to me like it would work. If not the BS3s 12 speaker capability is a waste. How would someone use 12 speakers in a single surround sound setup? "Cinema" mode only has 10 different speaker types available so to use 12 speakers would require 2 speakers to duplicate 2 other speakers.
    Comments?

• 06-19-2008 3:08 PM In reply to

Razlaw:

The more I look at this, the more I think it is possible.

Comments?

You write a lot!

Nevertheless it makes sense. I agree with you all the way. 

• 06-19-2008 5:53 PM In reply to

Thanks for your input!  I appreciate the vote of confidence in my opinion. Yes I do write a lot, occupational hazzard.

Our new BV7 is scheduled to arrive at the dealer today!

• 06-19-2008 11:18 PM In reply to

• mjmedlo
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-07-2008
    • Arkansas, USA
    • Posts 384
    • Bronze Member

Let us know if this works. . .

Theoretically, you could have your "cinema" room be anywhere within reach of a DVI room; seems to me that this would allow you to use 1 DVD player, 1 cable box, etc. to power 2 systems. I think you are correct that it will work.

If it does that gives me even more options for all of these B&O toys!

I'm ready for something new that I actually want to buy!

• 07-05-2008 11:15 AM In reply to

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

hi all i cannot see the cinema sound settings menu on my tv any idea why

i have a BV7 MK3 and i only get tv speaker setup under sound menu and format 0 does nothing?

Beovision 7 MKIV (Blu Ray)
    Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

• 07-05-2008 11:55 AM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Those features only activate once you have regtistered a second display device in the Connections menu.  Then you can step through all of the various assignments and settings.

Russ 

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 07-05-2008 12:59 PM In reply to

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

hi there

i had a second display added in the connections menu i called it generic projector??? i coudl still nont find the menu items?

Beovision 7 MKIV (Blu Ray)
    Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

• 07-06-2008 2:44 PM In reply to

• Seanie_230