in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-02-2008 10:38 AM by R Patton. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-31-2008 10:50 PM

Anyone familiar with this B&O device? DTS Bass Management Converter Beolab 5

E-Bay item 220241368766  DTS Bass Management Converter ???

What is it and can it can do what the seller is claiming?  No need for a BL 2 with the BL 8000's? 

I would have to think the seller is exagerating a little here.

Can anyone of the technical gurus at Beoworld explain what this is and what it really does? 

Thanks,

Roger 

• 05-31-2008 11:36 PM In reply to

• expoman
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • United States
    • Posts 222
    • Bronze Member

Re: Anyone familiar with this B&O device? DTS Bass Management Converter Beolab 5

This unit is used with the US Beosystem 1 and Beolab 5 speakers.  It combines the subwoofer channel with the front to allow the Beolab 5's to do the work of a sub like the Beolab 2.  Will not work with other speakers and only works with Beosystem 1.
  • 06-01-2008 2:04 PM In reply to

Re: Anyone familiar with this B&O device? DTS Bass Management Converter Beolab 5

Wouldn't just setting the menu to Beolab 5 accomplish the same thing? We have a USA Avant connected to Beolab 9s in front and 1s in the rear. I have the menu set to Beolab 5 as 9 is not an option. If I connect a sub to sub connection and activate, it seems as all bass is deirected away from the 9s. The 9s bass is so good I did not want to do this and I was quite happy with the 9s bass with no sub. My wife, howver, wanted more bass when watching movies. To solve it I connected the sub to one of the 9s. I seem to habve full range now, the sub only activates when very lowest frequencies are sent out. I have the crossover on the Velodyne sub set to 40hz so it seems to me the only overlap between the 9s and the sub is in the 30-40hz range.

I had assumed that since the 5s need no sub, setting the menu to Beolab 5 sent full range, including the deepest bass throught to the front speakers.

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 06-01-2008 2:19 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

There is definitely no need for a subwoofer with the BeoLab 5s - in fact they outperform any other subwoofer I've heard on the market in regards to control, maximum SPL output, musicality and extension (heck they go easily into subsonic frequencies).

There is however, an argument which says that by using BeoLab 5s, you are completely disregarding the '.1' channel encoded in the movie, and that the bass which is going to the main speakers isn't actually the same as the bass which would normally go to the subwoofer.

Then again - every movie I've seen with BeoLab 5s involved has been outstanding!

Weekly top artists:                   

• 06-01-2008 2:35 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

R Patton:

No need for a BL 2 with the BL 8000's? 

Surprise

You can't get a quart out of a pint pot!!

Poor me, never win owt!

• 06-01-2008 11:31 PM In reply to

• expoman
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • United States
    • Posts 222
    • Bronze Member

Alex is correct this box was created to allow the .1 bass signal to be directed to the Beolab 5's.  The bass you tap off the front speakers is not all the information put into movies by the dolby or DTS track.   

• 06-02-2008 10:38 AM In reply to

Based on some earlier posts I located on the forum, the Beosystem 1 has some quirks when dealing with low frequencies, (2 channel vs 5.1 etc.) and this device has also been used in combination with the Beolab 2 and other Beolab speakers as well to solve the issue.

Still not sure what it really does, but I guess if I don't have a problem, I won't worry.  Just thought if the BL 8000's could be improved, it might be worth looking into.

Thanks everybody!

Roger 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)