in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-15-2008 8:05 AM by 9 LEE. 62 replies.
Page 3 of 3 (63 items) < Previous 1 2 3
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-13-2008 7:21 PM In reply to

Re: How far is too far?

Linder, might you live in the Chicago area in the US?

I also agree with some of your ideas. Especially that a software environment like Apple TV is essentially the future. I also must say in Apple's defense that the limitations of their platform are largely a byproduct of the strictures of content protections. As content originators find ways to ease into the oncoming marketplace and media can move more freely, I'm sure the AppleTV will open up a bit without loosing stability.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 05-13-2008 7:33 PM In reply to

TripEnglish:

Linder, might you live in the Chicago area in the US?

I also agree with some of your ideas. Especially that a software environment like Apple TV is essentially the future. I also must say in Apple's defense that the limitations of their platform are largely a byproduct of the strictures of content protections. As content originators find ways to ease into the oncoming marketplace and media can move more freely, I'm sure the AppleTV will open up a bit without loosing stability.

Ah!  You picked up on that big box store in Glenview.  That place is amazing.  I do live in Chicago,USA.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 05-13-2008 7:40 PM In reply to

I remember the first time I went out there (I live back east, but you might be aware that BOA is in a Chicago suburb) and saw the Plasma windmill in the court there where the B&O shop is located. 

I can't recall any specific statistics, but they do a measurable percentage of the nationwide business of many of the brands they carry. I don't know if there's another place on earth like it.

For anyone interested, if you're ever visiting the Chicago area and love electronics, Abt Electronics is worth a visit. It makes Circuit City look like a Radio Shack. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 05-13-2008 7:57 PM In reply to

• Dude1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-18-2007
    • London
    • Posts 189
    • Bronze Member

Another juicy thread lambasting poor Bang -  i love it!  So im gonna wade in and give my thoughts - everyone else has - and its morbid!Big Smile

Just a couple of quick points, to juice it up a bit more.

Bang has always been

• Expensive.
    • Exclusive.
    • The annoyance of those who cannot afford it.
    • Something to aspire to.
    • Differentiated from other brands.

So now we have that out of the way i cant see the point of this thread, it sounds like a lot of whinging people who are upset because its getting expensive to buy the products, but yet its never been all that cheap....

Lets get real, i cant afford much of the portfolio either. Nor can i afford  a Ferrari, or even a decent Fiat so i guess i will have to start concentrating on saving a bit harder....My first Bang purchase took 2 yrs of solid saving and my friends, family and acquantiances thought i was mad - still do and yes the 3000 is outdated now but to be honest i couldnt care less.  I enjoy the product it makes me smile everytime i use it.

The TV's - Bangvisions & Olufsen Big Smile are the exclusive domain of privelaged who can afford them. There are many reasons why Bang are more expensive, which i have waded into before and i beleive that they do have a great life span - but it is true that other manufacturers are actching up in pic quality - but very little else.  I passed a Sony shop the other day and cringed at the pic quality on a small LCD.  At the end of the day they dont represent great value for everyone - but they never always have.

I am prepared to pay more for the brand as itsmade in DK. The day its all made in China will be a sad day for the consumers of the brand, lets hope its doesnt come to that. 

Anyway, have a great day everyone!

• 05-14-2008 2:35 AM In reply to

concerning trip's comments re the appletv , maybe he'd like to consult alex or sound proof , who seem to love it

other users too - in this thread - http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/thread/114359.aspx

popgear is grate™

• 05-14-2008 2:57 AM In reply to

AppleTV and the iTunes Store are a revolution, and are fast becoming the new medium for propagation of content. I don't see any limitations, just opportunities.
    There's a reason why HBO signed with Apple yesterday - they're going to be offering all of their shows on ATV when they are released on DVD; and there's a reason why all the major film studios have signed to make their new releases available simultaneously with their DVD-launches.

And you don't need an AppleTV to check out what's up. Go to iTunes>iTunes Store on your computer, and start surfing the podcasts from various providers. All of BBC's programs, just about every other national broadcaster, thousands of hours of free content available; plus very inexpensive content that can be purchased through an account.
    I've almost stopped watching the content from the STB. I'm even getting my evening news through podcasts these days.

And do note that ATV works with both Apple and Windows machines.

Weaknesses: I would like to be able to surf the web through the ATV, that's not possible -- which is why I also have a Mac mini connected to the TV. That's it.

I believe Apple/AppleTV/Macs/iPods/iPhones/iTunes are becoming the new medium for audio/visual content, and that manufacturers/providers simply have to accept this and work with it if they wish to remain relevant. Trying to come up with viable alternatives is proving a challenge even for those who have deep coffers - even SONY is lagging behind what Apple is offering.
    (A simple thought experiment. As of just a few days ago, there were tens of thousands of independent developers of SDK solutions for the iPhone/iPod Touch, all working away at their individual proposals for how to give those gadgets increased functionality, and intending to sell their solutions through the iTunes Store when it launches SDK products in June. How on earth can anyone compete with a company that has 30.000 developers working away on solutions around the globe? Some of those solutions will stink, and a lot will be as brilliant as Remote Buddy or better.)

• 05-14-2008 3:13 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I find mine very stable? Sure it crashes once every few weeks, but it's pretty darned stable given how new the software is...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 05-14-2008 3:22 AM In reply to

@Dude1

I agree with the general premise -- B&O is supposed to be expensive AND excellent.
    This thread discusses the  extent to which people are willing to continue paying premium prices when the excellence isn't as evident in all of their products. There's no general rule that says rich people are dumb, quite to the contrary.

I'm willing to pay quite a bit of money for high quality foie de gras. I'd get somewhat upset if I found out it's repackaged chicken liver and grease in a fancy box.

• 05-14-2008 3:34 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

soundproof:

I'm willing to pay quite a bit of money for high quality foie de gras. I'd get somewhat upset if I found out it's repackaged chicken liver and grease in a fancy box.

QED!

LaughingLaughing

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 05-14-2008 6:53 PM In reply to

• Dude1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-18-2007
    • London
    • Posts 189
    • Bronze Member

Totally agree with you Soundproof! 

• 05-15-2008 1:45 AM In reply to

I actually do like the idea of AppleTV, I just don't like the interface on it. Just a personal preference. I prefer the BeoMedia interface and have altered mine to do nearly everything ATV does except live rentals. SP is dead right, though, that the concept of a set-top-box that aggregates all forms of content is practically unbeatable. This is really my only concern about the BeoSound 5, that an external box of that scale may not be called for. A tablet remote with the BeoMedia screen on it to navigate content in link rooms might be all that's necessary, but otherwise it seems that major media interaction now lives on the television screen. 

• 05-15-2008 7:54 AM In reply to

Dude1 wrote: " Lets get real, i cant afford much of the portfolio either. Nor can i afford  a Ferrari, or even a decent Fiat so i guess i will have to start concentrating on saving a bit harder...."

I like your avatar, Dude1, the coupe Fiat always has been one of my favourites. And about the savings: comes time, comes money.... I started with a decent Opel Corsa, changed it for a Fiat barchetta (great car was that) and now drive a Jaguar XKR convertible and RR Sport SC, so be patient, it will be yours Yes -  thumbs up

Speaking of cars: I bought the Fiat Barchetta in 1996 for NLG 40.000, which is some eur 18.000
    a comparible car now (like a BMW 1-series convertible) would cost at least EUR 35.000 (in the netherlands). So, from that perspective B&O is just keeping up pace......

Of course I would like to buy B&O at 50% of the price, but I would not like B&O to become as available to every one like an Apple, afterall its also about exclusivity.

So my message to B&O: I don't mind if you stay that expensive, but please make sure that quality, design and innovation remain the best and top of the market.

Cheers, this time from the borders of lake Como, Italy

• 05-15-2008 8:05 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

I think i mentioned in a thread a while back that i'm happy to pay a premium for Bang & Olufsen made in Denmark.

Saying that though, as quite rightly mentioned - to charge a premium price you need to be premium quality - this is what B&O are hopefully focusing on.  I wish B&O could make their own panels - i'm sure they would be world class, but that can't happen i know.

I'm actually quite excited to see what B&O do next, along with how and when. If they pull through, it will be a business lesson to us all and i'm sure they will.

Lee

Smile 

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

Page 3 of 3 (63 items) < Previous 1 2 3