in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-06-2008 4:32 PM by petz. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-05-2008 5:24 PM

• petz
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 09-30-2007
    • Posts 47
    • Bronze Member

New AV set-up

Dear all, please let me know your thoughts on the following new AV system I plan to install. Electrician will start with all wirings in a couple of days after having met B&O technician last week. Here is what I plan:

* living room: BV7-40 with BL7-4 and BL8000, rear speakers may be for a later stage only as my wife doesn't need the 5.1 and I'll have a separate 5.1 system in

* Mac will be used as server and I'll wait for the BS5 to be out (initially planned was the Beosound 3200 with Beomedia)

* hobby room will be linked with BL3500

* children's bedrooms: no B&O wirings

* parents bedroom: either a linked BL3500 or a linked BV8 (not yet decided as we didn't have a TV in our bedroom till now and didn't really miss it)

* below roof: homecinema & hifi and fitness room (57 m2), PS3 will be played as well and used as blueray player; viewing distance 4 m, BS3 with a  big Pioneer plasma, BL9 as front, BL7-2 and BL6000 for rear

Thanks for comments

Patrizio

• 05-05-2008 5:35 PM In reply to

Re: New AV set-up

That sounds like a great setup. Good decision to use the PS3 as your blu-ray player. There is a program called MediaLink that you can download for $20. It will allow you to wirelessly stream nearly all music and video content (including divx) from your mac to your PS3. I use this, and it serves as an excellent media server. You might want to add an Apple TV. With this, you can create (via HandBrake) a digital library of your favorite dvds and you can rent movies. Apple TV will also enable you to have a great interface (with cover art) for browsing and playing your music from iTunes.

• 05-05-2008 5:41 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I would recommend BeoLab 3s instead of the 8000s. The 7-4 and BL8000s don't match each other acoustically due to the Acoustic Lenses and other technologies. This will sound 'wrong', the 7-4 will seem to stick out in the sound. I'd recommend BeoLab 3s as the acoustic lenses seem to significantly change the high frequencies.

Good move waiting for the 'BeoSound 5' though, it sounds as though it's going to be pretty fantastic.

Also, I would recommend the BeoLab 10 or BeoLab 7-4 as a centre channel for the surround sound setup in the home cinema room, the 7-2 may look nice and simple/clean, but it's not so smart sonically (it's actually two speakers, and this is really something to be avoided when used as a centre channel).

Weekly top artists:                   

• 05-06-2008 4:15 AM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

Look for Lexcom cables (ethernet to Masterlink or Powerlink). Use CAT7 cabling (shielded) and you will be futureproof.

Look at one of my posts for pictures on this issue.

Ralf

My Beo: Beosound 3000, Beolab 4000, Beo 4 DVD,  Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000, Beovox S45.2 with Stands, Beosystem 7000 black with Beolink 7000, Beolink 1000, F1000 (3 cubes), Beovox 5000, Beovox 3000, Attyca 1.

• 05-06-2008 4:11 PM In reply to

• petz
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 09-30-2007
    • Posts 47
    • Bronze Member

Thanks beojeff. Sounds interesting. With this set-up it seems that a BS5 wouldn't be needed?
  • 05-06-2008 4:30 PM In reply to

• petz
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 09-30-2007
    • Posts 47
    • Bronze Member

Wife loves design of 8000's! She didn't listen to them in the store......for the living room she will put more attention on the design.  Have to make concessions as the whole set-up will cost a bit of money and she has never been fanatic about hifi or homecinema setups. She was a bit surprised by the needed investment.......I have been attracted by hifi since I was youngster, but fell in love with B&O only a couple of years ago. Therefore I only have a Beocom 4 and a Beosound 3 so far. I was waiting for the new house and am right now following developments of B&O TV's before buying one.

Though I note your point. Anyway I have planned to spend a decent amount of time in the store to make the final call. We plan to enter the new house in October so I'll have time for this.

Thanks

• 05-06-2008 4:32 PM In reply to

• petz
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 09-30-2007
    • Posts 47
    • Bronze Member

kallasr:

Look for Lexcom cables (ethernet to Masterlink or Powerlink). Use CAT7 cabling (shielded) and you will be futureproof.

Look at one of my posts for pictures on this issue.

Ralf

Will mention it to my dealer.

Thanks 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)